Latest family fight.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Perhaps more of the desperation than the greed for many here.

I disagree. I see greed more than desperation. Please me show me examples and comparisons of greed vs. desparation?

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

I disagree. I see greed more than desperation. Please me show me examples and comparisons of greed vs. desparation?

You can disagree all you like, my friend. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You can disagree all you like, my friend. 

Yes I can... And no, I am not your friend.

So show me, please, your examples of greed vs. desperation... I am waiting...

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Agreed. And I did minor in sociology way back when the earth was still cooling.

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I think it is a combination of both desperation and greed ( 'desperation' in specific social classes of course), 

Totally. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I wanted to clarify for myself the difference between desperation and greed so looked up the definitions.

desperation - a state of despair, typically one which results in rash or extreme behavior.

greed - intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food.

My wife and I do a lot of work with youth.  I expect a lot of their thoughts, desires, angst, etc follow them into adulthood.  Based on that experience I would tend to lean toward the desperation as the primary cause.   We find that many, perhaps most, youth have a desire for a better life, better meaning a family and nice house, job, maybe a car, or a life as an OFW.  Underlying that desire is a bit of darkness that says "Maybe I am only dreaming, I am doomed to this life of poverty.  What I have now is all it will ever be."   Unfortunately that future of poverty is many of these youth will ultimately live.  My wife and I try to help youth break that cycle of poverty by providing mentoring, life lessons, and scholarships.  BTW I have not observed selfish desire in any of the youth we mentor.  Not saying selfish behavior doesn't exist in youth, I have just not seen it.

So I would say the primary cause is desperation for that are poor.  Greed for those who are well to do and willing to climb over others to further enrich themselves.

My opinions of course.

Mike, I think you may have explained the problems precisely. But then I see this discussion coming back to other topics, like education. That system is so antiquated, or neglected here that the youngsters mostly have little chance to improve their lives...

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Mike, I think you may have explained the problems precisely. But then I see this discussion coming back to other topics, like education. That system is so antiquated, or neglected here that the youngsters mostly have little chance to improve their lives...

True and very sad indeed.