LTO to charge dealers of cars, motorcycles for late issuance of OR/CR

Lee
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines — Consequences await agents and dealers of cars and motorcycles who fail to release license plates and Official Receipt/Certificate of Registration (OR/CR) on time, according to the Land Transportation Office (LTO).

LTO chief Assistant Secretary Vigor Mendoza II said they already started to process measures to combat erring motor vehicle agents and car and motorcycle dealerships that refuse to follow the agency’s guidelines on releasing the documents.

“We already have an initial list of the agents and their dealerships that were recommended for sanctions, including fines and suspension of accreditation,” Mendoza said in a statement on Sunday.

Mendoza said the agency’s move was also under President Ferdinand Marcos Jr’s order, instructing the Department of Transportation to address the issue.

“In a memorandum issued to the DOTr, Malacañang emphasized that all vehicle dealers must comply with the LTO’s prescribed processing timelines for the release of motor vehicles plates.

Included in the memorandum is the imposition of the necessary penalties, such as termination of dealership, on dealers who fail to comply,” the statement reads.

Citing the LTO’s guidelines, the official reminded that all the agency’s offices must release the license plates and OR/CR to the motor vehicle dealerships within five days after all the documentary requirements are submitted.

For motor vehicle dealerships, the offices have six days to release them to their respective clients.

28 agents identified

Mendoza said the LTO had identified 28 erring agents and has already crafted and submitted a resolution for their penalties, ranging from a fine of P20,000 to P500,000 and one month to six months suspension of accreditation.

In line with this, owners of new motor vehicles are urged to report erring LTO agents and motorcycle dealerships through the agency’s social media accounts or AksyON THE SPOT at 0929 292 0865.

LTO to charge dealers of cars, motorcycles for late issuance of OR/CR (msn.com)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Philippines - We have a problem.  Fix the blame. :1927_:

best comment.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Ridiculous.  We bought a new car a few months back.  It takes the LTO weeks to get back any kind of paperwork, OR/CR, much less the plates which are yet to arrive.  It took LTO ten weeks to get the the OR/CR to the dealer.  The dealer sent a txt message with photo the same day they arrived and shipped out the actual document via DHL the same day.  This is not the fault of the dealer, it is LTO and their typical screwed up system.  

First world country - We have a problem.  Fix the problem. :thumbsup:

Philippines - We have a problem.  Fix the blame. :1927_:

Not surprisingly, this must be a local issue as I'm sure we got our OR/CR along with TPL insurance certificate within a week or so of buying the car.  That said, when we picked up the plates we had to get a revised OR/CR and that took about 3 months so go figure.  Actually, I thought the 'temporary' authorisation to drive without OR/CR was only valid for a week but I guess that's incidental.  We got the plates in about 2 months or so.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The OR/CR that arrived after 10 weeks included a cover letter which says the "conduction sticker" is valid until such times as the plates arrive.   Conduction sticker is the sticker on the windshield with a number that matches the number on sort of temporary front and back plate.  Dealer did warn us that without that letter it was not legal to drive the vehicle after 10 days if I remember correctly.   We bought the vehicle in Dumaguete. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

The OR/CR that arrived after 10 weeks included a cover letter which says the "conduction sticker" is valid until such times as the plates arrive.   Conduction sticker is the sticker on the windshield with a number that matches the number on sort of temporary front and back plate.  Dealer did warn us that without that letter it was not legal to drive the vehicle after 10 days if I remember correctly.   We bought the vehicle in Dumaguete. 

Right, which is why I asked about driving the car after a week (could be 10 days) without the cover letter as you said you got it only after 10 weeks - 9 weeks or so beyond the deadline.  Our dealership gave us the cover letter when we bough the car - on the day - and said it was valid for a week (maybe 10 days) and by then we would have the OR/CR.  As far as I'm aware, the issue isn't driving without the proper plate (as long as the conduction sticker is displayed and matches the temp. plates) but without the OR/CR as this has to be handed over if/when there is any incident/accident.  Even with the cover letter the dealership told us the LTO/Police could choose to not accept the letter as it's not technically covered in the law but unlikely they would - the alternative is to have the nice, shiny new car parked outside your house until the OR/CR is received! 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Even with the cover letter the dealership told us the LTO/Police could choose to not accept the letter as it's not technically covered in the law but unlikely they would - the alternative is to have the nice, shiny new car parked outside your house until the OR/CR is received!

Here is a copy of the cover letter that arrived with the OR/CR is from the LTO.    Is this what you received from the dealer on day one?  

image.png

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Here is a copy of the cover letter that arrived with the OR/CR is from the LTO.    Is this what you received from the dealer on day one?  

image.png

No - that is only related to the plates, I never received such a cover letter and it seems unnecessary to me as the conduction sticker system already covers that base, surely?  The cover letter I'm referring to was authorisation to drive with no OR/CR.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No - that is only related to the plates, I never received such a cover letter and it seems unnecessary to me as the conduction sticker system already covers that base, surely?  The cover letter I'm referring to was authorisation to drive with no OR/CR.

Hmmm, I was told the conduction sticker was only valid with the LTO permission letter.  And the LTO is REQUIRED to supply that letter within 10 days of request.  This is the same organization that cannot supply plates, annual stickers, or plastic driver licenses on a reliable basis.  So a motorist can be fined for not having the required letter that takes 10 weeks, in our case, to be delivered.  Reminded me when LTO threatened to fine folks for not picking up their plates within 15 days.  The same plates that had been sitting in LTO offices for years without being sent out.  The same LTO where a medical physical consists of asking "are you well?  Good 500 peso please".  LTO is is disfunctional even by Philippine standards.  End of rant but I feel better. 

• Like 3