Best non-beach vacation destinations in the Philippines

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

As stated in another thread, my wife wants to go to Baguio for her birthday in August for 3 or 4 days but I am looking for alternatives.  She does not want to go to a beach area.  Vigan City was mentioned in the other thread which looks nice. 

Are there other nice non-beach vacation destinations that come to mind?  It doesn’t necessarily need to be a tourist destination, just somewhere to go that is different from home (Liloan, Cebu) with some leisurely activities, even urban locations or areas not too far off the beaten path.  It will be just the 2 of us so we aren’t interested in family activities which include kids.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

As stated in another thread, my wife wants to go to Baguio for her birthday in August for 3 or 4 days but I am looking for alternatives.  She does not want to go to a beach area.  Vigan City was mentioned in the other thread which looks nice. 

Are there other nice non-beach vacation destinations that come to mind?  It doesn’t necessarily need to be a tourist destination, just somewhere to go that is different from home (Liloan, Cebu) with some leisurely activities, even urban locations or areas not too far off the beaten path.  It will be just the 2 of us so we aren’t interested in family activities which include kids.

Iloilo.

Fast developing city with a nice waterfront promenade - not a beach.  Plenty of shopping and restaurants and a couple of half-day trips nearby if you wanted to venture out of the city.

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Vigan. Not so far from Baguio and very nice these days. Old streets  with spanish names, nice old buildings ,nice big square with dancing fountains and lights.. and not too far from the beach too. Recommended

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Vigan is good. Tagaytay is always popular. If you're interested in scenic museum type of thing casa de pilipinas in Bataan is good for a day trip.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Batanes, Sagada, many others. If you decide on Baguio consider staying on Camp John Hay. The Manor is the best, Forest Lodge next to Manor is less expensive. Then take a a taxi to the tourist sites. PAL stopped flights from Cebu to Baguio so you can fly to Clark and take a bus up to Baguio. 

The Manor.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+manor%2C+camp+john+hay

Forest Lodge

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=forest+lodge%2C+baguio

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

If you decide on Baguio

Be prepared for significantly more traffic than EDSA on a rainy Friday payday. Traffic is beyond mad in Baguio specially when it rains.

Dont mind if I never go there again.

Be prepared to be amazed at what a giant SM allowed to build  in the middle of the town has done to cause traffic chaos all over.

Go on a long weekend.. and its even better lol

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you visit Sagada you can head east half a day to see the Banaue rice terraces. 

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, earthdome said:

If you visit Sagada you can head east half a day to see the Banaue rice terraces. 

I've been wanting to go to Sagada for YEARS.   Only the drive has stopped me.   If you dont mind sharing, how was the drive, how long did it take, and how were your accommodations? 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

I've been wanting to go to Sagada for YEARS.   Only the drive has stopped me.   If you dont mind sharing, how was the drive, how long did it take, and how were your accommodations? 

Back in 2013 it took about 8 hours to drive a rental from Sagada to Baguio. It was your typical 2 lane cemented road through the mountains.  We stayed in a small inn with a small room. But that was 10 years ago. Airbnb shows over a dozen rentals from $10 to $180 USD.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Three months ago we rode Motorcycles to Baguio, Sagada, Banaue Rice Terraces, Kalinga to see Apo Whang-od the tattoo lady. Then we rode Bessang Pass to The National Highway heading south. For me, It was 6th time there over the years since the 80's each time on bikes.

The roads were ok for a car but I would never drive a car. Too many zig zag, left/right turns.  Motorcycle is more fun. Sagada is ok. The town is very slow and sleepy, everything shuts down early. If you enjoy more nightlife stay 17km away in Bontoc then drive up to Sagada each day.  Banaue Rice terraces were a waste of time and shocking. Badly deteriorated, no one taking care of them. More beautiful rice terraces are seen along the roads on the trip. If you want to see the Tattoo lady, you need to hike up a mountain or take a 1 person cable car. Accommodations were nice. You get what you are willing to pay.

I attached what Tourist agency give you when you register your arrival. Zoom in on them and they are clearer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 4