Retirement landing

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, 2OuttaHere said:

Considering we live near Portland which is an overpriced city by US standards in a State with a high income tax

Way down the line, when and if you actually make the move, look into how you will be able to change your Home of Record. If you change it to the Philippines, you will not have to pay state income tax. We did that before moving and are saving a bundle that California would have eaten up. You will have to pay Uncle Sam I afraid.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

Way down the line, when and if you actually make the move, look into how you will be able to change your Home of Record. If you change it to the Philippines, you will not have to pay state income tax. We did that before moving and are saving a bundle that California would have eaten up. You will have to pay Uncle Sam I afraid.

Or change your state of residence to one with no income taxes like FL, TX or NH.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I would look for a coastal provincial capital. With decent air access, a few nearby local beaches, decent medical, etc. The hang up is what you need/want for 'night life'. 

I suffice with daytime malls, beach restos/bars and local music venues. I never go out at night at my age now, so I am ignorant re night time entertainment.

If you want higher level night time entertainment, you'll have  to find places that can economically support such. That means larger populations and tourist masses.

My old high school buddy lives with his age-gap wife in Makati, but his large condo rent is P123,000/month, which is beyond the affordability of most ex-pat retirees looking for low cost retirement, so for beaches, they have to travel and take local vacation trips. But they do have great music and night life where they are at, and first rate medical.  Condos can be had for much less, I am sure, but the costs of restos, is much higher than I am used to in my provincial capital life style.

You might find what you are looking for in other countries.

The 'beach thing' we have a yen for, coming from higher latitudes is not the same in the tropics due to the daytime sun intensity.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I would start your search using Google "best places to retire in the Philippines"  or a similar search query.  Read what they have to say.  If you find a city that sounds interesting post a question for anyone living in/near the city.  You could also open Google Earth and "fly/zoom" along coast lines to find cities and then Google info on the city, or post questions here.  I kind of enjoyed doing the research many years back. 

I grew up in Beaverton graduated high school in 1968, then went on to Portland State University.

• Like 1