Electricity Cost

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Your and others' comments are steering me rapidly toward biting the bullet and proceeding with a solar array, batteries and transformer/surge protector. If I remember correctly, a contractor guy came out to the house and quoted me something like 350k for a system here. That would cover multiple air/cons at night and everything else, for two days - much more than we would need for back-up. But I like the idea of reducing the monthly bills from 4-5k down to zero or just a few pesos...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Your and others' comments are steering me rapidly toward biting the bullet and proceeding with a solar array, batteries and transformer/surge protector. If I remember correctly, a contractor guy came out to the house and quoted me something like 350k for a system here. That would cover multiple air/cons at night and everything else, for two days - much more than we would need for back-up. But I like the idea of reducing the monthly bills from 4-5k down to zero or just a few pesos...

You would need some serious battery backup to go two days with multiple aircon.  350K would be a bargain if what he describes was accurate.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You would need some serious battery backup to go two days with multiple aircon.  350K would be a bargain if what he describes was accurate.

Yes, you are correct. However, my idea was that the batteries were more for emergency back-up than regular use. Although they could be used, I think, if we are only using the one air/con in the bedroom. The others are all optional, including the big one in the living room. Everything else is mostly light load except washing machine, zip water heater and shower water heaters. Any of these could just be timed for daylight use. Anyway, I am still pondering. If I do buy a system, I will be sure to get more battery back-up than I think I may require...that's just the way I am.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes, you are correct. However, my idea was that the batteries were more for emergency back-up than regular use. Although they could be used, I think, if we are only using the one air/con in the bedroom. The others are all optional, including the big one in the living room. Everything else is mostly light load except washing machine, zip water heater and shower water heaters. Any of these could just be timed for daylight use. Anyway, I am still pondering. If I do buy a system, I will be sure to get more battery back-up than I think I may require...that's just the way I am.

Be sure and get quality components. Panels, inverter, breakers etc. Sometimes the lowest bid turns out to be costly. I researched using on line forums. The Whirlpool solar forum out of Australia was helpful as they had access to the same supplies as we do in Philippines therefore their reviews were informative. There are other resources too. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Possum said:

Be sure and get quality components. Panels, inverter, breakers etc. Sometimes the lowest bid turns out to be costly. I researched using on line forums. The Whirlpool solar forum out of Australia was helpful as they had access to the same supplies as we do in Philippines therefore their reviews were informative. There are other resources too. Good luck.

Also, critical to ensure whatever system you buy you can get spares relatively easily. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Also, critical to ensure whatever system you buy you can get spares relatively easily. 

Very good point. Thanks for the reminder.