BEER

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

What IPA's do you all like made in Philippines? And where do you find them?

Here in Washington State we have some amazing IPA's. I'm like Possum, only drink a few beers once a month or so.

What @Old55 has written was totally vague.  :hystery:

Google is my friend.  For forum members, who are just as ignorant as myself, I offer this explanation of IPA beers :thumbsup:

<snip>IPA: what does it mean?
IPA is an acronym and should be pronounced as I-P-A. The three letters stand for India Pale Ale, which is the full name of the style. Each word needs an explanation. So, let’s start from... the end. Ale is a synonym for top fermented beer, a type of beer that traditional British breweries have always been experts in. In the United Kingdom, the term Ale also indicates the classic beers of the past, still made by many small independent brewers. Pale can be literally interpreted as “light colored”: Pale Ales started to appear in the 18th century thanks to the innovations introduced in the malting process and took their name because their amber color set them apart from the dark beers that dominated the market at the time. Pale Ales became increasingly popular, replacing Porters and becoming the typical everyday beers in the second half of the 19th century.<end snip>

source https://www.baladin.it/en/blog/what-does-ipa-mean-lets-find-out-its-meaning#:~:text=IPA is an acronym and,have always been experts in.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Who here such as our own family has brewed their own beer, type, ABV & quantities?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Who here such as our own family has brewed their own beer, type, ABV & quantities?

I used to brew beer aboard my yacht. It was great because I could be in the most isolated places on earth (Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, isolated atolls) and brew tasty beer. I used Coopers brand kits for the malt and made different varieties including ale, dark, Pilsen among others. Alcohol was around 5-6%. I made only 5 gallons at a time (standard carboy size) and bottled at first in glass bottles (which exploded when I added fining sugar too soon...whoops!) then plastic Coke bottles - usually 1 liter each. I was very popular in some of those isolated anchorages because I always had fresh, cold beer!

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not invited, but I will add some comments about beers that I really enjoyed.

In Kiwiland, my ex and I discovered that virtually every medium or larger town brewed their own beer. As we travelled around the country, we found that, at the back of most smaller grocery stores, two or three (more or less) beer taps were in evidence. So I would ask about the beers, and the proprietor poured me a generous sample of each brew. They were outstanding! So I would buy a flagon (2 liter plastic bottle) of one or more of their beers and would then stow it in our cooler. The beer always had pride of place relative to foods... And - as promised by the vendors - it would stay fresh and carbonated, so long as it was kept cold. I enjoyed a lot of these beers days after purchase with no degradation of taste or quality.

In Oz, my favourite quaff was Cascade Lager, which I discovered when visiting Taswegia (local name for Tasmania). Sorry, but the XXXX didn't make it for me. However, on a trip to the Outback with Ozzie mates, we stopped at a Pub and my mates whispered quietly in my ear to just order XXXX because that was what the locals were drinking. He said to do so as to not cause a fight!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

spaul
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been wanting to brew beer here but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Just no suppliers I can find. Back home I'd just buy the can of syrup.  Belgium blonde's or Canadian Ale's. Usually came out about 3%-5% then transferred into plastic 500ml bottles. That brewed two, two fours (that's Canadian lingo for 48 bottles)

Now that I'm here, I'm just about to put my Mead (honey wine) to the test. I picked up a bottle of honey at Pure Gold grocery store, bought one of those blue water containers with a spout at the bottom and when I was visiting in Canada a few months ago, I picked up some white wine yeast and a few air locks. So I'm going to see how this works out in a tropical climate. Not sure if the Vikings ever made it this far south :89:

Edited by spaul

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, spaul said:

I've been wanting to brew beer here but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Just no suppliers I can find.

You should be able to find everything you need online nowadays.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, spaul said:

I've been wanting to brew beer here but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Just no suppliers I can find. Back home I'd just buy the can of syrup.  Belgium blonde's or Canadian Ale's. Usually came out about 3%-5% then transferred into plastic 500ml bottles. That brewed two, two fours (that's Canadian lingo for 48 bottles)

Now that I'm here, I'm just about to put my Mead (honey wine) to the test. I picked up a bottle of honey at Pure Gold grocery store, bought one of those blue water containers with a spout at the bottom and when I was visiting in Canada a few months ago, I picked up some white wine yeast and a few air locks. So I'm going to see how this works out in a tropical climate. Not sure if the Vikings ever made it this far south :89:

I know there were/are suppliers in Manila/Paranaque.   I was thinking about starting up again, then life just seemed to get in the way.  

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I was thinking about starting up again, then life just seemed to get in the way.

Nothing should get in the way of Beer!:cheers:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Nothing should get in the way of Beer!:cheers:

You mean kinda like image.jpeg

• Haha 1