It's a bit hard to find serious people for even small tasks in PH.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Possum said:

Finding serious people is easy, knowledgeable is another matter. Having intermittent shutdown of our PLDT internet for the last month we called them. Reminde them we had a typhoon which may have damaged the fiber but I don't think that registered. First guy brought a new modem which helped with wifi speed but of course did nothing about loss of internet. Next person said our signal strength was -35db and that meant our usage was too high causing the system to shut down. Besides the fact that made absolutely no sense whatsoever on any level we had nothing connected to the internet at the time. While in conversation with this 'expert' we could hear chickens and karaoke so we told them to send someone asap. I expect to see someone this week. Starlink may be in our future

We had issues a few years back and they (Globe) rolled out the usual excuses. They also changed everything, modem  whole cable run etc. Finally, it was discovered they had overloaded the supply box (under the table installations) and it only became an issue when a certain number of users were online and/or using the phone line. Once discovered,  they moved our line but of course they were simply moving our problem to somebody else!

Since we had fiber installed it's been very, very reliable with only one major issue where the maintenance guys cut through our line when cutting trees! 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Possum said:

My experience with PLDT has also been good until something happens which has not been often but it can take a couple of trips by different guys to get things sorted out. My speed this morning was 400+mbs download which is fine until it goes to 0. :wink:

This is true of everything here - it's great until it's not!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Possum said:

My experience with PLDT has also been good until something happens which has not been often but it can take a couple of trips by different guys to get things sorted out. My speed this morning was 400+mbs download which is fine until it goes to 0. :wink:

had to call them out twice in two weeks being without internet for 5 days, in the last two weeks. But on my desktop, wired to my modem I'm getting 250 Mbps but on the WiFi only getting 30 Mbps, sometimes no connection! PLDT.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, jimeve said:

But on my desktop, wired to my modem I'm getting 250 Mbps but on the WiFi only getting 30 Mbps, sometimes no connection! PLDT.

They did put in a newer model modem at no cost yesterday which greatly improved wireless speed when I have internet. Might want to ask them for their latest model.

• Like 1

spaul
Posted
Posted (edited)

Out in the province mine is intermittent. Up and down like a yoyo. Not off for long periods or anything, just buffering all of the time 0K to 500K then back down again. Most times my download is in bytes FFS. Very annoying and it's fibre. I'm an Ethernet guy. Straight into the modem. I sometimes wonder as they lay the new fibre lines (I see these guys out there all the time stringing new fibre) if they are actually adding more servers in the back end to handle the capacity? If you add more people to the service, you have to add more servers to distribute the load. That's how it works. My spidey senses tell me that's not the case. I sometimes imagine how this server farm looks and then I have to stop myself because chickens and pig farms start coming to mind.

Edited by spaul

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

But on my desktop, wired to my modem I'm getting 250 Mbps but on the WiFi only getting 30 Mbps, sometimes no connection! PLDT.

That sounds like wifi interference to me.

Do you live in an area with a lot of close neighbours using WiFi?  

If so you could try a WiFi scanner app to find out (and check for the clearest WiFi channel).

You should be able to change the WiFi channel in your router.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

If so you could try a WiFi scanner app to find out (and check for the clearest WiFi channel).

Thanks, my firestick gets high speed Mbps only my Phone and tablet get low connection speeds. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, jimeve said:

had to call them out twice in two weeks being without internet for 5 days, in the last two weeks. But on my desktop, wired to my modem I'm getting 250 Mbps but on the WiFi only getting 30 Mbps, sometimes no connection! PLDT.

I always get much slower speeds over WiFi than using the Lan connection.  My laptop upstairs is wired via Lan and I get 550mbps but on my smart TV which is right next to the modem I get about 200bmps. On our smartphones we typically get around the same 200mbps.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Isn't there only a choice of 3, or even 2 realistically?  I can choose between 2.4 and 5 channels.  Basically, 2.4 is better (more stable) for me if the device is further from the modem and 5 is better (faster) of the device is nearer the modem.  I have a WiFi 6 modem but I don't see any difference at all from my previous modem and I don't see any option on my devices to select it anyway.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

In response to the original posting regarding difficulty to find serious people for even small tasks...

L and I are at wit's end often as we try to find people to do work for us. We are both a bit picky and perhaps that is the root cause? We pay reasonable wages (perhaps a bit too generous?), provide snacks and Cokes or coffee and let them work with minimal interference, except when trying to achieve our desired results. We find the good workers tend to get popular, then perhaps a bit greedy, then they move on. Can't blame them for trying to improve their situations.

My observation is that most workers we have had here do not seem to think logically, but rather repeat work they have done before or seen others do before them. Sometimes it drives me nuts!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4