Srrv best one for us

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

50k a month when you own your house or condo is easy when you're not in a big city.

We spend 20k per month on grocery, 2k on Internet, 4k on electric, 1k on gasoline, 5k on eating out, 5k on sundries, 2k on medicines and bank 10k a month.

Self insure with emergency fund for medical emergencies.

Yeah it is very doable.   There are still small houses in the Philippines that you can rent for about 5 - 8k a month.  There is only two of them, so they do not need anything big. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, GeoffH said:

50k a month when you own your house or condo is easy when you're not in a big city.

Echo this from personal experience. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also agree, but I think our life style become more accustomed to Philippine food, beverage, entertainment, travel, etc.  50K is reasonable as long as you have a large reserve for emergency medical and/or exit plan.  Without that reserve 50K a month is a time bomb waiting to go off.  Of course that is true for pretty much any monthly income.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

life style

The above is the determining factor. We have no idea what the OP expects of life upon relocating. That is why, as has been mentioned, it is so important to do the ole, "boots on the ground"

As an editorial note, most if not all of us have Filipina spouses to help navigate the more uhummmm nefarious side of living in the Philippines, whereas the OP and his wife will be relying upon his daughter in law and her family, and all of us are familiar with "family dynamics" here :whistling:.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

The above is the determining factor. We have no idea what the OP expects of life upon relocating. That is why, as has been mentioned, it is so important to do the ole, "boots on the ground"

As an editorial note, most if not all of us have Filipina spouses to help navigate the more uhummmm nefarious side of living in the Philippines, whereas the OP and his wife will be relying upon his daughter in law and her family, and all of us are familiar with "family dynamics" here :whistling:.

Not that it's any business of mine (when did that ever stop me or anyone else :whistling:) but I wonder where the son fits into the equation? I would be less concerned about family dynamics if the son was involved.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not that it's any business of mine (when did that ever stop me or anyone else :whistling:) but I wonder where the son fits into the equation? I would be less concerned about family dynamics if the son was involved.  

Want to be close to his son as well as have lower cost of living? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2024 at 9:35 PM, max 123 said:

Hi Scott 

Thank you for replying sorry should have said we have a place to stay in Philippines my daughter in law house until we can move into our own place.

7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Want to be close to his son as well as have lower cost of living? 

Right - which is why I wonder why he said he had a place to stay at his 'daughter-in-law house' rather than son's house as per his original message?