Philippines Senior Card

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Over the years, I have read in the newspaper that I get delivered everyday about foreigners getting busted for using a senior citizen card.  Here is one article i just googled.  For those illegally using it, perhaps we'll read your name in a Philippine newspaper as well. :cheersty:

CEBU, Philippines — An elderly Korean national was issued a senior citizen’s identification card by the municipal government of Cordova and had been reportedly availing himself of the benefits that only Filipinos are allowed under the law.

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/cebu-news/2019/08/20/1944760/korean-gets-osca-card-cordova

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

That's referring to shops etc who refuse to give the discount to the senior customer.

Do you comprehend The statement; (Any person who) violates any provision of the Act and its Rules shall suffer the following penalties?

Article 24. PENALTIES - Any person who refuses to honor the senior citizen card or violates any provision of the Act and its Rules shall suffer the following penalties

Edited by Rooster

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

strange back and forth; Is anybody disputing that it is against the law for foreigners to obtain and use the government senior card?  Has anybody even intimated that?   Who is this debate with and what exactly is the debate?

There is a minority of expats who choose to believe they can obtain and use a senior citizen card.  There is also a fairly large number of expats who feel they should be entitled to the senior citizen benefits because they are "permanent residents" and contribute to the economy.  A few years back a bill was introduced to allow benefits to foreign permanent residents.   That bill failed to pass but at least one travel/expat blog published the text of the bill falsely claiming foreigners were entitled to the senior discounts.   So this debate raises its head every few years.  The vast majority of forum members here know that the card is for Philippine senior citizens only.  

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

That's referring to shops etc who refuse to give the discount to the senior customer.

15 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Nope it refers to the possession of the Senior Citizen Card by a non citizen (that's us lot, we're seniors but not citizens).

Actually, filipino_wannabe is right in a sense in that the quoted section where deportation is mentioned does indeed refer to punishment for not providing the discount rather than eligibility.  However, the previous quoted section is clear as can be that the card is not for foreigners.  I don't see any reference to the punishment for a foreigner obtaining the card illegally. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Hmm thinking 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Actually, filipino_wannabe is right in a sense in that the quoted section where deportation is mentioned does indeed refer to punishment for not providing the discount rather than eligibility.  However, the previous quoted section is clear as can be that the card is not for foreigners.  I don't see any reference to the punishment for a foreigner obtaining the card illegally. 

The Law clearly states that eligibility for a Senior Citizen Card is;   Filipino citizen who is a resident of the Philippines, and who is sixty (60) years old or above. It may apply to senior citizens with "dual citizenship" status provided they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least six (6) months residency in the Philippines.

Question; Are you a Filipino Citizen who meets the above criteria? Yes or No?

If your answer is No and you somehow were able to obtained the card then you misrepresented your self to be qualified which is Fraud or Estafa in The Philippines. Punishable under Revised Penal Code Article 315. https://chanrobles.com/revisedpenalcodeofthephilippinesbook2.htm

How is the Law Punishing Fraud (Estafa)? (Highlighted  in Bold Red)

Article 24. PENALTIES - Any person who refuses to honor the senior citizen card

"or "

violates any provision of the Act and its Rules shall suffer the following penalties:

Meaning that any Alien/Foreigner who was able to obtain a Senior Citizen Card misrepresented themselves as a Filipino citizen. which is Fraud/Estafa. Therefore, they violated "any" provision of the Act and its Rules and shall suffer the following penalties:

Section 4. If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately  after service of sentence  without further deportation proceedings. :cheersty:

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

The Law clearly states that eligibility for a Senior Citizen Card is;   Filipino citizen who is a resident of the Philippines, and who is sixty (60) years old or above. It may apply to senior citizens with "dual citizenship" status provided they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least six (6) months residency in the Philippines.

Question; Are you a Filipino Citizen who meets the above criteria? Yes or No?

If your answer is No and you somehow were able to obtained the card then you misrepresented your self to be qualified which is Fraud or Estafa in The Philippines. Punishable under Revised Penal Code Article 315. https://chanrobles.com/revisedpenalcodeofthephilippinesbook2.htm

How is the Law Punishing Fraud (Estafa)? (Highlighted  in Bold Red)

Article 24. PENALTIES - Any person who refuses to honor the senior citizen card

"or "

violates any provision of the Act and its Rules shall suffer the following penalties:

Meaning that any Alien/Foreigner who was able to obtain a Senior Citizen Card misrepresented themselves as a Filipino citizen. which is Fraud/Estafa. Therefore, they violated "any" provision of the Act and its Rules and shall suffer the following penalties:

Section 4. If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately  after service of sentence  without further deportation proceedings. :cheersty:

My mistake - I didn't notice the 'OR' as it wasn't in 2 foot font! :hystery: 

In any event, I do wonder where the point of contention here is as I doubt any poster on this forum actually believes they are able to legitimately get hold of the card.  The wording really couldn't be any clearer in terms of eligibility. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 6/20/2024 at 8:29 PM, OnMyWay said:

In past discussions, some members admitted that they had the cards.  Come on guys, fess up so I can send BI and PNP over to your house!  :hystery:.  However, terms can be negotiated.  5% of your 20%, sent to my G-cash should work. :thumbsup:

If memory serves me correctly, the foreigner got the card with the help of his/her barangay captain.  One of our couples friends who are foreigner / Filipina got one for the foreigner hubby.

I only know of one 'foreigner' who got the card - she was a former Filipino citizen who had not recovered her citizenship but insisted she was entitled to the card.  I often crossed swords with her over stuff like that as she was a bit of a 'Karen.' I think I won the argument when I pointed out that if she was entitled to the card why did she have to pay something 'under the table' to get the card? 

Really not worth the risk IMO.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I only know of one 'foreigner' who got the card - she was a former Filipino citizen who had not recovered her citizenship but insisted she was entitled to the card.  I often crossed swords with her over stuff like that as she was a bit of a 'Karen.' I think I won the argument when I pointed out that if she was entitled to the card why did she have to pay something 'under the table' to get the card? 

Really not worth the risk IMO.

I would think the risk is far less for a former Filipino citizen.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I would think the risk is far less for a former Filipino citizen.

It is - and I have nothing against her having it.  My point was more about her arguing she was entitled to it when she's not.  Not worth the risk comment meant for me, not her.