Cops banned from moonlighting

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I think this is a mistake.  If PNP members need to make more money and can't moonlight, they will be more subject to bribes, etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/cops-banned-from-moonlighting/ar-BB1p9Qml?cvid=3a41836ce7bc4806a3fbf9c57d75fc93&ei=28

THE Philippine National Police (PNP) on Sunday prohibited members of the police force from moonlighting for private individuals.

The ban was contained in the latest directive of PNP chief Rommel Francisco Marbil.

"Our duty is to ensure the safety of our citizens. Police must be available at all times to address the needs and concerns of the public," Marbil said.

Banning moonlighting reinforces the PNP's "commitment to quick and efficient response to any situation," he said.

Marbil also called for an intensified drive against cybercrime, allocating more resources and enhancing capabilities to combat the growing threat of cyber-related offenses.

Cybercrime cases have risen by 21.84 percent in the first quarter of 2014 over the last year. Online selling scams, credit fraud and investment scams top the offenses.

The increased online activity, sophisticated cybercrime tactics and the public's lack of awareness are factors that led to the rise in cybercrimes.

Marbil also announced a major crackdown on illegal firearms, illegal drugs and the dismantling of private armed groups ahead of the 2025 elections as he directed 85 percent of the force to field duties.

The PNP will increase checkpoints and patrols while "cyber cops focus on internet crimes," he said.

Marbil encouraged the public to report any police abuse through these hotlines: PNP Hotline: 117 or 911; Anti-Cybercrime Group: (02) 414-1560; and Internal Affairs Service: (02) 723-0401 to 20.

"Your safety is our priority, and your feedback is essential in helping us improve our services. Together, we can build a safer and more secure community," Marbil said.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Mike J said:

If PNP members need to make more money

I just did some quick research not to look like a total buffoon, so if the numbers are off a bit go gentle on me :whistling:

A new patrolman makes 30k pesos a month and goes up from there (not counting incentives etc), the Manila minimum wage is about 18k a month. So its not like they are not being paid pretty well. 

Perhaps the problem lies that a cop must support the entire family, while all the brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles lie around the house. Like OFW families, one goes overseas and supports the entire clan.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I think this is a mistake.  If PNP members need to make more money and can't moonlight, they will be more subject to bribes, etc.

And it's not as if a PNP member would ever use their status whilst in their after hours job to extract more bribes...

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

I'd love to think the extra income they get from moonlighting is enough to deter them from taking bribes but I seriously doubt it.  

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

A big part of the problem are the clients that are doing the hiring.  We had many pogo personnel living near us and a few of them had three or 4 hired body guards with them.   Many of the people that need body guards in the Philippines need them because of nefarious activities.   It is quite an embarrassment for members of the SAF (for example), to be moonlighting for criminals.  Beyond the embarrassment, the guards can easily be linked to the criminal activity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Beyond the embarrassment, the guards can easily be linked to the criminal activity.

Don't know if you can get it online but documentary Kim Dotcom explains some things about law enforcement here.

• Like 1