Education

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

I'll take a generation of people reading the newspaper for 45 minutes over a generation playing ML or thumbing through moronic tiktok videos for 5 and a half hours.     Things are absolutely not the same.

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

You may be right, we could both be right I guess.  I think I am just pissed off I have to figure out how to get my son a decent education in one of the most piss poor education systems on planet earth. 

I am using Khan Academy app to help.

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Possum said:

There is also practically zero every day law enforcement country wide. You often hear "Filipinos have no discipline"  Traffic rules are a prime example but laws are rarely enforced outside the major cities and even then not often; local officials might lose votes.  Another factor is upbringing aka culture. Children aren't taught that throwing candy wrappers on the ground is not acceptable among many other things. In a meeting many years ago in another country equally as corrupt and dysfunctional I was at a diplomatic meeting when someone asked what could change the country and a senior diplomat jokingly said," Kill everyone over the age of 12 and start over with a quasi dictatorship." Singapore was in the same position as the Philippines if not worse off at the end of WW II. Study how and why they progressed will show obvious differences. The former leader of Singapore lamented the poor state of the Philippines as the Philippines has natural resources that Singapore could only dream of yet cannot even have a functioning government. Of course Lee Kwan Yew's first priority during the establishment of the modern Singapore was an excellent education system for all citizens among many other unique ideas. A study of Yew is interesting in understanding the Asian mindset.

The other thing that Singapore did was to have an anti corruption organization that did not depend on the judicial system.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

The other thing that Singapore did was to have an anti corruption organization that did not depend on the judicial system.

Nothing like that will work here.

Nobody seems to want to eradicate corruption as it's endemic and everyone is benefiting in some way from it at even the basic level i.e. not having to pay traffic fines and slipping the enforcer a 100 bill or so. Most think they are gaining from the system but those of us on the outside looking in know most are most certainly not.  So much of the nonsense systems and procedures are in place because they provide opportunity to 'oil wheels.' 

There has to be a will to change something that is broken but there just isn't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Most think they are gaining from the system

You got that right HK, just like the Political dynasty system, we always wonder why they vote for the same corrupt folks time after time. 

A few months ago during one of my walks, I stopped by a mall in a not so rich area to buy a soda. The common area was set up with chairs for some function. In the corner I noticed several pallets stack high with bags of rice. I went up to look, and low and behold they were labeled as "SMITH rice" (the fictitious name of our local political dynasty) with the smiling faces of 3 generations of our local leaders, one congressman, one mayor and one barangay captain (another was elected to the barangay council to recently to have his picture included lol).

As you say, the moral of the story is "give me stuff and I will vote for you"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

spaul
Posted
Posted
On 6/20/2024 at 9:28 AM, craftbeerlover said:

For those of you without school age children, this is probably more of fly on the wall problem.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I was just thinking about this the other day. What I do when my children are ready to go to school. Is home schooling an option in this country?

Lee
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, spaul said:

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I was just thinking about this the other day. What I do when my children are ready to go to school. Is home schooling an option in this country?

Certainly is available.          https://wolseyhalloxford.org.uk/about-us/international-homeschooling/philippines/

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, spaul said:

We are going thru this right now, and will be faced with a decision in a couple of years.   One thing we have already resigned ourselves to is, finding a decent school severely limits where we will live.   Public school is no way in fn hell, and middle of the road private school is almost in the same category.  I semi contemplated home-schooling, but I honestly feel a kid takes a significant hit when it comes to developing social skills.  And this day and age with social skills already eroding, I am not sure I want to go down that path.   How old are your kids now?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, spaul said:

10 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

We are going thru this right now, and will be faced with a decision in a couple of years.   One thing we have already resigned ourselves to is, finding a decent school severely limits where we will live.   Public school is no way in fn hell, and middle of the road private school is almost in the same category.  I semi contemplated home-schooling, but I honestly feel a kid takes a significant hit when it comes to developing social skills.  And this day and age with social skills already eroding, I am not sure I want to go down that path.   How old are your kids now?

I often hear folk discussing home schooling but I wonder what experience those folk have for it and, perhaps as importantly, the time to do it properly.  Whilst the level of education here may be p*** poor in many cases, at least kids will leave with some kind of qualification that can get them into a local university.  Can the same be said for a kid who is home schooled.

Tread carefully. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I would be intetested in what the actual experience has been for those who send their kids to private school in the Philippines. Our daughter will start 1st grade in an international private school in August.

• Like 1