Mount Kanlaon Volcano on Negros Erupts

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wife said she heard it erupt and she’s over 150km away! 

CEBU CITY, Philippines – State seismologists have issued Alert Level 1 over Mount Kanlaon as the volcano erupted and spewed kilometers-high plume into the night sky on Monday, June 3.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) confirmed at 7:05 p.m. of ongoing steam-driven or phreatic eruption in Kanlaon.

The eruption began at 6:51 p.m., according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC). The volcano then produced gray-colored plume with a height of 5,000 meters, Phivolcs said.

Philvolcs also said they are maintaining Alert Level 1 to signal a low-level unrest but are advising for vigilance.

Edited by Gator
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Gator changed the title to Mount Kanlaon Volcano on Negros Erupts
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Philippines has regular volcanic eruptions, typhoons and earthquakes.  I take comfort in knowing that there are no snowstorms.  We must look at the positive side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

B7BBF608-1D67-4F57-9453-5B14EF17352D.jpeg

2CE32166-2F0B-4C12-A6C6-E51DBD574017.jpeg

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I live about 40km as the crow flies from this, and honestly didn't hear a thing.  I only knew about it as the weather Youtuber I watch reported on it at about 9pm.  As the linked video states no ash in in our direction (we're on the east side of the island) and it was overcast last night so didn't even get to see the light show. 

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Gator said:

Wife said she heard it erupt and she’s over 150km away! 

I'm 75 miles away, as the crow flies. Never heard anything apart from the wife's complaining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I'm 75 miles away, as the crow flies. Never heard anything apart from the wife's complaining.

must resist.jpg

• Haha 1