Sharing too much.....

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 6/14/2024 at 9:16 PM, Possum said:

we will probably look at something new but less expensive like a Toyota Raize or Honda BRV/HRV

An add-on to my comments about the Jimny purchase, above... We love our Raize. We don't drive a lot, but when we do, it's a nice car. It is very miserly on gas - better than 10km/litre in town and more than 14 on the highway.

I only wish it sat a bit higher like my old Mazda SUV but I guess some day I could splurge and buy bigger wheels and tires?

It is plenty peppy and I like the good traction with the front wheel drive. The back seats are not so roomy, but there is a decent size storage area behind them. It also seems to have most electronics anyone might want, especially with the entertainment system and interface to cell phone controlled by buttons on the steering wheel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2024 at 11:38 AM, Tommy T. said:

It is very miserly on gas - better than 10km/litre in town and more than 14 on the highway.

I am amazed at our little Suzuki S-presso,  16 liter/km in town, and 20 on the highway.  A small engine but I have spun the tires on a few occasions.  Love the exhaust "snarling cougar" sound if you put your foot down.  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Edit - I just realized we/I have wandered off topic.  Sorry @Old55

Edited by Mike J
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I just realized we/I have wandered off topic.  Sorry

Its ok Mike, I will continue the off topic train lol. Thanks, I have been waiting for a review of the espesso, It will be our next car when I reach the point of not being able to get in and out of that ridiculously low vios I have now. I have looked at them, sat in them, but was worried about that it might not have the "guts" to go up to Tagaytay or travel at freeway speeds. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Still off topic, but sort of continuing the thread? I hope this is okay?

We have had our Raize for a year now. We love this car as noted above. It still fills our niche for a small SUV and parking it is a breeze. It took over 9 months for the real, steel license plates to arrive and so I finally installed them.

We also just received our Jimny 3-door a couple weeks ago. Amazingly, we also received the steel license plates at the same time as the OR/CR from LTO. Our dealer rep was very good and followed up on everything for us. We have hardly driven the newest car, but it has everything - automatic air/con, headlight washers, headlight adjustment for when carrying heavy loads, a big entertainment/ info view screen, tilt and forward/backward inclinometers, altimeter, compass plus cruise control! So many things for such a small car. It is plenty roomy for my 6'1" frame in front... Too bad for anyone who might sit in back! It has more bells and whistles than I can count, but is definitely for two people normally and four in a pinch. It also has great ground clearance. I have already tried the four wheel drive option when trying to park the car on slippery, wet grass. What a difference that extra traction made! Oh... I almost forgot... The engine is still in break-in mode so I can't really test it much, but a couple of times I put my foot in it and there is plenty of power - I was pleasantly surprised by that. The doors are heavy, so must really be slammed to shut properly. That's fine with me. Except for front and rear bumpers made of plastic, the rest of the body and frame are very solid and heavy. Again, I am pleased.

As everything, there is a rub. The warranty on the Suzuki (also known as Samarai in some countries) is three years. However, other than the first two or three warranty services that are free, after that, we must pay for each service, which can run up to 20k or more depending on the level of service and once every three months.. That will be expensive in the long run of three years. Full insurance coverage with Standard Insurance is about 30k+/- annually right now.

On the other hand, the Toyota warranty is for two years. but all services are free up to that point. They all have mileage limits too, but we will never reach them since we don't drive many distance trips. Full insurance coverage with Standard Insurance is similar to the Suzuki at around 30k+/- annually.

I hope this info is helpful to anyone shopping for new cars or new/used cars.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

On the other hand, the Toyota warranty is for two years. but all services are free up to that point. They all have mileage limits too, but we will never reach them since we don't drive many distance trips. Full insurance coverage with Standard Insurance is similar to the Suzuki at around 30k+/- annually.

We just renewed our insurance for our 1 year old Raize 2 weeks ago with Stronghold - Toyota recommended insurer -and paid 'only' 19k.  30k seems very high. 

Gas
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We just renewed our insurance for our 1 year old Raize 2 weeks ago with Stronghold - Toyota recommended insurer -and paid 'only' 19k.  30k seems very high. 

Does that include AOG (act of god!) coverage?
There are a lot of optional add- ons when it comes to Philippine car insurance which can make a big difference to the price. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Could be. The only way to compare is item by item of coverage. I really am not interested to do that. All I know is that I feel comfortable that the car is totally covered against all issues.

And I don't remember the rates exactly... just going by failing memory!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gas said:

Does that include AOG (act of god!) coverage?
There are a lot of optional add- ons when it comes to Philippine car insurance which can make a big difference to the price. 

No idea - just asked for the full coverage and I got what they gave me.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Could be. The only way to compare is item by item of coverage. I really am not interested to do that. All I know is that I feel comfortable that the car is totally covered against all issues.

And I don't remember the rates exactly... just going by failing memory!

Yep...no doubt there will be differences between coverage but I'm surprised Toyota didn't try to upsell mine if there was a more profitable one available seeing as I'm obviously a foreigner.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

With us, L handled all the transactions, so they were all Filipino-Filipino deals. I stayed out of it. And I don't remember the exact amounts - shooting from the hip here.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1