Retirement landing

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gutenberg said:

In the taxi to the aiport the taxi driver was telling me that exact story, I tried to update him to reality that it would be probably at least 2x or 3x that amount but he just wouldn't want to listen. We humans tend to enjoy living in our own reality so dreams can stay dreams.

On a side note. For me, it currently feels like 1000 THB ($27) = 1000 PHP ($17). Meaning, same buying power. I noticed it after ordering Burger King the 8th time now and scrolling though old orders. Same products, same amount, different currency.

To be fair, it's possible to live off 50k php a month but it would be basic living.  That said, from what I read of back home, many say they are living basically off of 3 times that amount. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Sad to report that 1, 2 and 3 and somewhat mutually exclusive.. when you have one you wont have the others.

Not in Philippines. Thailand maybe . Ive lived here many years, and dont know of a place that has 1,2 and 3 all nearby. If you find this please do let me ( but DO NOT SHARE with anyone else here lol....) Unicorns, needles and haystacks comes to mind.

Some will argue Boracay fits that bill but I'm not convinced the healthcare is adequate within a reasonable drive (OK - given it's an island you couldn't drive anyway)! 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

To be fair, it's possible to live off 50k php a month but it would be basic living.  That said, from what I read of back home, many say they are living basically off of 3 times that amount. 

Depending where you live and what you are willing to forego, you can easily live off of 50k a month.  I am a big fricken wimp, I like AC, hot water, reliable water, reliable electricity, reliable fast internet, easy access to almost anything I want.    Many are extremely happy living a very minimalist lifestyle (my brother is one of those), and my hats off to them.   All depends on ones comfort zone and expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I live on way less then 50k php  a month here in the uk , ok I have no debt, no mortgage , but like what has been said we all live differently 

• Like 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Considering German wages after tax, 150.000 PHP would make your income the top 40% of the population, while the median German retiree receives 95.000 PHP. I just don't agree with a consensus on many forums and groups that living in the 3rd world suddenly becomes more expensive than living f. ex. in Germany. Rent is cheaper, food is cheaper.

Without me ordering food 2-3 times a day, I could live on 60-70k including rent easily without missing anything, well, missing the food ordering :laugh:

Edited by Gutenberg

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I live on way less then 50k php  a month here in the uk , ok I have no debt, no mortgage , but like what has been said we all live differently 

Add in housing then and tell me you could live off £750 a month in the UK - electricity bills alone in winter would account for a fair amount of that budget. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Depending where you live and what you are willing to forego, you can easily live off of 50k a month.  I am a big fricken wimp, I like AC, hot water, reliable water, reliable electricity, reliable fast internet, easy access to almost anything I want.    Many are extremely happy living a very minimalist lifestyle (my brother is one of those), and my hats off to them.   All depends on ones comfort zone and expectations.

Sure, there are always some who could but the average ex-pat living here?  Like you, most like at least a little comfort and that is going to eat away at that 50k pretty quickly.  Housing alone will be 10k a month minimum, likely more. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

electricity bills alone in winter would account for a fair amount of that budget. 

I thought there was a provision for that in allowance form?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

Considering German wages after tax, 150.000 PHP would make your income the top 40% of the population, while the median German retiree receives 95.000 PHP. I just don't agree with a consensus on many forums and groups that living in the 3rd world suddenly becomes more expensive than living f. ex. in Germany. Rent is cheaper, food is cheaper.

Without me ordering food 2-3 times a day, I could live on 60-70k including rent easily without missing anything, well, missing the food ordering :laugh:

Did anyone say living in the 3rd world is more expensive than in Germany - at least on this forum? We're all pretty consistent that living here is cheaper than our home countries but the gap is not as great as some might think.  

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, stevewool said:

WOW, you live on "way less" than 670 pounds a month in the UK?   LOL what the hell are we all doing over here?  

• Haha 1