First Impression!

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gutenberg said:

I tried 9mg Melatonin now. Well, 3 am, good morning! :laugh:

Melatonin leaves me feeling low-energy the next morning.

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Melatonin leaves me feeling low-energy the next morning.

Yeah, I feel a bit groggy and light nausea but at least I slept 9h with short breaks.

What also doesn't help; it's a very loud country, tuned motorbikes at 4 am, dogs barking from 2 am to 5 am, and so on.

I bought some ear plugs, it definitely helps.

Trying to force myself through the day today to get to a good sleep schedule.

Edited by Gutenberg
  • Like 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)

x

Edited by Gutenberg

P_X
Posted
Posted
On 6/21/2024 at 4:46 PM, Freebie said:

The first impression will change as soon as a few folk ask you to " share your blessings "....or drivers trying to kill you as you cross a clearly marked pedestrian crossing, or taxi drivers insisting they have no change and the meter is broken but " P800 is ok for you sir ".....etc etc.....Immigration smiling.. you must have got the Unicorn Day.. they are generally extremely impersonal , using talking to their colleagues as they check passport etc  when I arrive /depart.. be interesting if you return in a month with more impressions

Lemme help you out with one of those "terrible" issues.  

Tell ur destination and say "meter" if they balk or want "Pacquiao" ... pass on them. Never assume anyone will have change for a 500, let alone a 1k bill. Always have smalls. 

As far as "share the blessings " issue...

Dunno where you're from but ppl begging everywhere in the world is commonplace. 

Try going to the grocery store in the states without being asked. It just happens.

Your reaction to things can make or break your happiness.  If that kinda stuff chaps your hide that much, you're gunna be an unhappy camper on the reg.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Firstly saying "meter " isnt exactly useful. Tagalog from meter is metro. Paki metro pare , hindi turista, nakitira dito will get you  way further. Now of course if you are in a taxi with bags in boot/trunk and you are on the skyway etc tough to start asking for meter.

Begging. And beggars to be avoided . Regardless of where in world. But being surrounded by a few badjao all holding babies, making the throat hungry signs isnt the most pleasant situation.  As I said, to be avoided.

Translation of " chaps your hide". "Camper on the reg"  English words but no meaning at least in regular English. Americanese maybe ???

Possum
Posted
Posted

Though not a first impression it is always impressive to return here. We just returned from a month of visiting in the USA, recovering from jet lag and getting used to what passes for normal here. The trip from NAIA to home in Quezon province reminded us that we were indeed back in the land of nutty drivers and dirt. We hired a lady to drive us and she was great compared the guys with vans we hired before but still an "awakening" experience. No issues with immigration going or coming. Terminal 1 was surprisingly easy to pass thru but it was 0530. We booked with Delta who used PAL to get us to Japan for connections going and coming. I'll avoid that connection in the future. Just not comfortable; who orders a A321 with only 2 toilets for the entire plane?? PAL did have an offer to bid on 1st class seats in an auction type system. I've had success with that in the past with TAP so I gave it a try and bid $200 for the leg from Japan to Manila. I got the seat but felt foolish as I should have bid $50 as there were only 2 of us in 1st class. Upon arrival found out there are new issues with PLDT fiber here so I am thinking about Starlink. If anyone has personal experience with it please share.

• Like 3

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2024 at 11:59 PM, Possum said:

Though not a first impression it is always impressive to return here. We just returned from a month of visiting in the USA, recovering from jet lag and getting used to what passes for normal here. The trip from NAIA to home in Quezon province reminded us that we were indeed back in the land of nutty drivers and dirt. We hired a lady to drive us and she was great compared the guys with vans we hired before but still an "awakening" experience. No issues with immigration going or coming. Terminal 1 was surprisingly easy to pass thru but it was 0530. We booked with Delta who used PAL to get us to Japan for connections going and coming. I'll avoid that connection in the future. Just not comfortable; who orders a A321 with only 2 toilets for the entire plane?? PAL did have an offer to bid on 1st class seats in an auction type system. I've had success with that in the past with TAP so I gave it a try and bid $200 for the leg from Japan to Manila. I got the seat but felt foolish as I should have bid $50 as there were only 2 of us in 1st class. Upon arrival found out there are new issues with PLDT fiber here so I am thinking about Starlink. If anyone has personal experience with it please share.

I have had Starlink for about 8 months now.  It is very reliable.  A heavy thunderstorm with thick clouds can interfere with the signal but other than that, you are off to the races.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Erik
Posted
Posted (edited)

First impression, I was quit an culture chock seeing how the Cebuano people are living. Visiting Visayas for the 4th time for vacation, it’s going much better now. The beaches are amazing. As a former game swimmer it’s a swimming walhalla. The only worries are sharks and the jelly box fishes, with i did encounter once while snorkeling. The seasnakes did not bother me, they were not interested, the box jellyfish was.

With the cockroaches its going better, it was the biggest culture choke for me and all the chemicals they use, which i do not trust. At least do some ventilation before letting your guests inside after spraying. Somehow I think they do not understand the harm it can do for our health being, specifically for children. I think it harms even more than the insects will ever do. And yes I use the spray carefully too. 

The people generally are very nice and friendly to me, had no issues, not once. Only thing I do not like are all those used excuses. Think it’s  generally accepted to do, unbelievable. 

The Philippines for me is a nice country to visit and what it makes even more sunny and colorful is the well accepted LGBT community. 

Edited by Old55
Removed link changed font size
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Georgebob
Posted
Posted
On 6/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, Gutenberg said:

It started already with the immigration officer ladies. Smiles, thumbs up, 'Welcome in the Philippines'. In Thailand you can feel the hate already at that point.

I found the exact opposite with the Philippines immigration, demanding evidence when I'm leaving the Country when I just arrived 

With Thailand they just asked me when I'm.leaving, much easier for everything in Thailand compared to Philippines 

• Like 2