Srrv best one for us

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, max 123 said:

Thanks Mike 

I must have read it wrong as it stated on SRRV that as a couple must have a pension of I think $1400 USD per month my wife's pension is $954 USD per month also it looks like we have to visit the Philippines embassy in London with passports and marriage and birth certificates to get them authentication or can we do it all in the Philippines.

Your wife would need a pension of 1000 per month to cover both herself and you as a dependent.  While she is a bit short now at 954,perhaps it will be increased due to cost of living increase?  A guess on my part as I am not familiar with UK pensions.  The important point is that you and your wife DO NOT each need to apply and receive the visa.  A single visa will cover the applicant and a dependent.  In your case the dependent is a spouse.  Okay? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, max 123 said:

Thanks Mike 

I must have read it wrong as it stated on SRRV that as a couple must have a pension of I think $1400 USD per month my wife's pension is $954 USD per month also it looks like we have to visit the Philippines embassy in London with passports and marriage and birth certificates to get them authentication or can we do it all in the Philippines.

I may be wrong but if you cannot meet the monthly income requirement I believe it was possible to increase the deposit. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, max 123 said:

my wife's pension is $954 USD per month

Max, I hate to Mr. Downer here and I do not know much about the SRRV visa, but I do know the Philippines. We do not really want to get into your personal details to much, but unless you and your wife have a sizable nest egg, or have some type of employment lined up here or work online, I am concerned about your monthly income. $954 USD a month is basically the average monthly income of the average Filipino. The cost of living here is less than what you are used to, but not by THAT much.

You can move here on a tourist visa without a large downpayment, but I believe you need to have a look at your monthly expenditures and see if life here will meet your expectations.

I just know there is no way I would live here on 1k USD a month.

just my 2 pesos, good luck.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Max, I hate to Mr. Downer here and I do not know much about the SRRV visa, but I do know the Philippines. We do not really want to get into your personal details to much, but unless you and your wife have a sizable nest egg, or have some type of employment lined up here or work online, I am concerned about your monthly income. $954 USD a month is basically the average monthly income of the average Filipino. The cost of living here is less than what you are used to, but not by THAT much.

You can move here on a tourist visa without a large downpayment, but I believe you need to have a look at your monthly expenditures and see if life here will meet your expectations.

Very much agree with Scott.  Also you should have sufficient funds for emergencies and/or repatriation if for some reason you want to move back to UK.  Many people move to live/retire and find they cannot adjust to life here.  Philippines is the kind of a place that you will enjoy or dislike.  You need to visit for a few months to see if it really where you want to retire.  Especially important to consider is health care.   The Philippine health care system pretty much demands cash/credit or insurance prior to treatment.  It has been decades since "you can live like a king" on $1000 per month,

Scott and I are not trying to rain or your parade, we want to make sure you are aware of all that is involved in moving/living here.  Many blogs will paint a wonderful, carefree, inexpensive, etc. life in the Philippine.  This forum prides itself on offering "real" advice.  

Edited by Mike J
spelling
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Very much agree with Scott.  Also you should have sufficient funds for emergencies and/or repatriation if for some reason you want to move back to UK.  Many people move to live/retire and find they cannot adjust to life here.  Philippines is the kind of a place that you will enjoy or dislike.  You need to visit for a few months to see if it really where you want to retire.  Especially important to consider is health care.   The Philippine health care system pretty much demands cash/credit or insurance prior to treatment.  It has been decades since "you can live like a king" on $1000 per month,

Scott and I are not trying to rain or your parade, we want to make sure you are aware of all that is involved in moving/living here.  Many blogs will paint a wonderful, carefree, inexpensive, etc. life in the Philippine.  This forum prides itself on offering "real" advice.  

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with all of that, IF the poster is planning to live off $1,000 anywhere then it's probably as doable here as anywhere.

That said, the nest egg for emergencies is critical. 

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

$954 USD a month is basically the average monthly income of the average Filipino

Not that I really disagree with any of what you are all stating but, out in the provinces, away from Manila or Cebu, and maybe a couple other locations, most filipinos do not average 50,000 pesos a year, not even close.   A couple could easily live in many places in the Philippines on 50k a month.  As somebody stated, they wouldnt do it, and neither would I, but it can be done, and it can be done very easily. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

most filipinos

my point.jpg

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, scott h said:

I am concerned about your monthly income. $954 USD a month is basically the average monthly income of the average Filipino.

I am confused then.  What is the point of this sentence?    Also, there is no way in hell that the average monthly income in the Philippines over 50k a month.   Average salary in "Manila" is only 36k a month.  

Manila, Philippines Jobs by Salary

The average salary in Manila is ₱440k. Trends in wages decreased by -100.0 percent in Q1 2024. The cost of living in Manila is NaN percent lower than the national average. The most popular occupations in Manila are Software Engineer, Operations Manager, and Human Resources (HR) Manager which pay between ₱42k and ₱2m per year. The most popular employers in Manila are Accenture, Transcom International Inc, and San Miguel Corporation.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

I am confused then

Quite simple, I googled it, divided by 50 peso/dollar and that's what I got. If you googled it and got different data, thats all well and good.

But don't get to wrapped around the axle with numbers. The biggest point I was expressing that few expats would enjoy living on under 1k USD a year. Filipinos? Yes. Expats? Not in my opinion. Which is just that, my opinion.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, scott h said:

Quite simple, I googled it, divided by 50 peso/dollar and that's what I got. If you googled it and got different data, thats all well and good.

But don't get to wrapped around the axle with numbers. The biggest point I was expressing that few expats would enjoy living on under 1k USD a year. Filipinos? Yes. Expats? Not in my opinion. Which is just that, my opinion.:thumbsup:

Totally agree with that.  But what I have learned/observed over the last almost 13 years is, there are many expats here that are willing to live "less comfortably" than what I am willing to do.  I actually applaud them, I wish I was a little more like my brother in that regard.  Raising a child here does have a lot to do with it

• Like 3