Asking price and what you actually pay for House/Lot

"P2"
Posted
Posted

The Mrs. and I are thinking about purchasing some property to maybe build a house on one day in the future OR if the price is right maybe buy an existing house. When conducting our search, we are noticing that the asking price for either property or a house on land seems to be really high (for the Philippines). Is this because they deliberately set the price high because they know that only foreigners are really the only ones who can afford it or is that price legit? I've seen some pretty outrages prices on land/house and was wondering is there a lot of wiggle room with the pricing or are they typically firm on the pricing, because I have seen some property that has been on the market for years. One property/house that we have looked at on Bohol has been on the market for over 3 years. We actually spoke to the owner (Filipina & a Swiss husband) and they seem pretty firm on their price. I'm thinking to myself that is probably the reason no one is buying it because the house/land is not worth it. They claimed that a lot of people have come by to see the house but no offers. They claim that the annual real estate tax they pay is 4000 pesos which tells me a lot about the actual price of the house and lot. Can any of you "enlighten" me on how negotiable real estate/house property is there? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wanted to just say that I agree whole-heartedly with all the comments above.

There is a huge degree of greed here in the P.I. It is amazing. Cars, motorcycles, real estate... all of it is subject to extreme greed for those who own and are selling. I saw it  when buying a car and also when L and I were were buying some land. I guess that so long as someone believes he or she can get outrageous payment for something, they will hold out for it...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

There is a large detachment from reality in pricing land here. Example: There is a 80m2 lot in a lower middle class subdivision for sale near where I live. My wife looked into it as we are looking to build an apartment or two. The price? Only 7500/m2 she was told. Been for sale for over 2 years. Just roughly calculating that's over $50,000/acre.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I have given up trying to explain to those around me that the selling price of our units new is not the same as for our units due to depreciation.  Now, if supply was limited it may work but it isn't.

Many folk here are simply naive when it comes to pricing stuff.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Back in 2016 I paid p250 per m2 for our 600 m2 lot, which is roadside, and has all 'mains' services. 

A variety of stores, plus the local Elementary and High School are 200 yards up the road.

I have had a house built on it...little by little, now having two storeys and 9 rooms, all within a high perimeter wall (though most people are friendly and related to us around these parts. lol). It's more to keep animals out.

The Mrs tells me that similar lots near to us are going for at least 4 or 5 times the price. Anyway, we're happy with what we have, and it's bought and paid for. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 5

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Sometimes the biggest problem in "price" is how much it cost to get all the people who have a stake in ownership to sign off.  With the way Philippine law is written there are often brothers and sisters (and sometimes more) who have no vested interest in the house/property other than they can get a cash out when it's sold.  They don't live in it, never will, but.... the law says they own a piece.  Bypassing them in the process results in more legal fees over the title.

Buyer beware !

• Like 3