It's a bit hard to find serious people for even small tasks in PH.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, jimeve said:

Thanks, my firestick gets high speed Mbps only my Phone and tablet get low connection speeds. 

Sounds like the firestick and iphone/tablet are using different bands, or possibly the firestick is closer to the router?

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Isn't there only a choice of 3, or even 2 realistically?  I can choose between 2.4 and 5 channels.

<SNIP>

I don't see any option on my devices to select it anyway.  

There are 11 allocated 2.4 GHz wifi channels but they're too close together for more than 1, 6 and 11 to be usable in practice.

You don't select it in the device, you manually set it in the router.

More basic routers (and often locked down ISP supplied routers) sometimes lack that option.

That's why my preference is to use the ISP router in modem mode and run a separate fully configurable router/WiFi hot-spot.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

There are 11 allocated 2.4 GHz wifi channels but they're too close together for more than 1, 6 and 11 to be usable in practice.

You don't select it in the device, you manually set it in the router.

More basic routers (and often locked down ISP supplied routers) sometimes lack that option.

That's why my preference is to use the ISP router in modem mode and run a separate fully configurable router/WiFi hot-spot.

I suspected I was barking up the wrong tree - thanks for the explanation!

I cannot access the menu options on my Globe router anyway as they don't share the password.

• Like 1

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
On 6/29/2024 at 1:09 AM, Mike J said:

When you buy a SIM card it must be registered when you buy it.  Suggest to go to Lazada and order a sim for delivery to Europe.  You will be asked to provide ID and pictures of ID.  No one is going to buy a SIM in there own name and send it to you.  You can either buy from Lazada or buy when you arrive.

Clear.

I have to buy in advance to register in bank before i fly. So lazada is a good option if they do ship to europe.

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
On 6/29/2024 at 1:09 AM, Mike J said:

When you buy a SIM card it must be registered when you buy it.  Suggest to go to Lazada and order a sim for delivery to Europe.  You will be asked to provide ID and pictures of ID.  No one is going to buy a SIM in there own name and send it to you.  You can either buy from Lazada or buy when you arrive.

Will i be able to do the registering process here in europe and activate it?
Will the carrier accept it from here?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, f5m9v6 said:

Will i be able to do the registering process here in europe and activate it?
Will the carrier accept it from here?

If you buy a sim online, they will ask you to submit jpegs of ID (via their web site) as part of the sales process.   The sim will be active when the sale is complete.

• Like 2

f5m9v6
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Mike J said:

If you buy a sim online, they will ask you to submit jpegs of ID (via their web site) as part of the sales process.   The sim will be active when the sale is complete.

Makes sense.
I will get it done with lazada.

Possum
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2024 at 11:25 AM, Possum said:

Finding serious people is easy, knowledgeable is another matter. Having intermittent shutdown of our PLDT internet for the last month we called them. Reminde them we had a typhoon which may have damaged the fiber but I don't think that registered. First guy brought a new modem which helped with wifi speed but of course did nothing about loss of internet. Next person said our signal strength was -35db and that meant our usage was too high causing the system to shut down. Besides the fact that made absolutely no sense whatsoever on any level we had nothing connected to the internet at the time. While in conversation with this 'expert' we could hear chickens and karaoke so we told them to send someone asap. I expect to see someone this week. Starlink may be in our future

An update. After 5 visits from PLDT we finally have internet back. Remains to be seen how reliable it will be. They replaced the fiber from the neighborhood junction box to our house after only 9 days. Still don't have TV as the new router/modem they installed isn't compatible with their TV system.

I did learn that in the Philippines the standard acceptable signal strength is -18db. The guy asked what it is in the USA and I told him -10 to-20 but most will create a service check at -17db. He also said they weren't required to remove bad fiber, so they don't which is why you see the mass of spaghetti everywhere. Some other department will be coming out over the wife's TV issue.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good luck Possum. It must be very frustrating. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am considering going with Starlink.  Any forum members have it?  Any issues or problems?