BEER

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Have had that as well.  Thought it was really tasty!   Its relatively easy to get some German beers here, however, that is where it ends.   Impossible to get a good stout, brown ale, scotch ale etc...Local craft beers are, for the most part, IPAs, Pale Ales, fruit beers, IPAs and IPAs

Agree mostly although my favourite scotch is Glenfiddich although one must dig deep....18 year old only.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Agree mostly although my favourite scotch is Glenfiddich although one must dig deep....18 year old only.

Scotch Ale the beer :)  Its a heavy, high alcohol, malty beer.   Mighty tasty

"The Scotch Ale is overwhelmingly malty, with a rich and dominant sweet malt flavor and aroma. A caramel character is often part of the profile. Some examples feature a light smoked peat flavor. This style could be considered the Scottish version of an English-Style Barleywine."

Scotch ale originated in Edinburgh, Scotland, during the 1800s. Born in the United Kingdom, a region unsuited for highlighting hops, the Scotch ale focuses instead on a more readily available ingredient: malt.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, RBM said:

Have you tried Lafavulin?  Lots and lots of peat smoke!  You will either like it or not,  Neat with a small splash of water.  About same price as your favorite.  If you want to try a great blend, try Johnnie Walker XR.  A blend of scotch each of which is 21 years or older.  This is a GREAT blended scotch in my opinion.  

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Used drink these when I lived in Germany....

image.jpegWe called them "Terminators" back then as they were 6.9 abv.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/17/2024 at 3:24 AM, Erik said:

Classic, they have good commercials, Freddy.

I used to drink bottled Heineken in the U.S. when I was young.  There were not many imported beers back then.  When I took my first trip to Amsterdam in the 90's, I had fresh Heineken for the first time.  What a difference!  I have only had a few bottled Heineken since then.  Similar for other beers that have been sitting to long, but Heineken seems extreme in the U.S.

Paulaner was my go to everyday beer when I lived in Germany.  Usually Weissbier.  I can get it here in Subic Freeport, but it does not thrill me as much.  Might also be the lack of freshness.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I used to drink bottled Heineken in the U.S. when I was young.  There were not many imported beers back then.  When I took my first trip to Amsterdam in the 90's, I had fresh Heineken for the first time.  What a difference!  I have only had a few bottled Heineken since then.  Similar for other beers that have been sitting to long, but Heineken seems extreme in the U.S.

Paulaner was my go to everyday beer when I lived in Germany.  Usually Weissbier.  I can get it here in Subic Freeport, but it does not thrill me as much.  Might also be the lack of freshness.

When I was living in Hong Kong draught Heineken was not available in all bars but luckily was available in mine.  The difference between bottled and draught is pretty big - I have had the bottled version here a few times and don't think it's worth the premium price.  I tried the Silver one a few months ago and was not a fan at all.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I went to school in Germany for 1 semester. Of course I spent a lot of time checking out various venues for food and beer. My favourite beer was the local draft beer. At that time - early 70's - virtually every burg or village had a brewery and each beer was different, but all were very good.

I like Paulaner also. I also had Heineken in Amsterdam and I agree, it is remarkably better there than in bottles overseas.

I did discover that some IPA brews in the Seattle area were excellent last time I was there - 9 years ago? There is such a choice of micro-brewery or "craft" beers in USA that it is mind boggling. When last time there I visited an old, favourite watering hole, they had at least 10 local brews on tap. I sampled several after telling them my taste preferences and finally settled on one, whose name long escapes me. But all were good.

I went shopping a few days ago at an NCCC and noticed that they had Budweiser 16 oz cans... Yuck!

But they also carried my new favourite quench - Lemon Dou, Devil Lemon. I enjoy the sharp, lemon flavour and the 9% alcohol kick is enjoyable too.

Edited by Tommy T.
Corrected spelling
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since we are sharing experiences, I will share this one:

The best beer I ever had was in 1972 in then Soviet occupied Prague, Czechoslovakia. A buddy and I were wandering around looking for a bar to get a beer. We came across a small tavern and entered. Inside they were playing Jimi Hendrix on a small tape player and they poured the local beer into our glass mugs from ceramic pitchers. Perhaps it was the environment or the exuberance of youth, but damn! that was great Pilsen!!! We proceeded to get drunk, met up with some friends and then stole some flags from flagpoles in the city central square sometime after midnight, including the Czech national flag and a Soviet hammer and sickle flag. Ah, the vagaries and stupidity of youth! We almost got caught when the border guards searched our tour bus on our way out of the country! But they didn't find them rolled up in our bedding rolls....shit!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Since we are sharing experiences, I will share this one:

The best beer I ever had was in 1972 in then Soviet occupied Prague, Czechoslovakia. A buddy and I were wandering around looking for a bar to get a beer. We came across a small tavern and entered. Inside they were playing Jimi Hendrix on a small tape player and they poured the local beer into our glass mugs from ceramic pitchers. Perhaps it was the environment or the exuberance of youth, but damn! that was great Pilsen!!! We proceeded to get drunk, met up with some friends and then stole some flags from flagpoles in the city central square sometime after midnight, including the Czech national flag and a Soviet hammer and sickle flag. Ah, the vagaries and stupidity of youth! We almost got caught when the border guards searched our tour bus on our way out of the country! But they didn't find them rolled up in our bedding rolls....shit!

Like many of you I am sure, I have more beer stories than I could possibly ever share, and many that I could never remember.   Growing up in the 70s in New England, anytime we could get a hold of a Canadian beer, was a big deal.  No craft beers, never heard of an IPA, no real mention of any imports other than Heineken.   Moosehead, Labatts, Brador and Molson were beers we thought special at the time.   The best beer I ever had, similar to Tommys story, is moment dependent.   I had gone hiking with my son and on the way home stopped to get a bite to eat, we were both tired, sweaty etc.  I ordered, I think it was a St Pauli Girl, not the greatest beer in the world, but at that time it was the best beer I had ever had;  It was cold, wet and really refreshing, funny how vividly I remember that beer.   I love all the German beers, Russian imperial stouts, love the craft beer boom in the US, but beer for beer I think the best beer in the world is brewed in Belgium!  Having said all of that, the best beer I have ever had is brewed in England, it was an aged Thomas Hardy Ale, by far the most flavorful/complex beer i've ever introduced to my palate and gut. 

Edited by craftbeerlover
  • Like 1