DepEd and miseducation

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Did you find Noblesse yet?  It is near Westfields.  I don't know much about it but I drove close to the campus before and it seems nice.  They have the IB program.

https://www.nis.com.ph/

During Covid 2 of my kids went to Manila Times which also has the IB program now. 

https://tmtc.edu.ph/ib/

We switched them to First School after Covid for socialization reasons.  Manila Times did not have many kids in grade school at that time and after Covid lockdowns we wanted them to have a lot of socialization.

First School is just OK.  We visited Manila Times a few months back and considered moving them back.  However, we found that there are a few more kids, but they are combining grades until they have more kids.  E.g., grades 3 and 4 are combined into one classroom.  So we enrolled at First School again for this next year.  My daughters will be in grades 3 and 5.  We will take another look at Manila Times for next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you find Noblesse yet?  It is near Westfields.  I don't know much about it but I drove close to the campus before and it seems nice.  They have the IB program.

https://www.nis.com.ph/

During Covid 2 of my kids went to Manila Times which also has the IB program now. 

https://tmtc.edu.ph/ib/

We switched them to First School after Covid for socialization reasons.  Manila Times did not have many kids in grade school at that time and after Covid lockdowns we wanted them to have a lot of socialization.

First School is just OK.  We visited Manila Times a few months back and considered moving them back.  However, we found that there are a few more kids, but they are combining grades until they have more kids.  E.g., grades 3 and 4 are combined into one classroom.  So we enrolled at First School again for this next year.  My daughters will be in grades 3 and 5.  We will take another look at Manila Times for next year.

We have not yet looked at Noblesse but we will.   We really would much rather stay in Clark than to move into Angeles, that is why St Pauls is so tempting (but fricken expensive).   It is actually a hell of a lot cheaper than the Singapore school that is really close though.  St Pauls is about a 4 minute drive from where we currently live.   We both want our next move to be the last, and picking a school is going to dictate.  We still have 2 years, but I dont want to wait till the last minute.   I knew finding a decent affordable school was going to be a challenge, but it has now crossed over into, 'a pain in the ass' category.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

It's based on the American education system.  Now, I'm not in any way suggesting that's a bad thing at all but are any academic qualifications acknowledged by DepEd?  If not, would that cause issues in future?  

I raise the issue because in my previous life I met plenty of Hong Kong parents and students who studied in private schools in the UK but the vast majority of them were not recognised by the education department and this would be an issue when applying for UK universities. 

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

but are any academic qualifications acknowledged by DepEd

Yes, they are recognized by DepEd

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We are moving back to ph later this month and wanted a good private school for our daughter to start first grade. Did alot of research and found an IB school we liked. As part of the enrollment process a teacher interviewed her over zoom to make sure she was ready for first grade. They also wanted documents for preschool and kindergarten. We had homeschooled so instead we gave her the Iowa Basic assessment. They finally accepted those test results instead of having official school documents after seeing she tested at a 2nd grade level in most areas. Like others we looked to find the school first before deciding where to live.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

The tuition for some of the so called international schools in the Philippines is ridiculous. Some charge more than the best private schools in Washington DC and Manhattan NY, two of the most expensive places to live in the world.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Possum said:

The tuition for some of the so called international schools in the Philippines is ridiculous. Some charge more than the best private schools in Washington DC and Manhattan NY, two of the most expensive places to live in the world.

Agreed, the Singapore school right next to me would cost me just under 500,000 pesos for 1 year of Kindergarten.... WTF.   That includes two one time non refundable admission fees.   People with that kind of money have three choices, a public school, an almost equivalent private school, or a solid education.   Said it a million times, what this country does to its 'ordinary' citizens is criminal.   That is why I always took a breath when I would hear the Filipino Pride slogan.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Possum said:

The tuition for some of the so called international schools in the Philippines is ridiculous

6 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

ust under 500,000 pesos for 1 year of Kindergarten

We don't have kids, but watching this thread makes me wonder. At these High cost schools, something must justify the price. Are the teachers trained overseas? Imported teachers? Do the test scores reflect the price, are graduates admitted to great universities?  

Something must justify the cost, I cant see Filipinos paying that price just for bragging rights.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, scott h said:

We don't have kids, but watching this thread makes me wonder. At these High cost schools, something must justify the price. Are the teachers trained overseas? Imported teachers? Do the test scores reflect the price, are graduates admitted to great universities?  

Something must justify the cost, I cant see Filipinos paying that price just for bragging rights.

I forgot where many of my friends sent their kids to school, but it was in Manila.  And I do not think they were paying the prices I am seeing here in Pampanga.     I just asked one of my friends and he sent his kids to La Salle Green Hills and thinks they paid about 130k a year (that was 5 years ago)

Possum
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, scott h said:

. At these High cost schools, something must justify the price. Are the teachers trained overseas? Imported teachers? Do the test scores reflect the price, are graduates admitted to great universities?  

At St Paul some are trained overseas and not Filipino, but majority trained in Philippines. Looking at alumni many were admitted to good universities but nothing exceptional as far as I could see. I am sure it's an above Philippines average school but I can't justify the price.

• Like 2