Foreigner robbed by ride-hailing app driver

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The commentary of the video is not in English but the text of the article is; I have to say his surprises me a bit, I've generally found the ride app drivers to be better than the taxi drivers.

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/topstories/metro/909153/foreigner-robbed-by-ride-hailing-app-driver/story/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR14kVWQkt-mNsAWlLAUi_ayJoefNugWhNPIjY1xJBXQxXTwoeihtu7YF0U_aem_ARFYXgsudQsnR_QOwrCGFOdv2R4VGC8p5pDeKq7HXf6vD07T5t12sPKGIdwvR4LPI7eU63TUvYw4kkmN5pnx3PIi

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It's a strange way to rob someone because there is an electronic footprint created.  Some of the newer apps can trace the exact route taken by the vehicle from point A to B.  I am glad they caught the guy.  Hopefully the story is extensively publicized so other drivers will learn about it and become discourage them from doing the same.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

It's a strange way to rob someone because there is an electronic footprint created.  Some of the newer apps can trace the exact route taken by the vehicle from point A to B.  I am glad they caught the guy.  Hopefully the story is extensively publicized so other drivers will learn about it and become discourage them from doing the same.

Well that's that then, we will hear no more

Edited by Jack Peterson
correction
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My thought as well, it's a bit odd.  Unless the perpertrator stole the vehicle and the phone with the driver's app on it as well as phone's password.  Either that or the actual owner of the vehicle is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic and doesn't understand he can be tracked. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well that's that then, we will no hear no more

More than likely Jack. It would be interesting to learn more though kinda strange but then again it's a Filipino related incident.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

doesn't understand he can be tracked. 

IMHO, i bet that is what he was counting on, that the PNP or local Tanods where just to lazy to give a rats patootie 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

IMHO, i bet that is what he was counting on, that the PNP or local Tanods where just to lazy to give a rats patootie 

I'm pretty sure the ride share company would care... a lot.  

They're getting most of their customers because they market themselves as 'better than taxis' (which to be fair most of the time they are).

Maybe some behind the scenes pressure?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

My thought as well, it's a bit odd.  Unless the perpertrator stole the vehicle and the phone with the driver's app on it as well as phone's password.  Either that or the actual owner of the vehicle is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic and doesn't understand he can be tracked. 

According to the article, he was the owner of the vehicle so your last suggestion seems the likely one.  

I wonder if the fact the victim was from the DR rather than Europe/USA/Australia etc played a part i.e. the crook thought the police wouldn't be that interested? 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

This is also surprising to me. In the article it said "upon arriving in San Juan, the driver suddenly changed his route. "  On more than one occasion I have received a message from Grab on their app asking if everything was OK usually when the driver strayed too far off the path chosen by the app and usually at our request to make a side stop (which most of the drivers don't like much even if we promise to tip them on the app for their troubles) and there is a safety feature that you can alert Grab immediately if you are concerned for your safety,  They will also send you a message if you remain stationary for a long time and ask what is causing the delay (traffic, etc) and if you are OK.  You can also follow your location on the app during the drive if you feel like the driver is taking you off course (or driving in circles).  I'm assuming it was Grab because I saw a Grab sticker on the car windshield in the video.  Still, it is always advisable to be aware of what is going on around you no matter where you are but I must confess I have been laxed with that when using Grab lately since we haven't had any issues (yet) and as mentioned earlier in this thread the app tracks and monitors the path taken by the driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2