Foreign POGO workers given 60 days to leave the Philippines

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I was under the impression POGOS had until the end of the year to close down but it appears immigration has other ideas. 

24 July 2024 

ALL POGO WORKERS TO LEAVE–BI 

MANILA, Philippines—Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Norman Tansingco said that all workers of Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) and Internet Gaming Licensees (IGLs) will be required to leave the country in 60 days. 

The move comes after the directive of President Ferdinand “Bong Bong” Romualdez Marcos, Jr. to ban all POGOs during his third State of the Nation Address last July 22. 

President Marcos said during his speech that the illegal activities related to POGOs must stop. 

“Disguising as legitimate entities, their operations have ventured into illicit areas furthest from gaming such as financial scamming, money laundering, prostitution, human trafficking, kidnapping, brutal torture, even murder,” he stated. 

Tansingco said foreign nationals who worked with POGOs and IGLs, as well as its related service providers will be given 59 days to wind down their affairs and leave the country. 

He said that they are expecting around 20,000 foreign workers in the said industry to leave the country in the next two months. 

Tansingco added that pending applications and new applications for visas for POGO and IGL workers will be denied by the BI

The BI Chief said that they have a list of foreigners working in POGOs and IGLs, which were acquired from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR). 

He warned that violators will be subjected to deportation proceedings, and stated that he has instructed their intelligence division and fugitive search unit to intensify arrests against violators and illegal online gaming hubs. 

The agency has deported more than 2,300 workers in scam hubs operating in the guise of gaming companies in the Philippines. # 

#BagongPilipinas 
#BureauofImmigration 
#ProtectPHBorders 
#publicservice

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Good ! 

Throw out the trash.

Some 'beneficiaries' will not be happy, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

POGOS had until the end of the year

Those in power have the bit in their teeth now and they are all grabbing what headlines they can. Plus this is a sop to Pinoy pride, they are getting their butts kicked in the South China sea and now they will be able to say "Look how tough we are!" (even though China has been asking for years to shut down the POGO's)

7 hours ago, graham59 said:

Throw out the trash

The poor hapless 20 something worker bees with dutifully troop to the airport and board a flight home. The "trash" will go underground and have to be hunted down like roaches.

Here is a prediction. We will be reading for the next 5 years about "criminal aliens" being caught, detained and deported.

karson.png

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

I predict POGOs will disappear at the same rate as the brake less, loud smoke belching jeepneys.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nothing more than another money grab. The bad actors will pay to stay as PNP, BI and numerous officials benefit. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, scott h said:

Those in power have the bit in their teeth now and they are all grabbing what headlines they can. Plus this is a sop to Pinoy pride, they are getting their butts kicked in the South China sea and now they will be able to say "Look how tough we are!" (even though China has been asking for years to shut down the POGO's)

The poor hapless 20 something worker bees with dutifully troop to the airport and board a flight home. The "trash" will go underground and have to be hunted down like roaches.

Here is a prediction. We will be reading for the next 5 years about "criminal aliens" being caught, detained and deported.

karson.png

Correct. The good guys will leave the bad guys will just up their game. They're probably not even here on working visas anyway. ( My personal opinion.) 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

bad guys will just up their game

Just a fun fact Snowy. I watch a lot of Korean Dramas on Netflix. When the organized crime bosses are about to be arrested, or a bad guy wants to disappear from the cops, they always take a flight to the Philippines, on one show a crime boss actually said. "I am going to my condo on Boracay for a while!" So much for the international reputation of the Philippines. :hystery:

Being a Scot, you might not get the entirety of the joke. But in US movies when criminals are on the run they head to Mexico which is traditionally weak in law enforcement.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2024 at 4:45 AM, scott h said:

Just a fun fact Snowy. I watch a lot of Korean Dramas on Netflix. When the organized crime bosses are about to be arrested, or a bad guy wants to disappear from the cops, they always take a flight to the Philippines, on one show a crime boss actually said. "I am going to my condo on Boracay for a while!" So much for the international reputation of the Philippines. :hystery:

Being a Scot, you might not get the entirety of the joke. But in US movies when criminals are on the run they head to Mexico which is traditionally weak in law enforcement.

I think it's just for show. If the government think the dodgy pogo operations will just close shop and jump on a plane in the next couple of months then they're as stupid as I think they are. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I think it's just for show. If the government think the dodgy pogo operations will just close shop and jump on a plane in the next couple of months then they're as stupid as I think they are. 😉

I agree. The president may proclaim anything but it is up to the LGUs [local government units] to enforce anything. Good luck with that. I think they should be called Independent Government Units as they decide what national laws to enforce. The Philippines for all practical purposes is not a state or nation as most of us have experience with but a large group of neighborhoods, villages, cities and provinces which are run by their own very local dynasties that pick and choose which national laws they enforce. Been that way for many years. I'm kinda used to it, low expectations are a key to happy life here.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1