Education

Lee
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

hmmmm interesting as the "younger generation" should have parents from the previous generation.   I can tell you that my son will know how to tell time, and know his multiplication tables.   He will know where Indonesia, Japan, Europe, Australia etc. etc etc etc etc.   are on a map.   Lastly, he will not have a cell phone until I deem needed, and will have restrictions after that point.    I cant imagine him having a cell phone before he is a teenager.

Certainly good thinking on your part.

Be prepared to teach these subjects and more to your son when the time comes as PI schools for the most part can't or won't.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Costs at one of the Private schools near me (not sure what the tuition is):

• Application and Testing Fee: Php 6,000.00
  • School Development Fee (one time, no refund): Php 125,000.00
  • Slot Reservation Fee (will be deducted from tuition upon enrolment): Php 50,0000
  • School Deposit (one time payment; to be refunded without interest when the student graduates or withdraws): Php 50,000
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

hmmmm interesting as the "younger generation" should have parents from the previous generation.   I can tell you that my son will know how to tell time, and know his multiplication tables.   He will know where Indonesia, Japan, Europe, Australia etc. etc etc etc etc.   are on a map.   Lastly, he will not have a cell phone until I deem needed, and will have restrictions after that point.    I cant imagine him having a cell phone before he is a teenager.

That's how you see it - my post explicitly cited how the young generation see it. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Costs at one of the Private schools near me (not sure what the tuition is):

• Application and Testing Fee: Php 6,000.00
  • School Development Fee (one time, no refund): Php 125,000.00
  • Slot Reservation Fee (will be deducted from tuition upon enrolment): Php 50,0000
  • School Deposit (one time payment; to be refunded without interest when the student graduates or withdraws): Php 50,000

I'd not have read beyond the Application and Testing Fee part.  

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's how you see it - my post explicitly cited how the young generation see it. 

yeah, I am with you, but they have that mentality/attitude for a reason, my point was lack of parenting. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

yeah, I am with you, but they have that mentality/attitude for a reason, my point was lack of parenting. 

It's one way to look at it, but not necessarily the only one.

My son, for example, has had a smartphone since he was 8 or 9 as my wife and I are more relaxed on this point than some.  In fact, during the pandemic with online classes it was essential as that was how they communicated with classmates outside of the online lessons.  My son spends more time on his PC than his smartphone but his general knowledge is way beyond what mine was at his age due to his inquisitive nature fuelled by the internet and access to information.  

So, would I like him to have mastered some of what we consider necessary skills i.e. telling time using a traditional clock, the multiplication tables - yes, definitely.  Do I feel he's going to lose out due to it - no.  But, as I said above, his general knowledge is well beyond mines as a 12-year old so perhaps swings and roundabouts. 

I don't really agree that there is necessarily a lack of parenting, just a different style of parenting.  

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's one way to look at it, but not necessarily the only one.

My son, for example, has had a smartphone since he was 8 or 9 as my wife and I are more relaxed on this point than some.  In fact, during the pandemic with online classes it was essential as that was how they communicated with classmates outside of the online lessons.  My son spends more time on his PC than his smartphone but his general knowledge is way beyond what mine was at his age due to his inquisitive nature fuelled by the internet and access to information.  

So, would I like him to have mastered some of what we consider necessary skills i.e. telling time using a traditional clock, the multiplication tables - yes, definitely.  Do I feel he's going to lose out due to it - no.  But, as I said above, his general knowledge is well beyond mines as a 12-year old so perhaps swings and roundabouts. 

I don't really agree that there is necessarily a lack of parenting, just a different style of parenting.  

Good points!!

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I think we should remember that We are living in their generation and this issue is world wide not just the Philippines, just think in a very short time, we dinosaurs, will be extinct but they will thrive  JMHO :tiphat:

• Like 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think we should remember that We are living in their generation and this issue is world wide not just the Philippines, just think in a very short time, we dinosaurs, will be extinct but they will thrive  JMHO :tiphat:

We should never lose sight of that, but it is our responsibility to pass on whatever wisdom we have.   Staying relatively immature, as is my case, helps a lot

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

it is our responsibility to pass on whatever wisdom we have.

Very true but I have this problem that tends to get me in Trouble here, Bin here so long that i am no longer a dreamer but a realist