Home Ownership and Real Estate taxes

"P2"
Posted
Posted

Just curious to know of the members here who live in the Philippines and own a home, what are real estate taxes like? What are the rates? Taxes on a 200k home?  

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Very low. In my area taxes are not evaluated as in the states, upon the houses estimated worth, but on the area. I do not remember the exact cost (if you wait until the wife gets up I will ask lol) but we pay the property tax on three houses (2 for overseas family members homes) and if memory serves all three come in under 20k pesos.

An interesting factoid, it seems that most cities have an amnesty period. If you pay your taxes early you get a discount. Here if you pay in November its 20%, December 10%. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here in Moalboal the rate is 2% of the property value.  Also lower accessed value than true value seems to be the rule.  Not sure if true everywhere, but here Moalboal you also get a 10% discount if you pay the full bill prior to first installment due instead of four equal payments.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

For my Makati condo , its P56,000 a year. They run good organised collection places throughout November December and January, inside condos , parks etc.

Weirdly, when handing over 56 x P1000 notes, their collection staff never have bank note counter machines.. always counted by hand.  They always do by hand.

And the tax price, hasnt gone up in past 6 years.. in fact Makati has very high cash reserves ( over P34 billion ) and is considering cutting Real Property Taxes for late 2024/2025 payments !

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo we pay around 4.5k php per year for both land and building.  If we pay before the end of the previous financial year we get a 10% discount.   It doesn't seem to have increased in the 9 years we have been here.  

If my tax is anything to go by you will be looking at 10K but that's a guestimate. 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

When real estate is sold there is a tax. They call it "value added tax" but it's what we would call "sales tax". It's 6%. Most everyone lies to the government about the price paid so as to minimize tax paid. If the proceeds are used to buy or develop other real estate within 18 months it's refundable.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

loilo we pay around 4.5k php per year for both land and building

WOW, that is cheap, I was paying about 30k a year

jimeve
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

We pay 21k for land and two houses and that's near the beach.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

That's way more than anyone around me - we all pay in the region of 3-5k a year.

Here's a pic of our place -

Facade of an old abandoned wooden house. Clip. Ruined dark brown building.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

That's way more than anyone around me - we all pay in the region of 3-5k a year.

Here's a pic of our place -

Facade of an old abandoned wooden house. Clip. Ruined dark brown building.

I am assuming you have the top room to ensure you get a nice breeze :)