POGO

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

CNN/FOXNews so I am not up to date with latest anti Chinese propaganda Americans are exposed to.

I live in the Philippines and the only "propaganda" in the news here is the chinese harassing the Filipino fishermen and coast guard, and their continued development and occupation of Filipino territory.   Is any of that biased or misleading?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2024 at 3:02 AM, OnMyWay said:

Brings to mind what what is happening at the U.S. Southern border.  Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of young, fit, Chinese men with sharp military haircuts crossing the border. 

I'll need to see a cite for this before I believe it.

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I live in the Philippines and the only "propaganda" in the news here is the chinese harassing the Filipino fishermen and coast guard, and their continued development and occupation of Filipino territory.   Is any of that biased or misleading?

Sounds very one sided. I guess that's how the news was working in the cold war era as well.

In a couple of days I will be flying a Boeing for 12h and I am really scared that it will brake mid air and would rather fly with a Chinese aircraft. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

Sounds very one sided. I guess that's how the news was working in the cold war era as well.

In a couple of days I will be flying a Boeing for 12h and I am really scared that it will brake mid air and would rather fly with a Chinese aircraft. :laugh:

ok

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2024 at 6:51 PM, hk blues said:

Most young Chinese have sharp military haircuts though - I wouldn't read too much into that alone.  

I also watched a doco about this, the US border guards were even assisting them. Most if not all possessed a flash fone.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder that politics, other than Philippine politics, are not allowed per forum rules.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The topic is Chinese flooding into Philippines and POGO. 

Please no more USA border chat here. Thanks for understanding.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This is interesting.  I wonder if China would pay to offset the expense/lost revenue if all the POGO were shut down?

https://www.rappler.com/philippines/china-urges-shut-offshore-gambling-firms/

(1st UPDATE) 'We appeal to the Philippines to ban POGO at an early date so as to root out this social ill,' the Chinese embassy says in a statement
MANILA, Philippines – China urged the Philippines on Friday, June 14, to stamp out offshore gambling, an online industry it described as a “social ill” encouraging crimes such as kidnapping, human trafficking and murder.

Senior Philippine government officials have expressed concerns about the continued presence of illegal Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGO), several of which are run by Chinese companies. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said last month they might pose a national security risk and a senator has put forward a bill to outlaw them, but their fate is currently unclear.

The online gaming industry emerged in the Philippines in 2016 and grew exponentially as operators capitalized on liberal gaming laws to target customers in China, where gambling is banned.

Manila has however cracked down on illegal POGOs, which the gaming regulator Pagcor said on Thursday numbered 250 to 300, compared to 46 licensed operators. In the past year, China has helped the Philippines to shut five POGO hubs and repatriate a thousand Chinese.

• Hmm thinking 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

It appears that the Chines government wants this mess gone also----so why isn't it-----$$$$$ can be the only reason.

Chinese embassy urges Philippines to ban POGOs

Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) should be outlawed as they have become havens for various crimes, China's embassy in Manila said Friday.

“Ample evidence shows that POGO breeds serious crimes such as kidnapping for ransom, human trafficking, and murder. POGO is detrimental to both Philippine and Chinese interests and images, as well as China-Philippines relations,” the embassy said in a statement.

“The Chinese government is committed to protecting the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese citizens. We appeal to the Philippines to ban POGO at an early date so as to root out this social ill,” it added.

The statement came following the raid on a POGO hub in Porac, Pampanga, earlier this month, which has prompted calls for a Senate investigation.

During the raid, more than 150 foreigners were rescued, including Chinese, Malaysian, Burmese, and Vietnamese citizens. Some of those who were rescued were torture and kidnapping victims.

Further, the Chinese embassy said that Beijing does not tolerate any forms of gambling, noting that the Philippines and China have cracked down on several illegal activities together in the past.

“The Chinese government strictly cracks down on Chinese citizens engaging in gambling business abroad, including POGO,” the embassy said.

“In recent years, the Chinese and Philippine law enforcement agencies have maintained close communication and cooperation and conducted multiple joint operations to bring down cross-border gambling and telecom fraud,” it added. “Since 2018, nearly 3,000 Chinese citizens implicated in the cases have been repatriated with the joint efforts of both sides.”

In 2023, the Chinese government helped the Philippines shut down five POGO hubs and repatriate nearly 1,000 Chinese citizens, the embassy said.

Recent raids at POGO hubs have prompted debates among government officials over the potential harm these enterprises pose to national security and the possibility of banning them.

Meanwhile, the Chinese embassy said that they “firmly oppose any baseless accusation and smearing against China in connection with POGO.” —VBL, GMA Integrated News

Chinese embassy urges Philippines to ban POGOs (msn.com)