Education

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

You may be right, we could both be right I guess.  I think I am just pissed off I have to figure out how to get my son a decent education in one of the most piss poor education systems on planet earth. 

I think we are both right - different paragraphs but on the same page we could say.

I agree that it's a concern about education but I still believe that the worst of the problems are in the public school system - half-decent private schools are just about acceptable.  There are exceptions, of course. 

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I think we are both right - different paragraphs but on the same page we could say.

I agree that it's a concern about education but I still believe that the worst of the problems are in the public school system - half-decent private schools are just about acceptable.  There are exceptions, of course. 

Getting a half decent education even in private schools is a problem. The quality of the teachers in usually better in private schools even though some schools pay their teachers less than public schools. however, the subjects and approved study materials are still mandated by the dysfunctional education department. In discussions with my wife she has told me she and others knew they were getting a poor education in public school. But for many students it was better than their parents got which was almost no school. She said people are aware of the fact that they don't get the quality of education they should get based in the money spent by the education department. Additionally she told me for the umpteenth time that I just don't understand the mindset of the average Filipino and therefore will never understand why the Philippines won't change without some MAJOR upheaval. The voters know their leaders from the barangay to the executive level steal money from the funds meant to improve infrastructure and living standards but that doesn't affect their vote as long as they get their occasional aid, PPPP, don't have laws enforced strictly [like traffic laws] and are left alone to do as they have always done. They consider corruption an integral as well as necessary part of government they have lived with it so long. So they reelect the crooks, many times because the thinking is its better to have the crook you know rather than the one you don't know.

Edited by Possum
  • Like 4

Lee
Posted
Posted

I've have observed the poor performance of the PI school systems for at least a couple of decades. I have tutored a number of students over the years usually with poor results. The rich putting to the poor premise so as to ensure cheap labor could be plausible but I would add a few other things to this discussion. 

Overall general apathy to learning anything at any level.

Corruption

FaceBook

IMO a lot of Filipinos are way down on the intellectual food chain.

Lee
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Possum said:

Additionally she told me for the umpteenth time that I just don't understand the mindset of the average Filipino and therefore will never understand why the Philippines won't change without some MAJOR upheaval.

If you or anyone else ever figures out this mindset please share it with the MB. My wife doesn't understand it either.

I'm at a total loss of words to explain some of the stupidity that I observe here almost daily.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Lee said:

total loss of words to explain some of the stupidity that I observe here almost daily

Well there is the full circle.... read the previous posts and there you have it.   It really is one of the worst education systems in the world.  It is proven year after year.   So would you expect anything else but stupidity on a daily basis?   It really is sad, and troubles me to no end (for obvious reasons). 

Possum
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Well there is the full circle.... read the previous posts and there you have it.   It really is one of the worst education systems in the world.  It is proven year after year.   So would you expect anything else but stupidity on a daily basis?   It really is sad, and troubles me to no end (for obvious reasons). 

There is also practically zero every day law enforcement country wide. You often hear "Filipinos have no discipline"  Traffic rules are a prime example but laws are rarely enforced outside the major cities and even then not often; local officials might lose votes.  Another factor is upbringing aka culture. Children aren't taught that throwing candy wrappers on the ground is not acceptable among many other things. In a meeting many years ago in another country equally as corrupt and dysfunctional I was at a diplomatic meeting when someone asked what could change the country and a senior diplomat jokingly said," Kill everyone over the age of 12 and start over with a quasi dictatorship." Singapore was in the same position as the Philippines if not worse off at the end of WW II. Study how and why they progressed will show obvious differences. The former leader of Singapore lamented the poor state of the Philippines as the Philippines has natural resources that Singapore could only dream of yet cannot even have a functioning government. Of course Lee Kwan Yew's first priority during the establishment of the modern Singapore was an excellent education system for all citizens among many other unique ideas. A study of Yew is interesting in understanding the Asian mindset.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Possum said:

"Filipinos have no discipline" 

One thing I have noticed over the years, is that people our age who were teenagers during martial law would welcome a benevolent dictator such as Singapore and South Korea had.

My wife often comments that when she was growing up, Jaywalkers were forced to stand in the middle of the road and sing the National Anthem by traffic enforcers back in the day. Now the enforcers are more "observers" lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Lee said:

If you or anyone else ever figures out this mindset please share it with the MB. My wife doesn't understand it either.

I'm at a total loss of words to explain some of the stupidity that I observe here almost daily.

Lee, I agree with you and Possum. We simply have very little understanding of the average Filipinos mindset and thinking. 

My wife and I know of several world class K-12 schools in the Cebu City area. They are an exception.

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines — The government can now undo the supposed “mess” within the Department of Education (DepEd) now that Vice President Sara Duterte has stepped down as Education secretary, according to Manila 3rd District Rep. Joel Chua.

In a statement, Chua said the Matatag curriculum crafted during Duterte’s tenure as Education secretary “should be put on hold,” along with the alleged “brainwashing” in the DepEd.

“It is now time to unravel the havoc she has caused in DepEd. It is time to undo the damage she has inflicted upon teachers, schools, and students.  It is time to unmask the appointments made in DepEd in aid of the 2028 elections,” Chua said on Wednesday.

“All politically motivated bullying and brainwashing in DepEd must stop now,” he added.

INQUIRER.net sought the DepEd officials’ side regarding Chua’s statement, but they had not replied as of posting time.

On Thursday, Chua urged Malacañang to look for a new Education secretary with a track record of success as a public school teacher — “a real, outstanding classroom teacher who is a problem solver and manager with multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary experience.”

“They could start their search from among the public school teachers awardees of the Presidential Lingkod Bayan Award, the CSC Dangal ng Bayan Award, the Ten Outstanding Filipinos Award, TOYM Award, and the Metrobank Outstanding Teacher Award,” he said.

“I suggest these distinguished educators because they taught in DepEd public schools, rose from the ranks, and have been vetted for their competence, values, and integrity,” he added.

According to the lawmaker, Malacañang can also select from former public school teachers who have “advanced to higher education through state universities and colleges.”

“A third pool is that of former public school teachers who later became employers and entrepreneurs who can bring new perspectives into DepEd because of their wider range of experience and expertise not limited to public basic education,” he added.

On Wednesday, the Presidential Communications Office relayed that Duterte has resigned from her posts as Education secretary and vice chairperson of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict.

Duterte held a press briefing at the DepEd office to confirm her resignation.

While there were government officials who said that Duterte did a good job at the DepEd, opposition figures like ACT Teachers party-list Rep. France Castro said that the Vice President’s resignation was “long overdue.”

For Albay 1st District Rep. Edcel Lagman, it seems Duterte admitted that her stay at DepEd was a liability to the education sector.

“The resignation of Vice President Sara Duterte as Secretary of the Department of Education will hopefully lead to the solution of the alarming crisis in Philippine education,” Lagman said.

“No less than Vice President Duterte herself said that her resignation is ‘dala ng tunay na malasakit para sa ating mga guro at kabataang Pilipino’ (due to my genuine concern for our teachers and the Filipino youth), which means that her incumbency was a liability to teachers and students,” he added.

Political analysts have speculated that Duterte’s resignation from the Marcos cabinet signals the formal breakup of the Uniteam, from mere tensions in 2023.  Questions regarding the tandem’s ties started when Duterte resigned from political party Lakas-CMD, which is headed by Marcos’ cousin, House of Representatives Speaker Ferdinand Martin Romualdez.

With VP Duterte out, DepEd mess can now be undone — lawmaker (msn.com)     

• Like 1