How long for spouse USA Visa

Vegas_Vol_2021
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I'm engaged with a Filipina and we have a baby on the way soon, planning to get married after the baby is delivered later this year.

I am living in Manila most of the year, but I had the idea that she can go with me to the U.S. with the baby on a travel trip next year  after we are married, maybe 5 weeks up to a few months or more.

Does anyone have an idea how long it would take for her to be able to a U.S. Passport or a visa to travel with me to the U.S.?  Also for the baby?

Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A Filipino citizen living in the Philippines is ineligible to receive a US Passport. 

Are you planing to live in the US or Philippines?

Register your baby with the US Embassy soon after birth and request a passport.

Once you are married your wife may apply for a US Visa or a spousal immigration.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/bring-spouse-to-live-in-US

Vegas_Vol_2021
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure where I want to live at actually.  There's pros and cons to both locations.  I'd like to stay in Manila for about 6 months after we get married though I am pretty sure bout that. 

I think long term I prefer Philippines because I like the culture and cost of living here compared to the u.s.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

You can see how long Philippine spouse visa applications are taking by go to VisaJourney dot com.   They also discuss the process, paperwork, and steps required.  Your chances of getting a visitor/tourist visa for your fiancé/wife are close to zero.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Old55 said:

Register your baby with the US Embassy soon after birth and request a passport.

I have not done any research, but dont they have to be married for him to register the birth at the embassy? If not, I am sure it would make it easier.

but I might just be talking out of my hat here.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

I have not done any research, but dont they have to be married for him to register the birth at the embassy? If not, I am sure it would make it easier.

but I might just be talking out of my hat here.

If an American citizen becomes a parent with a non American citizen outside of the US the baby is eligible for US citizenship. The birth must be registered with the US Embassy.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

Scott, the only reason I knew this for sure is a close friend when through this some years ago.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

They don't have to be married. To make things MUCH simpler the US father should be on the original birth certificate. Then just follow the instructions on the embassy website. They may require a DNA test before issuing the US record of citizen born abroad. A passport and social security card can be requested to be issued at the same time.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

If an American citizen becomes a parent with a non American citizen outside of the US the baby is eligible for US citizenship. The birth must be registered with the US Embassy.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

Scott, the only reason I knew this for sure is a close friend when through this some years ago.

What about if a child is adopted while here in the Philippines?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

What about if a child is adopted while here in the Philippines?

That is a completely different topic.  An adopted child can obtain U.S. citizenship.

• Like 1

Vegas_Vol_2021
Posted
Posted (edited)

So I still haven't found out the answer to the question that I asked.  Can you guys take the other topic to a new thread about adopting a kid?

I'm having a hard time understanding why it's so hard to get my wife over to the U.S. if we got married, or the process that it would take, especially if we had a kid together already.  

Thanks,

Edited by Jollygoodfellow