Latest family fight.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

So I would say the primary cause is desperation for that are poor.  Greed for those who are well to do and willing to climb over others to further enrich themselves.

My opinions of course.

As with craftbeerlover, you are correct.   

I remain surprised that others see it differently. :popcorn:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

As with craftbeerlover, you are correct.   

I remain surprised that others see it differently. :popcorn:

To a certain extent for me.   The wealthy the reason is obvious, however, I do see greed at all social classes.  What is driving this greed is open for debate, but it for sure is not as black and white as just greed or desperation.  Bottom line, greed is woven into the fabric here.  I have seen it tear families apart (not wealthy families), tandem motorcycle killings happen so often I am astounded, the list goes on.  As somebody else stated, the root causes are a laundry list, and then some.   Fear, no hope, inferiority complexes, education, self worth etc... OR just plain greed or desperation.  Its a fricken mess

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

To a certain extent for me.   The wealthy the reason is obvious, however, I do see greed at all social classes.  What is driving this greed is open for debate, but it for sure is not as black and white as just greed or desperation.  Bottom line, greed is woven into the fabric here.  I have seen it tear families apart (not wealthy families), tandem motorcycle killings happen so often I am astounded, the list goes on.  As somebody else stated, the root causes are a laundry list, and then some.   Fear, no hope, inferiority complexes, education, self worth etc... OR just plain greed or desperation.  Its a fricken mess

Right - the idea that every action and person can be conveniently boxed into one or the other just doesn't ring true.  Some of the poorest will do something out of greed and some of the wealthiest out of desperation. 

It's very complex.  Take the scenario of the kid who hasn't eaten all day and steals an apple from the market stall, then another.  Is the 1st act out of desperation and the 2nd greed?  On a simplistic basis, yes.  But isn't it fair to say the poor kid was simply getting what he could when he could as who knows what tomorrow will bring?  

I have maybe invested more time in this topic than I should but simply reel against the idea that in a country where whole swathes of the population don't have enough to get by comfortably on a daily basis (for whatever reason) there are no acts of desperation, only greed.  

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Right - the idea that every action and person can be conveniently boxed into one or the other just doesn't ring true.  Some of the poorest will do something out of greed and some of the wealthiest out of desperation. 

It's very complex.  Take the scenario of the kid who hasn't eaten all day and steals an apple from the market stall, then another.  Is the 1st act out of desperation and the 2nd greed?  On a simplistic basis, yes.  But isn't it fair to say the poor kid was simply getting what he could when he could as who knows what tomorrow will bring?  

I have maybe invested more time in this topic than I should but simply reel against the idea that in a country where whole swathes of the population don't have enough to get by comfortably on a daily basis (for whatever reason) there are no acts of desperation, only greed.  

I couldnt agree more!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1