Subic Bay Freeport

Rooster
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Me:  "We live in Subic Bay Freeport;

I would not live on Subic even if offered free housing.

Our Motorcycle group had to pass through Subic before Covid. We were all pulled over at the gate at the bottom of the hill after passing through the gate on the top of the hill after we passed the nuclear plant. The Subic police said we were all speeding but refused to show us proof. (We knew to obey the speed limit).  Each of us pay p500 in order not to be ticketed. The traffic on Subic was worse than Manila, over an hour to exit the gate near the cemetery.

Then last month, the same trick, the same location. Subic police claimed we were speeding coming down the hill. Refused to show us proof on a radar gun, This time they defrauded us out of p1k each to not write a ticket. As we departed, they said remember not to speed and do not pass where there is a single yellow line. Subic is one yellow line so this time we spent 2 hours in traffic to exit the gate near the cemetery. We all vowed to never enter Subic again.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Our Motorcycle group had to pass through Subic before Covid. We were all pulled over at the gate at the bottom of the hill after passing through the gate on the top of the hill after we passed the nuclear plant. The Subic police said we were all speeding but refused to show us proof. (We knew to obey the speed limit).  Each of us pay p500 in order not to be ticketed. The traffic on Subic was worse than Manila, over an hour to exit the gate near the cemetery.

Then last month, the same trick, the same location. Subic police claimed we were speeding coming down the hill. Refused to show us proof on a radar gun, This time they defrauded us out of p1k each to not write a ticket. As we departed, they said remember not to speed and do not pass where there is a single yellow line. Subic is one yellow line so this time we spent 2 hours in traffic to exit the gate near the cemetery. We all vowed to never enter Subic again.

Can you show me on a map where you were pulled over?  I'm slightly confused with the mention of the nuclear plant, which is far from the freeport.

Yes, the police corruption here is bad.  However, they do not ticket residents.  There is a business group here that takes interest in this.  I will report it to them.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Rooster said:

This time they defrauded us out of p1k each to not write a ticket.

I hate to say this Rooster, but its your own fault. (if you handed over the money that is). 

I got nabbed by them at a bogus stop, told them to write the ticket, refused to let them keep my license (referred them to the new law that forbids license confiscation) when the guy wrote out the ticket, he gave me all the copies it turns out, so I just ignored it. 6-8 months later I had to renew my license, which I did with no problem, (no hold on my renewal from the Subic cops.)

I refuse to be part of the problem. If I did something wrong, I will gladly pay, if they try to scam me, no, make them write the ticket.

31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, the police corruption here is bad.

You remember this from a year ago OMW?

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rooster said:

I got angry at getting a parking ticket, asked the traffic enforcer where is the no parking sign, she replied there is none. Cost me 200 peso's but that was in Dumaguete 3 years ago.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Can you show me on a map where you were pulled over?  I'm slightly confused with the mention of the nuclear plant, which is far from the freeport.

Yes, the police corruption here is bad.  However, they do not ticket residents.  There is a business group here that takes interest in this.  I will report it to them.

BTPI gate is after the Bataan Nuclear Plant. We figured the BTPI cops notified the SBMA gate that a large group of foreigners on bikes were headed their way. :6:

The SBMA Police swindled us at the SBMA Morong Gate. Just before the left turn to Zoobic. Speeding and passing on a single yellow line. LOL. We knew not to speed or pass on a yellow line after we entered the BTPI gate. We asked to show us proof of the speeding and the passing on the the yellow line and they could not. Threatened to take our licenses and write citations. We had been riding since Mariveles, were tired, in the hot sun, rather than continue to argue with them and have our licenses taken we paid the p1k each.

You business group should find out if that check point has authority/jurisdiction to issue tickets to vehicles who have not yet passed their checkpoint. Is the road from the BTPI gate to the Morong gate SBMA police jurisdiction? What devices do they claim to have but refuse to show for detecting speeders. How could they have seen anyone passing on the yellow line when they were exiting their shack when we approached?

We knew only the LTO is the only ones allowed to confiscate licenses.

https://ltoportal.ph/who-has-authority-to-confiscate-a-drivers-license/

Edited by Rooster

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

BTPI gate is after the Bataan Nuclear Plant. We figured the BTPI cops notified the SBMA gate that a large group of foreigners on bikes were headed their way. :6:

The SBMA Police swindled us at the SBMA Morong Gate. Just before the left turn to Zoobic. Speeding and passing on a single yellow line. LOL. We knew not to speed or pass on a yellow line after we entered the BTPI gate. We asked to show us proof of the speeding and the passing on the the yellow line and they could not. Threatened to take our licenses and write citations. We had been riding since Mariveles, were tired, in the hot sun, rather than continue to argue with them and have our licenses taken we paid the p1k each.

You business group should find out if that check point has authority/jurisdiction to issue tickets to vehicles who have not yet passed their checkpoint. Is the road from the BTPI gate to the Morong gate SBMA police jurisdiction? What devices do they claim to have but refuse to show for detecting speeders. How could they have seen anyone passing on the yellow line when they were exiting their shack when we approached?

How many riders were you?

I had to look up BTPI.  I don't think I have been on that road or have seen those gates, but I have not been out there in quite a while.  Going out the SBMA Morong gate, we always head towards Anvaya.  Planning to head over to Las Casas over there in the next month.

I can't see any way that SBMA LED would have jurisdiction past the gate and it certainly sounds like a setup.  Possibly the BTPI guys get a kickback from the SBMA guys.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How many riders were you?

I had to look up BTPI.  I don't think I have been on that road or have seen those gates, but I have not been out there in quite a while.  Going out the SBMA Morong gate, we always head towards Anvaya.  Planning to head over to Las Casas over there in the next month.

I can't see any way that SBMA LED would have jurisdiction past the gate and it certainly sounds like a setup.  Possibly the BTPI guys get a kickback from the SBMA guys.

Six. We did https://lascasasfilipinas.com/Home   before, headed back north on the road to Mt. Samat.  We stayed 1 night. A tip is go during a week day, try to plan your stay when high tide (No boat tours during low tide) is in the morning and be the 1st to take the boat tour at 8am which is supposed to be a 20 minute tour. We had the boat to ourselves, our boat boy did stops at a few houses, took us inside, tour lasted over an hour and we tipped him. We were satisfied with the boat tour only. The girls rented bicycles and rode to the end of the pier.  Their onsite store is a joke so bring snacks and an 8L or smaller bottle of water. The free breakfast was awesome. There was a huge selection of items. After 6pm the only restaurants that were open was 1 Filipino, 1 Spanish. We ate at both, and both had live musicians serenading us. The place is definitely worth a visit. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Rooster said:

The group I mentioned is a hospitality group comprised mostly of owners / leaders in the large hotel and tourism industry here in Subic.  They do have some sway with SBMA management.  However, after considering this:

17 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nothing like that will work here.

Nobody seems to want to eradicate corruption as it's endemic and everyone is benefiting in some way from it at even the basic level i.e. not having to pay traffic fines and slipping the enforcer a 100 bill or so. Most think they are gaining from the system but those of us on the outside looking in know most are most certainly not.  So much of the nonsense systems and procedures are in place because they provide opportunity to 'oil wheels.' 

There has to be a will to change something that is broken but there just isn't. 

I wonder how I should word something I say to them.  I agree with what @hk blues stated.  Are they any different?

On 6/21/2024 at 8:37 AM, scott h said:

You remember this from a year ago OMW?

Scott, that corrupt intersection was getting a lot of negative attention on our neighborhood FB group.  The traffic light there had never been turned on since the the exit from Tipi / SCTEX was renovated several years ago.  I suspect NLEX paid for it.  So SBMA put small "First to Stop, First to Go" signs there and usually had 3 LED stationed there.  Usually there was always at least one car pulled over in the daytime.  Very lucrative.

So they finally turned the light on a few months ago.  I think they left 1 LED there during the day.  However, it appears they moved the "First to Stop, First to Go" scam to another busy intersection, Dewey and Manila Ave.  Light has been "out of order" for months, and 3 LED stationed there.

Actually, I misspoke earlier.  Residents are subject to speeding tickets.  They have two operational speed guns here now.  I got caught a few weeks ago.  55 in a 40.  I was prepared for a ticket.  They knew we were residents and were laughing and joking with us.  My wife paid them p200 lunch money to go away.  I have been pulled over maybe 4 other times in 10 years for questionable violations, and they always let me go.

• Like 1