Best non-beach vacation destinations in the Philippines

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

Three months ago we rode Motorcycles to Baguio, Sagada, Banaue Rice Terraces, Kalinga to see Apo Whang-od the tattoo lady. Then we rode Bessang Pass to The National Highway heading south. For me, It was 6th time there over the years since the 80's each time on bikes.

The roads were ok for a car but I would never drive a car. Too many zig zag, left/right turns.  Motorcycle is more fun. Sagada is ok. The town is very slow and sleepy, everything shuts down early. If you enjoy more nightlife stay 17km away in Bontoc then drive up to Sagada each day.  Banaue Rice terraces were a waste of time and shocking. Badly deteriorated, no one taking care of them. More beautiful rice terraces are seen along the roads on the trip. If you want to see the Tattoo lady, you need to hike up a mountain or take a 1 person cable car. Accommodations were nice. You get what you are willing to pay.

I attached what Tourist agency give you when you register your arrival. Zoom in on them and they are clearer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

THanks much.  I think you just talked me out of making that grueling drive.   Was more curious about getting on some trails etc... Also, I know there is a craft beer place that I would check out if I ever went.   Maybe sometime in the next few years

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

THanks much.  I think you just talked me out of making that grueling drive.   Was more curious about getting on some trails etc... Also, I know there is a craft beer place that I would check out if I ever went.   Maybe sometime in the next few years

Have you been to Baguio? Many Craft Beer places and Trails there. Google Baguio Trails. This shows some of the Craft Beer places. https://www.traveling-up.com/where-to-drink-craft-beer-in-baguio-city/

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Have you been to Baguio? Many Craft Beer places and Trails there. Google Baguio Trails. This shows some of the Craft Beer places. https://www.traveling-up.com/where-to-drink-craft-beer-in-baguio-city/

Been there many times, sampled some of the beverages, and walked some trails on Camp John Hay!!!!

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Definitely wouldn't go to Baguio in August, it will be raining all day with a lot of traffic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MikeyD
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2024 at 10:25 AM, Rooster said:

If you decide on Baguio consider staying on Camp John Hay. The Manor is the best, Forest Lodge next to Manor is less expensive. Then take a a taxi to the tourist sites. PAL stopped flights from Cebu to Baguio so you can fly to Clark and take a bus up to Baguio. 

The Manor.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+manor%2C+camp+john+hay

Forest Lodge

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=forest+lodge%2C+baguio

For whatever reason my wife is fixated on going to Baguio, I think when she was a child many of her classmates visited there and it was kind of a status symbol in her circle so she just wants to see it for herself.  Others have told her that it isn't that great any more but still she persists and I have heard that Camp John Hay is closer to what Baguio used to be like in the past.

I have looked at several videos of both the Manor and the Forest Lodge.  Both look nice in the videos, the Manor looks a little nicer but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cost.  For those of you familiar with both of these hotels, are there any major drawbacks or downsides to the Forest Lodge?

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, MikeyD said:

For whatever reason my wife is fixated on going to Baguio, I think when she was a child many of her classmates visited there and it was kind of a status symbol in her circle so she just wants to see it for herself.  Others have told her that it isn't that great any more but still she persists and I have heard that Camp John Hay is closer to what Baguio used to be like in the past.

I have looked at several videos of both the Manor and the Forest Lodge.  Both look nice in the videos, the Manor looks a little nicer but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cost.  For those of you familiar with both of these hotels, are there any major drawbacks or downsides to the Forest Lodge?

I stayed at Both. I have absolutely no complaints about Forest Lodge. As i stated in an earlier post, They are both near to each other as seen in this picture. From the Forest Lodge parking lot is a set of stairs directly to The Manor.  The stairs are covered by the trees in this photo. How many nights do you plan on staying in Baguio? My wife and others were just there, rented a Condo from AirBnb, walking distance to SM, Session Road, Burnham Park. If your budget is small, stay at a hotel near Burnham Park. Will you be driving or public transportation?

You could also stay at a hotel such as Paladin which is close to many restaurants, Burnham Park, etc., then have a taxi give you a tour of John Hay, drop you at the Manor for lunch or dinner and picture taking then another taxi to where ever. https://www.agoda.com/paladin-hotel/hotel/baguio-ph.html?finalPriceView=1&isShowMobileAppPrice=false&cid=-1&numberOfBedrooms=&familyMode=false&adults=2&children=0&rooms=1&maxRooms=0&checkIn=2024-07-16&isCalendarCallout=false&childAges=&numberOfGuest=0&missingChildAges=false&travellerType=1&showReviewSubmissionEntry=false&currencyCode=PHP&isFreeOccSearch=false&los=1&searchrequestid=f676f8e2-98e8-4414-8bb9-17ed34a9f096

Now is the time to go to John Hay because big changes are expected there soon. https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1954483/baguio-mayor-bcda-eyeing-multiple-developers-for-camp-john-hay

Baguio.jpg

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 3

MikeyD
Posted
Posted
On 7/7/2024 at 3:20 PM, Rooster said:

I have absolutely no complaints about Forest Lodge.

Thanks for sharing that the Forest Lodge is a good place to stay.

How many nights do you plan on staying in Baguio?

5 nights

Will you be driving or public transportation?

At this point, I'm thinking we will take taxis (Grab or otherwise) while we are there but have started thinking about renting a car or SUV with a driver ... TBD. 

You could also stay at a hotel such as Paladin which is close to many restaurants, Burnham Park, etc., then have a taxi give you a tour of John Hay, drop you at the Manor for lunch or dinner and picture taking then another taxi to where ever.

The Paladin looks nice also.  My wife actually wants to stay in a hotel away from things.

We settled on the Forest Lodge and have reservations now.  They told my wife that they have a "shuttle" (van?) to transport us directly to/from Clark but it seems pretty pricy (she said 12,000 PHP each way).  She doesn't want to take a bus since she is not familiar with the area which seems to be the cheapest way.  From a couple of internet searches it looks like a taxi may "only" be 4,000 to 5,000 PHP each way.  The hotel told my wife that there are taxis at Clark and/or Baguio but they don't travel between the two but that doesn't sound right but I really don't know, maybe an ulterior motive is to convince her to pay for the shuttle, who knows.  I really don't believe much of what people here say anymore, whether intended or not there seems to be a lot of miscommunication.  In any event, we are still looking for other options.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

5 nights

At this point, I'm thinking we will take taxis (Grab or otherwise) while we are there but have started thinking about renting a car or SUV with a driver ... TBD. 

The Paladin looks nice also.  My wife actually wants to stay in a hotel away from things.

We settled on the Forest Lodge and have reservations now.  They told my wife that they have a "shuttle" (van?) to transport us directly to/from Clark but it seems pretty pricy (she said 12,000 PHP each way).  She doesn't want to take a bus since she is not familiar with the area which seems to be the cheapest way.  From a couple of internet searches it looks like a taxi may "only" be 4,000 to 5,000 PHP each way.  The hotel told my wife that there are taxis at Clark and/or Baguio but they don't travel between the two but that doesn't sound right but I really don't know, maybe an ulterior motive is to convince her to pay for the shuttle, who knows.  I really don't believe much of what people here say anymore, whether intended or not there seems to be a lot of miscommunication.  In any event, we are still looking for other options.

It's what, a 2.5 hour journey?  12,000php one-way does seem very high.  

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

5 nights

Do a google search, I am sure you will find a few options that are less than 12k each way.   My guess is around 8k, still saves you 8000 pesos total.   Try the breakfast buffet at The Manor, we thought it was really good.   They have a dinner buffet as well, but we never tried that.   One of the good things about Baguio is the availability of some pretty decent restaurants (good variety as well).  Enjoy

graham59
Posted
Posted

12k pesos is ridiculous.

Victory Liner now run very comfy 'First Class' buses up to Baguio (I think about p1500 from Manila). Very nice.

Worth investigating via their Facebook page. 

• Like 3