Best non-beach vacation destinations in the Philippines

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mikey, My suggestion. After you retrieve your luggage at Clark, go outside and take a Blue Taxi to Dau Bus Terminal. Distance is 9km Cost should be less than P500

https://www.facebook.com/p/Blue-Taxi-Clark-Pampanga-247-100063957758678/

https://www.facebook.com/login/?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2F722717288561152%2F

Clark to Dau Bus Terminal 9km

From Dau Terminal, many buses going to Baguio. Cost P1,500 or less from Dau to Baguio for both tickets.

There a 2 terminals in Baguio, both close to SM mall.

Dau to Bauio map

From Baguio  Bus stations to Forest lodge. P200 one way.

In Baguio, just take Taxis everywhere. Many are available. Feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes.... standard price asked by blue taxis, Clark Airport to Dau is p500. I knock them down to p400...though still a bloody ripoff. 

The very comfy Victory Liner First Class bus may go via Marquee Mall though. I haven't used it yet. 

Worth investigating, as it is a long ride up to Baguio (and past my place). 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2024 at 10:25 AM, Rooster said:

PAL stopped flights from Cebu to Baguio

When did the flight stop?  My BIL just flew it two weeks ago.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

When did the flight stop?  My BIL just flew it two weeks ago.

Per Google

<snip>May 31, 2024 — BAGUIO CITY — Commercial flights of the Philippine Airlines (PAL) from Baguio to Cebu and vice versa are set to end on July 1, 2024.<end snip>

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Per Google

<snip>May 31, 2024 — BAGUIO CITY — Commercial flights of the Philippine Airlines (PAL) from Baguio to Cebu and vice versa are set to end on July 1, 2024.<end snip>

Maybe seasonal, rainy season?  Or permanent, again?  BIL must have got one of the last flights.  

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Maybe seasonal, rainy season?  Or permanent, again?  BIL must have got one of the last flights.  

yeah, I thought they closed down that airport like 15 years ago??  hmmmm  just looked it up:  "However, the previously closed Loakan Airport reopened and continued operations on December 16, 2022, starting with flights to and from Cebu in the Visayas region. Unfortunately, starting July 1, 2024, the Baguio - Cebu route will be suspended."

Edited by craftbeerlover

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

yeah, I thought they closed down that airport like 15 years ago??  hmmmm  just looked it up:  "However, the previously closed Loakan Airport reopened and continued operations on December 16, 2022, starting with flights to and from Cebu in the Visayas region. Unfortunately, starting July 1, 2024, the Baguio - Cebu route will be suspended."

There were a few accidents there years ago.  It can be challenging during bad weather so they always had a lot of cancellations.  I was surprised when PAL started back up.  Demand might be low because of the safety history.

I have driven across the runway many times!

P1320431.JPG

• Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They were losing money. No Passengers. Same with PAL's Cebu - Laoag Flights. Govt. subsidies are used to attract the airlines. No more subsidies to pay/compensate  for vacant seats, no more flights.

https://www.philstar.com/business/2024/05/31/2359374/pal-halt-baguio-cebu-flights

https://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2024-06-18T13:55:00%2B08:00&max-results=8

• 1 month later...
MikeyD
Posted
Posted

As a follow up to close the loop, we did travel to Baguio earlier this month.  We stayed at the Forest Lodge in Camp John Hay for one week, everything was fine there, no real complaints.  It did rain almost every day but not all day so we were still able to go and do and see things.  Baguio was ok but I was not all that impressed but I can see it as a good destination as a getaway for locals especially for people from Manilla within driving distance.  I think pine trees may be a novelty here but they were really common where I grew up.  The temperatures were very comfortable even without air conditioning.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Forest Lodge in Camp John Hay

That is about the only decent place to stay in Baguio (if you want some space, trees, trails etc.)  

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Baguio was ok but I was not all that impressed but I can see it as a good destination as a getaway for locals especially for people from Manilla within driving distance

There are some decent restaurants in Baguio, the market is a great place to stop before going home, but yeah I pretty much agree with you.

• Like 1