Bank account and ACR ID.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted

Dear all,

I will be under Tourist Visa Extensions, and need to open a bank account as soon as i'm in the Philippines.
Foreign nationals are required to bring one (1) valid photo-bearing government issued identification card (e.g. Passport, Driver's License, Social Security Number/ID) ACR and proof of address.
What's needed to get an ACR ID?

I must add that i seek to try open a company in the Philippines, and get a "SVEG VISA".
But this may not happen...
So i may be under Long Term Visa extensions permanently. Or to consider an SRRV or 13 (A) Visa.

Please confirm if i'll be able to have a normal life in PH under Long Term Visa extensions?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

When you extend as a tourist you will be issued an ACR card.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, f5m9v6 said:

So i may be under Long Term Visa extensions permanently.

Well you will have to leave the country every 3 years and start over

2 hours ago, f5m9v6 said:

Please confirm if i'll be able to have a normal life in PH under Long Term Visa extensions?

As I said, 3 years at a time, people have been challenged on this issue by BI :tiphat:

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Not entirely sure that you can get a bank account on a tourist ACR. Some banks may do some wont.. will require some shopping around.

Certainly cant get a Philippines driving licence uner a tourist ACR.

With an SRRV visa you can have a totally normal life.. come an go as you please, open bank accounts, get drive licence get a Tax ID number etc.

Restrictions apply when on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It's been my experience it varies from bank to bank, even branch to branch of the same bank.  

BPI allowed me to open an account without an ACR.  Granted, that was about 12 years ago and I closed it about 3 years later and it's doubtful you'd find anyone that would do that now.  Fast forward to 2022 and BPI in central Dumaguete would not allow me to open an account with a tourist ACR stating I need to be on a 13a or SRRV, the branch on the North Rd just out of town near the new MacDonalds did allow me to open an account on a tourist ACR.  It was a similar situation with Landbank - I opened a Landbank account as we moved to a more remote area and they have a full-service branch where we are rather than just an agency which only allows deposits and withdrawals which is often the case with bank agencies as opposed to full branches.   My point being, check what's available where you want to live and shop around in a major city.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Certainly cant get a Philippines driving licence uner a tourist ACR.

Is this a typo?  Most expats I know on tourist visas have had no issues getting a PI licence, myself included. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Is this a typo?  Most expats I know on tourist visas have had no issues getting a PI licence, myself included. 

A few years ago, I went in to get a Philippine driver's license and they turned me down right away when they saw I only had a tourist visa. They told me that I needed to have a one year or longer visa. Perhaps this is handled differently in other locations. You know how things vary from place to place.

• Like 4

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well you will have to leave the country every 3 years and start over

Is flying to a nearby country and return enough?
Or they may cause know issues in the airport?

2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

As I said, 3 years at a time, people have been challenged on this issue by BI :tiphat:

Challenged in which way?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, f5m9v6 said:

Is flying to a nearby country and return enough?
Or they may cause know issues in the airport?

Yes that is enough

1 minute ago, f5m9v6 said:

Challenged in which way?

Many members here have said that  if Immigration latch on to your regular in and Out of the PI every 3 years they will tell you that there  are other  Visa you can apply for, I think we all have to remember, Visa Free entry to the PI ( where possible) is a privilege Not a right ( as many BI officers will tell you :tiphat:

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

A few years ago, I went in to get a Philippine driver's license and they turned me down right away when they saw I only had a tourist visa. They told me that I needed to have a one year or longer visa. Perhaps this is handled differently in other locations. You know how things vary from place to place.

Good point, I should know better given my stated experience with the banking system :cheers:

• Thanks 1