DepEd and miseducation

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Possum said:

I am sure it's an above Philippines average school but I can't justify the price.

I wonder what the cost would be in the States or any other country? many like to do cost comparisons

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little

Possum
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I wonder what the cost would be in the States or any other country? many like to do cost comparisons

A quick Google search shows the best private schools in Manhattan or Washington DC area cost on average less than St Paul Clark.  The private school where I used to live cost less about half of the St Paul tuition and that school had kids from families who could send their children anywhere. Tiger Woods' children were going there among other well to do types.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Possum said:

A quick Google search shows the best private schools in Manhattan or Washington DC area cost on average less than St Paul Clark.  The private school where I used to live cost less about half of the St Paul tuition and that school had kids from families who could send their children anywhere. Tiger Woods' children were going there among other well to do types.

crazy huh

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In BGC we found private international schools which cost around $20k USD, around the same as the avg private school cost in NYC below. Too much for our budget.

https://www.privateschoolreview.com/tuition-stats/new-york

The average private school tuition in New York is $21,118 per year (2024).
The private elementary school average tuition cost is $21,367 per year and the private high school average is $27,322 per year.
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Probably much more relevant to compare to places like Hong Kong and Singapore given the demographics of the students.

In HK a good international school (and actual international) charges around 20,000 USD a year. I'd say any school here charging more than that is simply exploiting the wealth of the parents -:any of us living here are well aware of how far some here will go to get bragging rights. 

Of course, that's before we get into the quality of education. We can cut it any way we like but looking at the rankings of HK universities and universities here surely tells us all we need to know about that comparison. 

I'll also throw into the mix the  fact that the vast majority of Brits go to state schools (and universities) so we are not familiar with the concept of paying for basic education - the idea of having a college fund is alien to us Brits. I'd also say we are less competitive in the education field  - I don't mean less successful but less willing to pay for it,   including tutoring etc. However, given the relatively small population of the UK I'd say we more than hold our own in terms of academic achievement (myself excluded,  obviously)!

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

In BGC we found private international schools which cost around $20k USD, around the same as the avg private school cost in NYC below. Too much for our budget.

https://www.privateschoolreview.com/tuition-stats/new-york

The average private school tuition in New York is $21,118 per year (2024).
The private elementary school average tuition cost is $21,367 per year and the private high school average is $27,322 per year.

In fairness though the land in BGC is probably worth as much as or more than an average area in NY. Not sure about all of them but I know the British School Manila has all British/Commonwealth teachers so the salaries will probably be around the same also.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

'd say any school here charging more than that is simply exploiting the wealth of the parents -:any of us living here are well aware of how far some here will go to get bragging rights. 

Actually I think a lot of these very expensive schools cater to families who have the tuition paid for by the companies that the expat breadwinner works for.  Companies have to lure good upper management employees to take overseas posts, and a big education allowance is a good incentive.  Maybe even some Philippines companies have education in contracts for senior management.

We have Brent International School here in Subic and they also have the main branch in Manila.  They have a lot of American teachers.  I met a husband and wife who were both teaching there, but were moving on to another country.  They were selling their car and I looked at it.  If you have American / Foreign teachers, they will have high salaries, thus contributing to high tuition.

Funny thing is, I only know 2 parents who have kids at Brent.  One is a Filipina who works there and probably gets free tuition.  The others are South Africans who are very wealthy.  I think Brent has a high % of Korean kids.

On the other had, I know a lot of parents and ex-students, mostly well to do Filipinos, who use SPED.  Special Education for the Gifted.  It is a public school that turns out some of the best educated kids in this area.  They could afford Brent, but choose SPED.  We asked about enrolling my then 5 year old, but got the cold shoulder because she did not speak Tagalog.  We have Phil-Brit friends whose kids were able to go there because they speak Tagalog.

If your child is fluent in Tagalog, you could look into SPED schools around the Philippine.  I know there are others.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

If your child is fluent in Tagalog, you could look into SPED schools around the Philippine.  I know there are others.

That won't work for us, the only tagalog my daughter knows are those special sharp words my wife uses that are just for me.

Edited by earthdome
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

This is where my step-daughter (previous marriage) went to.  School is Westside Christian School.  A good education and with highly motivated teachers.

,snip>

Tuition for the 2024-2025 school year is $15,990
  • Tuition includes textbook rental, consumable workbooks, and student admission to most home athletic events.
  • Monthly, annual, and semester payment plans are available.

Book & Technology Fee | $600
We believe that preparing out students for leadership includes preparing them to use technology confidently, capably, and ethically. The book and technology fee supports our technology program, including integration of technology in the classroom. 
  • Textbooks / e-books / workbooks
  • Lenovo ThinkPad Chromebook computer for every student  
  • Licensing fees
  • Technology upgrades and maintenance of all classroom technology 
  • Network infrastructure and access
  • Student and teacher technology support 
Student Life Fee | $175
Westside Christian High School values an involved community. Student Life activities are designed to promote community by giving students the opportunity to spend time together in social settings outside of school. The events this fee supports include, but are not limited to: 
  • First Friday
  • Fall Festival
  • Sadie Hawkins
  • Banquet 
  • Class parties 
Athletics | $250 per program
Students involved in an athletic program at WCHS will be billed $250 per sport (with a cap of $500 per student). Practice gear and other items may be required at an additional cost. Contact respective coach for more information. 

Additional Fees
Additional fees may be required for specific classes, activities, yearbooks, visual and performing arts programs, tests, retreats, and trips.  

Optional programs with fees include: 
  • summer camps 
  • athletic and fine arts programs
  • class trips, 
  • on-site food service
  • yearbook.

*fees are subject to change

<end snip>

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

That won't work for us, the only tagalog my daughter knows are those special sharp words my wife uses that are just for me.

That is the scope of my Tagalog vocabulary too! 

• Haha 2