Education

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

Yes, the math sucks here.  I think that math sucks for a lot of people including expats that pay 2500PHP per square meter for land.  My math says that is around $200,000 per acre.

Actually it's about 222,500 at an exchange rate of 55.   Price of land is determined pretty much by location, supply, and demand.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Actually it's about 222,500 at an exchange rate of 55.   Price of land is determined pretty much by location, supply, and demand.

Whatever it is, Mike, it is way too high. in my opinion. Inflation of prices for land, buildings, condos, apartments, etc. here in Davao are ridiculous.

But I think we have drifted - again - off the topic of education. Sorry to the OP for that.

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

Here is one for you all.

Count out 49 peanuts, any item, and put it in a pile.

Ask your wife to count how many are in the pile.

Try it.  I think you will be surprised.

The vast majority lack the concentration ability necessary to be able to count accurately.

I'd get to about 10 and then eat the rest!

Joking apart,  we're kinda verging on racism by making such sweeping (negative) generalisations about a whole population.

Just my honest opinion. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

What is saddest, Mike, is the mindset here that people can find and buy almost anything by getting loans from banks or wherever. L is a prime example of that - no details here, of course.

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted

Interesting.  My last comment was deleted.  It is not that sad in here is it?  If so, shame.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

Interesting.  My last comment was deleted.  It is not that sad in here is it?  If so, shame.

If you don't like this forum you could always move on.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2024 at 5:55 AM, Mike J said:

Yep, I just did the quick 50 to 1 ratio.  I see plenty of supply on Leyte but very little demand.  I am guessing that less than 2% of the filipinos can afford it.  I am also guessing, from the ones that I have met, that 90% of the expats that come have any real cash savings.  On Leyte I see a lot of land for sale but very, very little that actually sells.  The expats that I know that have bought land were from California and New York so I guess they are used to high prices.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee1154 said:

Yep, I just did the quick 50 to 1 ratio.  I see plenty of supply on Leyte but very little demand.  I am guessing that less than 2% of the filipinos can afford it.  I am also guessing, from the ones that I have met, that 90% of the expats that come have any real cash savings.  On Leyte I see a lot of land for sale but very, very little that actually sells.  The expats that I know that have bought land were from California and New York so I guess they are used to high prices.

In many cases the business acumen defies logic here.   As I am sure many of you have, I have seen so many things, whether it be land, houses, vehicles etc. priced insanely higher than the actual value.   I have seen houses sit completely abandoned for 10 years because the rental or sale price was ridiculously too high.  A few minutes on Lazada is always worth a chuckle as well.  I have seen people try to sell one bottle of Guinness for 3000 pesos.   I have seen stereo equipment for sale at 4 times the value...  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

That high price for land is why most lots here are really small and even tiny houses are two story.  About 15 years ago we bought 1240 meters of land to build a house for my wife's parents.  The owner was selling the land so his daughter could go to college.  We paid 600 peso per meter.  I was surprised the land was so expensive compared to the USA.  The land is now worth about 3000 per meter based on sale prices for land around/near Moalboal. 

• Like 1

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2024 at 5:02 AM, Mike J said:

If you don't like this forum you could always move on.

That is a rather small minded reply.

• Like 1