A Receipt from Imelda Marcos' Bulgari Shopping in 1978 Resurfaces on Getty Archives

Lee
Posted
Posted

Founded in Rome in 1884, the luxury fashion brand Bulgari officially broke into the international scene in 1972, opening its first boutique at The Pierre in New York City. Six years later, First Lady of the Philippines Imelda Romualdez Marcos would walk through its doors. Her shopping day, dated July 20, 1978, would see her purchasing six jewelry items, spending over one million dollars. 

A receipt from the politician's shopping spree have since resurfaced online through Facebook posts. The original black-and-white image of the paper receipt was taken by photojournalist Alex Bowie on February 25, 1986—the historic night the ruling family fled to Hawaii. According to the description on Getty Images, the receipt was found in the back of the Malacañang Palace among other documents. The latest update of the photo was uploaded to Getty Images on September 1, 2021. 

All the Bulgari Jewelry Purchased by Imelda Marcos, Totaling 1.431 Million USD 

According to the receipt, the Marcos matriarch purchased six pieces of jewelry: a platinum and emerald bracelet, gold and diamond earclips, a diamond-studded 18-karat gold ring, a pearl necklace with platinum and diamonds, 18-karat gold earrings with rubies and various other precious stones, and a second 18-karat gold and diamond ring. 

The comprehensive receipt even included special details on the precise number of diamonds, emeralds, rubies, pearls, and other ornaments present on each piece. 

In total, Imelda Marcos spent exactly $1,431,000 on the above pieces. Today, this amount would be valued at approximately $7,000,000, or P409,657,500.

A Receipt from Imelda Marcos' Bulgari Shopping in 1978 Resurfaces on Getty Archives (msn.com)

May be a black-and-white image of ticket stub and text

• Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Junior in England around 1977 when Daddy bought him a "Special Diploma" from Oxford. 

Filipinos deserve better than this.

F2CEB397-726B-4A87-A690-43B4A3BA2A69_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Junior in England around 1977 when Daddy bought him a "Special Diploma" from Oxford. 

I loved that movie. :hystery:

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

Bong has recently stated that the Dep of Ed should start including Philippine history into school curriculums.

This receipt should be used as an example as to the abuses inflicted upon the Philippines by his family during martial law.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Lee said:

Bong has recently stated that the Dep of Ed should start including Philippine history into school curriculums.

This receipt should be used as an example as to the abuses inflicted upon the Philippines by his family during martial law.

You may be surprised how many Filipinos Actually lived a better life during this time, :tiphat:

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

You may be surprised how many Filipinos Actually lived a better life during this time

Other Filipinos didn't fare very well at all.

Ninoy did get an airport named after himself if that's any consolation.

Some 70,000 people were imprisoned, 34,000 were tortured and over 3,200 people were killed in the nine years after Mr Marcos imposed martial law, according to Amnesty International.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63056898

Edited by Lee
added info
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Lee said:

according to Amnesty International.

Who could Not find the money Nuff said you have a Topic all to yourself here as far as I'm concerned This is just muckraking, Me?  Homer out of Here..jpg

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

You may be surprised how many Filipinos Actually lived a better life during this time, :tiphat:

It's true Jack. My wife and her extended family have nothing but good things to say about Marcos Sr.

Go figure. :wink:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There are many anecdotal stories about lavish Imelda Marcos' spending.  One involved her paying astronomical amounts for classic Italian paintings by the artist Botticelli.  I recall a well-known art collector whom we met who said, "Three elements are needed to accumulate a collection.  Money.  Time.  Taste."  She had the money.  But it was impossible to collect that many artworks by a single artist in such a short time.  Taste came from an Italian art dealer who sold the paintings to her.  The collection was at one time exhibited at the Bangko Sentrale museum.  Probably still there, so you be the judge on authenticity.  The look reminds me of the fake Salvador Dali paintings sold to the unsuspecting, except the Botticelli's must have costed her tens of millions.  

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

It's true Jack. My wife and her extended family have nothing but good things to say about Marcos Sr.

Go figure. :wink:

I guess it varies from family to family. My wife's grandmother had nothing good to say about the reign. Seems one of her family members disappeared after complaining about the coco levy tax theft.