Education

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Times have changed - we can either accept it. embrace it or reject it but whatever path you choose won't change that.  I choose to accept it but perhaps not embrace it.

Yes. Times have changed. But I personally think it is very sad that Filipinos - and others from whatever the latest "New Age" is called - don't know any history, including in their own country, but especially about the world at large. So they may be bound to repeat the stupid things that those of our (boomer) age did?

And geography... Sure, my degree is in geography but, before I attended university, I knew where most countries were located, that the world is a globe, and basically where most continents were located and where we fit in the whole world roughly. Here, there is no knowledge or interest, mostly, in whatever lies over the horizon, let alone the world political scenes. So, yes, we are dinosaurs, but that should not prevent us from attempting to educate the newer generations in some of the "classic" sciences and industry. My God... as @Mike J mentioned... kids that cannot even tell time from a clock with hands instead of digital?

I guess I am just glad that I do not have kids other than a very worldly and wise step-kid... She learns and is willing to learn about the world outside of the Philippines.

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

She learns and is willing to learn about the world outside of the Philippines.

Some time ago on another Topic similar to this I Posted that Children will learn If they want to be taught. So many don't want to learn for whatever reason, to me, this is because their Parents Didn't so why should they,  Bad parenting? now there is food for thought:tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Some time ago on another Topic similar to this I Posted that Children will learn If they want to be taught. So many don't want to learn for whatever reason, to me, this is because their Parents Didn't so why should they,  Bad parenting? now there is food for thought:tiphat:

Agreed.

Gives me indigestion though!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes. Times have changed. But I personally think it is very sad that Filipinos - and others from whatever the latest "New Age" is called - don't know any history, including in their own country, but especially about the world at large. So they may be bound to repeat the stupid things that those of our (boomer) age did?

And geography... Sure, my degree is in geography but, before I attended university, I knew where most countries were located, that the world is a globe, and basically where most continents were located and where we fit in the whole world roughly. Here, there is no knowledge or interest, mostly, in whatever lies over the horizon, let alone the world political scenes. So, yes, we are dinosaurs, but that should not prevent us from attempting to educate the newer generations in some of the "classic" sciences and industry. My God... as @Mike J mentioned... kids that cannot even tell time from a clock with hands instead of digital?

I guess I am just glad that I do not have kids other than a very worldly and wise step-kid... She learns and is willing to learn about the world outside of the Philippines.

You really shouldn't generalise so much, Tommy - not all Filipinos know no history or geography.  Many, yes maybe most in fact but all as you have stated - definitely incorrect there my friend.

You guys seem to have some strange hang-up about reading time on a traditional clock yet I have yet to hear one convincing point as to why kids need to nowadays.  I can imagine you guys would have been so protective of sundials in times past! :hystery:

Finally, I do have a kid and he's here in the Philippines.  And, as I have said before, he has a very comprehensive knowledge of the wide world so you stepkid is not unique in that respect.

Apologies if my tone is rather direct but if you're going to stir the pot...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

You really shouldn't generalise so much, Tommy - not all Filipinos know no history or geography.  Many, yes maybe most in fact but all as you have stated - definitely incorrect there my friend.

You guys seem to have some strange hang-up about reading time on a traditional clock yet I have yet to hear one convincing point as to why kids need to nowadays.  I can imagine you guys would have been so protective of sundials in times past! :hystery:

Finally, I do have a kid and he's here in the Philippines.  And, as I have said before, he has a very comprehensive knowledge of the wide world so you stepkid is not unique in that respect.

Apologies if my tone is rather direct but if you're going to stir the pot...

Yes, my comment was a bit generalizing. But that has been my experience in observation so far after many years here.

To me - your basic old dinosaur - reading time on a clock with hands should be intuitive and simple. Generally, not so here. I see nothing strange about that comment. I think the point I would make here is that logic does not seem to be taught, generally, and forward thinking does not seem to be encouraged. I post these with all due respect and not direct. Intuitive thinking and reasoning is not taught in the public schools. I can tell you that from what my partner, L, a high school teacher tells me. In my opinion, it goes back, always, to DepEd not supporting nor educating teachers, just generating useless paperwork reports.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes, my comment was a bit generalizing. But that has been my experience in observation so far after many years here.

To me - your basic old dinosaur - reading time on a clock with hands should be intuitive and simple. Generally, not so here. I see nothing strange about that comment. I think the point I would make here is that logic does not seem to be taught, generally, and forward thinking does not seem to be encouraged. I post these with all due respect and not direct. Intuitive thinking and reasoning is not taught in the public schools. I can tell you that from what my partner, L, a high school teacher tells me. In my opinion, it goes back, always, to DepEd not supporting nor educating teachers, just generating useless paperwork reports.

You're making the mistake of assuming the Philippines is alone and unique in many of the points being raised - anyone who keeps even half an ear and eye on global news would know the same or similar criticisms of the younger generations everywhere are being made.  Sure, the extent of it may be worse here but the existence of it, no.

Finally, don't you recognise that the exact same comments were being made by your father about your generation, his father about his generation and so on ad infinitum You can try to dodge around that reality all you like but it's true.  

Finally, here's my pictorial definition of progress - I hope you take it in the spirit of humor I intend -

image.jpegimage.jpegImage of Digital Alarm Clock 7 Inch Curved Dimmable LED Screen Digital Clock for Home Kids Bedroom Office Green Large Number Clock Lightweight Smart Alarm Cloc

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Sure, the extent of it may be worse here but the existence of it, no.

My point exactly... Review the earlier comments regarding the Philippines ranking in world education. It is very sad, but true.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

My point exactly... Review the earlier comments regarding the Philippines ranking in world education. It is very sad, but true.

Well, my point exactly in fact.

Let's leave it at that my friend.

Lee
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And geography... Sure, my degree is in geography but, before I attended university, I knew where most countries were located,

Geography ????? I have seen students that couldn't look at a map----any map---and know which direction E, W, S, or N was.

Perhaps to better understand what some of us are saying----a person with a basic education should be able to answer the following questions. Over the years I have tutored several students and they have all missed these questions. These are HS students in grades 10-12 who get good grades.

1) 3/4 + 1/2 =?

2) If a car travels 50 KPH (I usually have to explain this term). How far will it travel in 2.5 hours?

3) Tom has to be at work at 8AM (not Filipino time !!). It takes 1.5 hours on the bus to get to work. What time should Tom leave so as to be on time?

4) Sally has 3 times as many mangoes as Bill. Bill has 8 mangoes so how many mangoes does Sally have?

5) You walk out of your house one morning when the sun is just starting to rise. The light from the sun appears to be directly in your eyes. What direction are you most likely facing?

This is basic stuff---not hard----something that every young adult should know and understand. But they don't. I have used these same questions many times over the years to evaluate students and they miss them every time. Surely, we can do better than this.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

Geography ????? I have seen students that couldn't look at a map----any map---and know which direction E, W, S, or N was.

Perhaps to better understand what some of us are saying----a person with a basic education should be able to answer the following questions. Over the years I have tutored several students and they have all missed these questions. These are HS students in grades 10-12 who get good grades.

1) 3/4 + 1/2 =?

2) If a car travels 50 KPH (I usually have to explain this term). How far will it travel in 2.5 hours?

3) Tom has to be at work at 8AM (not Filipino time !!). It takes 1.5 hours on the bus to get to work. What time should Tom leave so as to be on time?

4) Sally has 3 times as many mangoes as Bill. Bill has 8 mangoes so how many mangoes does Sally have?

5) You walk out of your house one morning when the sun is just starting to rise. The light from the sun appears to be directly in your eyes. What direction are you most likely facing?

This is basic stuff---not hard----something that every young adult should know and understand. But they don't. I have used these same questions many times over the years to evaluate students and they miss them every time. Surely, we can do better than this.

BUT they are good with their smart phones, maybe silicon valley wants them