Subic Bay Freeport and Olongapo, Flooding Again!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It is very bad!  This is the main drag, Rizal Ave. Olongapo.

452527177_8611640552183795_4019929347778867416_n.jpg

Yet not so long ago we were all  moaning about the Heat and NO rain:whistling:what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yet not so long ago we were all  moaning about the Heat and NO rain:whistling:what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

I thought it was only us Brits who complained about the weather. :boohoo:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

When I copied this from an Olongapo FB group, I had no idea how bad the flooding was getting, especially in Manila.  Prayers for all impacted and hope it dries out soon.

Here in Olongapo it was knee deep or a bit more in some places, but the people cope up.  When it is neck deep, like some areas of Manila, that in entirely different and dangerous situation.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

but the people cope

With 7000 plus islands it is impossible for anyone of us to say how things are except in our own small areas. 

But in my area, things have improved. 12 years ago during heavy rains the floods came to midthigh, yesterday it was only mid calve, and drained quickly. The drainage systems have been improved quite a bit. The problem isnt so much the infrastructure it is just the amount of water in such a short period of time. You would need gutter the size of the Grand Canyon to deal with it :hystery:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We are in Seoul waiting on our flight to NAIA. Departure is being delayed at least an hour.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

We are in Seoul waiting on our flight to NAIA. Departure is being delayed at least an hour.

I saw a picture of NAIA with a lot of water on the tarmac areas.  That was yesterday so hopefully better conditions today.  Have a safe flight!  Here in Subic we are still getting heavy downpours but they are intermittent.  Yesterday it was solid downpour for several hours.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I saw a picture of NAIA with a lot of water on the tarmac areas.  That was yesterday so hopefully better conditions today.  Have a safe flight!  Here in Subic we are still getting heavy downpours but they are intermittent.  Yesterday it was solid downpour for several hours.

Thanks for the update. Our AirBnB in Pasig is fine. Might have problem getting there ftom NAIA. Flight leaving  Seoul still delayed.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

My main concern would be with waterborne diseases, such as leptosprosis. This illness is insidious and can infect anyone with open wounds on feet. You don't even know you get it until it is almost too late to deal with it. Be careful!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

My main concern would be with waterborne diseases, such as leptosprosis. This illness is insidious and can infect anyone with open wounds on feet. You don't even know you get it until it is almost too late to deal with it. Be careful!

Yes, nasty stuff.  When I first got here in 2013, an expat buddy got it a few years before.  I keep out of the water and would not venture into wading unless, of course, their was a true emergency.

Where I live on the hill we only have rushing water that probably is relatively clean, so I don't worry about getting my feet in it.  Down in Olongapo is where the filthy flood water is, and it should be avoided at all cost.  Some people have no other choice but to brave it.

This is a school in Olongapo.  It would take a long time to properly sanitize the rooms.  I'm sure they will get it opened up in a few days.

452585214_10159704076666184_2363737981538414394_n.jpg

452740526_10159704076801184_8304212566464859032_n.jpg