Education

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Lee said:

Mentioned to a math teacher once at an open house that our niece didn't seem to know her multiplication tables (she got top grades). The teacher admitted that he didn't know the multiplication tables either but suggested that this wasn't a problem as everyone had cell phones.

On this I agree.  My son is going into Grade 7 and in his 2nd school here and they have not covered the multiplication tables as yet - we covered this in the early days of elementary school. That said, the math they do cover is as advanced as what I covered (if not more so) but I do wonder about the wisdom of not covering the multiplication tables.  

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Lee said:

We sent our niece to what was supposed to be the best private HS in town. Noted that the disciple was pretty strict at the school as the students weren't allowed to clown around before and during class. The HS that she went to before was a complete circus where the students did as they pleased.

Instruction was poor IMO as some teachers simply plugged in a thumb drive to project their lessons on the wall and didn't come back until class was over.

Mentioned to a math teacher once at an open house that our niece didn't seem to know her multiplication tables (she got top grades). The teacher admitted that he didn't know the multiplication tables either but suggested that this wasn't a problem as everyone had cell phones.

I would not have been able to bite my tongue

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

George Carlin on American education.  At about the 1 minute mark, seems to parallel the Philippines closely.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

but I do wonder about the wisdom of not covering the multiplication tables.  

Same here at our mid-range private school.  They have some other stupid methods they teach but knowing the multiplication tables allows much quicker solving of problems.

spaul
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2024 at 6:38 PM, craftbeerlover said:

I semi contemplated home-schooling, but I honestly feel a kid takes a significant hit when it comes to developing social skills.  And this day and age with social skills already eroding, I am not sure I want to go down that path.   How old are your kids now?

My oldest is going to be three and is still a couple of years away but I just read that there is a cutoff date of August 31st to enter kindergarten at 5 years old. Now this means she would be held back a year because she is born in November. I'm not too concerned about it right now but something I'm keeping on the back burner so I don't walk into it blindly. That's why I though it was a great topic.

I agree with the socializing aspect as being one negative against homeschooling, the other would be learning Bisayan. My wife speaks to the children in English.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Lee said:

Mentioned to a math teacher once at an open house that our niece didn't seem to know her multiplication tables (she got top grades). The teacher admitted that he didn't know the multiplication tables either but suggested that this wasn't a problem as everyone had cell phones

If I couldn't do simple math in my head it would be a pain to constantly use my phone to calculate the final price for a clearance item with 40% off for the bargain shopper in my family.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, earthdome said:

If I couldn't do simple math in my head it would be a pain to constantly use my phone to calculate the final price for a clearance item with 40% off for the bargain shopper in my family.

Not for the young 'uns though.  Their phones are constantly to hand and they can navigate very quickly - not as quickly as you and I can do in our head but the difference is minimal and taking into account the deterioration of our brain capacity etc it's perhaps a fair argument being put forward. 

Lee
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Exactly right.

IMO math tables/fractions/percentages are the foundation of learning math and problem solving in general.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not for the young 'uns though.  Their phones are constantly to hand and they can navigate very quickly - not as quickly as you and I can do in our head but the difference is minimal and taking into account the deterioration of our brain capacity etc it's perhaps a fair argument being put forward. 

So what if your cell phone dies or you mistype and can't recognize your mistake because you have have no idea what the correct answer should be.

I have tutored students that didn't know how to tell time by looking at a clock (with hands).

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Lee said:

Exactly right.

IMO math tables/fractions/percentages are the foundation of learning math and problem solving in general.

So what if your cell phone dies or you mistype and can't recognize your mistake because you have have no idea what the correct answer should be.

I have tutored students that didn't know how to tell time by looking at a clock (with hands).

Not really a compelling argument to be honest.  Young kids have them constantly charged as they're an essential part of their lives.  And, surely you're not suggesting that the human brain doesn't make mistakes when we're doing the sums in our head?

As for telling the time - kids just don't see it as a skill they need when they have their phones on hand every waking moment.  

I've been through this kind of debate before numerous times on another forum populated by a wide range of ages and sad to report us oldies are in the minority on this.  The younger generation simply don't see those as necessary life skills no matter how much we think they should be. 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

The younger generation simply don't see those as necessary life skills no matter how much we think they should be.

hmmmm interesting as the "younger generation" should have parents from the previous generation.   I can tell you that my son will know how to tell time, and know his multiplication tables.   He will know where Indonesia, Japan, Europe, Australia etc. etc etc etc etc.   are on a map.   Lastly, he will not have a cell phone until I deem needed, and will have restrictions after that point.    I cant imagine him having a cell phone before he is a teenager.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2