Speed Guns Are Not Legalized In the Philippines

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

What I did not get from the article is if this will suspend the use of speed guns until a law is enacted???  Here in the freeport they have two.  I will see if they are still out there over the coming days.

@Rooster They probably used the finger method with you! :hystery:

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/did-lto-and-dotr-say-they-can-t-establish-legality-of-speed-radar.html?

Use of speed radar/gun not yet legal
As a driver or motorcycle rider who is duly licensed by the Land Transportation Office (LTO), we are all aware of following the prescribed speed limits on national, secondary and tertiary roads, as well as the speed limits on expressways.

Authorities must use a device to properly measure the vehicle or motorcycle’s speed, such as a speed gun or speed radar.

However, it seems that these speed-measuring devices have not yet been established as speed-measuring devices since Republic Act 4136 or The Land Transportation and Traffic Code was signed in June of 1964.

Advertisement

DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo blocked this video to prevent Facebook from tracking you
We blocked Facebook from tracking you when the page loaded. If you unblock this content, Facebook will know your activity. Learn More

Unblock Facebook Video

During the House Committee on Transportation inquiry today, June 27, 2024, Leyte 4th District Representative, Cong. Richard Gomez, asked the LTO and the Department of Transportation (DOTr) what devices are used to distinguish the actual speed of an oncoming vehicle (or motorcycle) on the road. LTO Director Francis Almora explained the prescribed speed limits on all types of roads.

When Cong. Gomez clarified how these agencies know if the vehicle or motorcycle is in fact overspeeding, it was determined that speed guns are the speed measuring device that they use.

“Papaano nyo nalalaman na overspeeding ang isang sasakyan? Ano ang ginagamit nyo pang measure o pang sukat? Mata mata lang ba ito or turo turo lang ‘uy, mabilis oh’, or what equipment do we use?”

(How would you know if the vehicle is overspeeding? What measuring device are you using? Do you only use your eyes or just estimate by pointing your finger 'hey, that's fast' or what equipment do we use?)

Did LTO and DOTr say they can't establish legality of speed radar? image

The LTO, being the primary enforcer of traffic laws, through Dir. Almora, answered Cong. Gomez’ question by saying it should be the speed gun.

“Under the law, is the speed gun acceptable? Or is there any law in the Philippines that allows us [authorities] to use a speed gun?” rebutted Cong. Gomez.

The LTO, the DOTr, as well as the Philippine National Police (PNP) all responded that there are currently no laws that establish speed guns (or similar speed measuring devices) as means to apprehend overspeeding vehicles and or motorcycles.

“So, gumagawa tayo ng mga speed limits sa kalsada, pero hindi natin alam kung nagba-violate sila? Kahit tayo mismo na nagmamaneho, alam natin, nakikita natin na may speed limit, [but] it doesn’t matter kung sumo-sobra tayo because we can always question it in court if nahuli tayo ng overspeeding,” said Cong. Gomez.

(So. we have speed limits and yet we do not know if motorists violate them? Even us who drives know and see that there are speed limits but it doesn't matter if we go over the limits because we can always question it in court if we are apprehended for overspeeding.)

Cong. Gomez has proposed the Committee on Transportation to come up with a House Bill to legalize the use of speed guns or similar devices as speed measuring devices to apprehend overspeeding violators.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What I did not get from the article is if this will suspend the use of speed guns until a law is enacted???  Here in the freeport they have two.  I will see if they are still out there over the coming days.

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/did-lto-and-dotr-say-they-can-t-establish-legality-of-speed-radar.html?

Use of speed radar/gun not yet legal
As a driver or motorcycle rider who is duly licensed by the Land Transportation Office (LTO), we are all aware of following the prescribed speed limits on national, secondary and tertiary roads, as well as the speed limits on expressways.

Authorities must use a device to properly measure the vehicle or motorcycle’s speed, such as a speed gun or speed radar.

However, it seems that these speed-measuring devices have not yet been established as speed-measuring devices since Republic Act 4136 or The Land Transportation and Traffic Code was signed in June of 1964.

Advertisement

DuckDuckGo
DuckDuckGo blocked this video to prevent Facebook from tracking you
We blocked Facebook from tracking you when the page loaded. If you unblock this content, Facebook will know your activity. Learn More

Unblock Facebook Video

During the House Committee on Transportation inquiry today, June 27, 2024, Leyte 4th District Representative, Cong. Richard Gomez, asked the LTO and the Department of Transportation (DOTr) what devices are used to distinguish the actual speed of an oncoming vehicle (or motorcycle) on the road. LTO Director Francis Almora explained the prescribed speed limits on all types of roads.

When Cong. Gomez clarified how these agencies know if the vehicle or motorcycle is in fact overspeeding, it was determined that speed guns are the speed measuring device that they use.

“Papaano nyo nalalaman na overspeeding ang isang sasakyan? Ano ang ginagamit nyo pang measure o pang sukat? Mata mata lang ba ito or turo turo lang ‘uy, mabilis oh’, or what equipment do we use?”

(How would you know if the vehicle is overspeeding? What measuring device are you using? Do you only use your eyes or just estimate by pointing your finger 'hey, that's fast' or what equipment do we use?)

Did LTO and DOTr say they can't establish legality of speed radar? image

The LTO, being the primary enforcer of traffic laws, through Dir. Almora, answered Cong. Gomez’ question by saying it should be the speed gun.

“Under the law, is the speed gun acceptable? Or is there any law in the Philippines that allows us [authorities] to use a speed gun?” rebutted Cong. Gomez.

The LTO, the DOTr, as well as the Philippine National Police (PNP) all responded that there are currently no laws that establish speed guns (or similar speed measuring devices) as means to apprehend overspeeding vehicles and or motorcycles.

“So, gumagawa tayo ng mga speed limits sa kalsada, pero hindi natin alam kung nagba-violate sila? Kahit tayo mismo na nagmamaneho, alam natin, nakikita natin na may speed limit, [but] it doesn’t matter kung sumo-sobra tayo because we can always question it in court if nahuli tayo ng overspeeding,” said Cong. Gomez.

(So. we have speed limits and yet we do not know if motorists violate them? Even us who drives know and see that there are speed limits but it doesn't matter if we go over the limits because we can always question it in court if we are apprehended for overspeeding.)

Cong. Gomez has proposed the Committee on Transportation to come up with a House Bill to legalize the use of speed guns or similar devices as speed measuring devices to apprehend overspeeding violators.

Anything that can be done to improve the driving experience here should be supported. Usual caveats apply.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Anything that can be done to improve the driving experience here should be supported. Usual caveats apply.

In the absence of corruption I support the use of speed guns in certain areas that are designated to be unsafe due to speeding.  That is why they need a law to set up the parameters of usage and equipment rules.

I got pulled over for speeding a month ago.  50 in a 40 I think, or something like that.  Maybe 55.  Cost p200, so each officer got p100.  They probably would have wanted more, but my wife only had p200.

• Haha 5

Youngster
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In the absence of corruption I support the use of speed guns in certain areas that are designated to be unsafe due to speeding.  That is why they need a law to set up the parameters of usage and equipment rules.

I got pulled over for speeding a month ago.  50 in a 40 I think, or something like that.  Maybe 55.  Cost p200, so each officer got p100.  They probably would have wanted more, but my wife only had p200.

You are a great negotiator.  It cost me 700 pesos for crossing “double yellow line” while driving around in Manila. There were 2 officers. 

were they using a radar/laser gun when they pulled you over for speeding? I’ve made several trips on expressways between Angeles NAIA and Batangas with my 20 year old radar/laser detector, and all I got were false alarms mostly on the Skyway.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Youngster said:

were they using a radar/laser gun when they pulled you over for speeding?

Yes, sorry I was not clear.  Subic Freeport LED have two operational speed guns.

Actually this is the first time I had to pay in the Freeport and we only did so because my wife quickly offered to get us going.  Normally the Freeport LED let Freeport residents off with a warning.  I think, in 10 years, I have been pulled over 4-5 times in the Freeport.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, sorry I was not clear.  Subic Freeport LED have two operational speed guns.

Actually this is the first time I had to pay in the Freeport and we only did so because my wife quickly offered to get us going.  Normally the Freeport LED let Freeport residents off with a warning.  I think, in 10 years, I have been pulled over 4-5 times in the Freeport.

They use them in Clark all the time.  I see people being pulled over quite frequently.   I have  lead foot, so I need to be careful.  Fortunately they set up the speed zones in the exact same place every time

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

They use them in Clark all the time.  I see people being pulled over quite frequently.   I have  lead foot, so I need to be careful.  Fortunately they set up the speed zones in the exact same place every time

Report back if you are still seeing them.  They use them on SCTEX too.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Fortunately they set up the speed zones in the exact same place every time

Probably in places where they can stand in the shade right?:whistling:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, scott h said:

There is a bus stop there I believe.  It is actually good to see them!   They are cracking down on Pogo all around me as well, it is a much bigger issue than I would have ever imagined.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

Absolutely!