Retirement landing

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I thought there was a provision for that in allowance form?

Yep, there is a winter fuel allowance but it won't cover most folks' energy bills in total.  

When I read that nurses and police officers are using foodbanks then I seriously doubt most could live off what is no more than the state pension, slightly less in fact.  

• Sad 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Add in housing then and tell me you could live off £750 a month in the UK - electricity bills alone in winter would account for a fair amount of that budget. 

Roll on winter, can’t wait to try my new thermals , woolly hat and heated gloves while sitting at home 

• Haha 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

WOW, you live on "way less" than 670 pounds a month in the UK?   LOL what the hell are we all doing over here?  

I did not have my glasses on and worked out peso rate to UK pound , pressed the 4 instead of the 7 , wow I thought I was rich , but yes we live on that but can’t save anything though 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

slightly less in fact.  

Yes if it was only the state pension But they will have a pension from employment would they Not ? I myself have a Full state pension + two others and I know I could not live in the UK again So here I stay:tiphat: comfortable

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep, there is a winter fuel allowance but it won't cover most folks' energy bills in total.  

When I read that nurses and police officers are using foodbanks then I seriously doubt most could live off what is no more than the state pension, slightly less in fact.  

Food banks , I don’t know anyone at all and I’ve asked lots of folk do they know anyone who uses these, but yes I’m sure folk use them because paying there sky and iPhone and car payments comes first before feeding there kids

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes if it was only the state pension But they will have a pension from employment would they Not ? I myself have a Full state pension + two others and I know I could not live in the UK again So here I stay:tiphat: comfortable

I’m hoping we will move next year to somewhere different then here , still working out where might be best 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Perhaps proving my point that most could not live off the state pension alone.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, stevewool said:

Food banks , I don’t know anyone at all and I’ve asked lots of folk do they know anyone who uses these, but yes I’m sure folk use them because paying there sky and iPhone and car payments comes first before feeding there kids

I seriously doubt this is the case for the majority of UK parents. 

2OuttaHere
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2024 at 10:55 PM, craftbeerlover said:

Agree with a HUGE caveat.   When you say living like a "local", you are talking about the poor locals.   There are millions of "Locals" that have a hell of a lot more money than most of us.  If you want to live like an upper middle class or upper class "Local", which is equivalent to middle class in most other countries, then yeah, it is a hellavu lot more expensive than people realize.   Living like the lower 50 percent of the population is really cheap.

We like the idea of beach and nightlife but are pretty modest and happy to be on a short scooter ride of a beach or the nightlife. Living on or a couple rows back from the beach and nightlife is great but moderating our expenses is definitely part of the formula. Purchasing groceries and products in communities where the general working community lives is what we expect. Considering we live near Portland which is an overpriced city by US standards in a State with a high income tax, almost anywhere we move is going to stretch our retirement.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, 2OuttaHere said:

We like the idea of beach and nightlife but are pretty modest and happy to be on a short scooter ride of a beach or the nightlife. Living on or a couple rows back from the beach and nightlife is great but moderating our expenses is definitely part of the formula. Purchasing groceries and products in communities where the general working community lives is what we expect. Considering we live near Portland which is an overpriced city by US standards in a State with a high income tax, almost anywhere we move is going to stretch our retirement.

Boracay