First Impression!

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

Update,

They are having a disco every Saturday night until end of July then have 2 nights of ear bashing. Wife took her 2 nephews who are visiting us from Bohl.

An angry foreigner come up to the wife and asked who do I complain to for this din, wife pointed to the an organizer they weren't interested, so he said I'm going to the police, Okay they know about it wife said to him, so he said I will tell the president about this. Lol I laughed out loud when wife told me.

Found out he lives about 800 meters from the disco, I live about 100 meters. There are some foreigner's living right next to the disco I bet their ear drums are dancing.

I think for myself, I would just leave and take a short vacation rather than tolerate this din.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

I think for myself, I would just leave and take a short vacation rather than tolerate this din.

Fine if it's just one weekend but it's for the month of July so that would be more than a short vacation.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

Fine if it's just one weekend but it's for the month of July so that would be more than a short vacation.

Last weekend in July is for 2 nights but last year it was 3 nights so wait and see. We did go on vacation end of July for 3 nights 2 years ago. Booked a cheap apartment away from the din and took our 3 dogs along too. 

I think this time we'll go out for a long evening in town, have a meal, a few drinks, long walks on the boulevard just to pass the time.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 7/22/2024 at 9:21 AM, jimeve said:

Last weekend in July is for 2 nights but last year it was 3 nights so wait and see. We did go on vacation end of July for 3 nights 2 years ago. Booked a cheap apartment away from the din and took our 3 dogs along too. 

I think this time we'll go out for a long evening in town, have a meal, a few drinks, long walks on the boulevard just to pass the time.

In Philippine law, unjust vexation, as defined by Article 287 of the Revised Penal Code, is 'any human conduct that causes annoyance, irritation, torment, distress, or disturbance to the mind of another person

Th is would fit the bill how ever depending the situation may not be wise, I do know of a foreigner whom after complaining to his neighbour about her noisy dog he was charged under this law. End result he was taken to court and fined P200, his record was tarnished, the woman did not spend a dime, went through city hall.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

In Philippine law, unjust vexation, as defined by Article 287 of the Revised Penal Code, is 'any human conduct that causes annoyance, irritation, torment, distress, or disturbance to the mind of another person

Th is would fit the bill how ever depending the situation may not be wise, I do know of a foreigner whom after complaining to his neighbour about her noisy dog he was charged under this law. End result he was taken to court and fined P200, his record was tarnished, the woman did not spend a dime, went through city hall.   

We do not know how, what steps, the foreigner to with regards to the owner of the noisy dog.  While I do not doubt the outcome, I bet there are two sides to this story.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

Sounds like it went to the Barangay court. 

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sounds like it went to the Barangay court. 

Town hall?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

Town hall?

The barangay office usually has a small office/building of its own.  The barangay captain can adjudicate lower level complaints such as petty theft, loud noise, fighting, squatters failure to leave, damage to property, etc.  If you are not happy with the barangay judgement you can go further, but it is relatively rare for a judge to go against the opinion/judgement of the captain.  In the case cited above I suspect the foreigner acted like a dick and screamed at the neighbor, maybe threated to kill the dog, etc.  His actions, more than likely, were so over the top that the barking dog complaint became a non-issue to the captain.  Obviously that is my opinion.  That being said I have heard a few stories of complaint settlements and they all sounded reasonable to me, including those where the complainant was a foreigner.   We had a neighbor who was having parties and playing loud music into the wee hours of the morning.  We and our neighbors complained to the barangay captains.  They acted the same day.

Members - It is a good idea to find out who your barangay captain is, then stop by to say hello and introduce yourself. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, jimeve said:

Town hall?

Pretty much as Mike explained above, the Barangay is below Town Hall but would be the 1st port of call before taking it to the municipal level.  Given the small fine issued I would have thought it was at Barangay level.  Our Barangay Hall actually has a small courtroom with judges seat etc.

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Members - It is a good idea to find out who your barangay captain is, then stop by to say hello and introduce yourself. 

I've only been twice to ours and the 2nd was actually just 3 days ago by coincidence. He remembered me after a gentle reminder but to be fair our community has a lot of foreigners so I can excuse him - it was also 5 years since my last visit! 

But yes, I agree that it does no harm to say Hi as a courtesy.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1