3 or 4 wheel ebike

Imaginos
Posted
Posted

The wife is wanting one of these to drive around the (gated)community, transit to school, and maybe a bit of shopping. Anyone use/own one? I have no idea what to look for and which brands are quality.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are a few around here, the problem is they're really slow (about the same speed as a pedal tricycle) and people drive them on baranguay roads where cars and trucks are going lots faster.  

Even when riding a motorbike they cause delays because most users drive them like a car in the middle of the lane, so you have to wait for clear oncoming traffic before overtaking. 

Edited by GeoffH

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

There are a few around here, the problem is they're really slow (about the same speed as a pedal tricycle) and people drive then on baranguay roads where cars and trucks are going lots faster.  

Even when riding a motorbike they cause delays because most users drive them like a car in the middle of the lane, so you have to wait for clear oncoming traffic before overtaking. 

I have no idea why they continue to be allowed to drive on major roads given the numerous hazards they create. 

They are unsafe and mostly driven by oldies and women - statistically responsible for the vast majority of road accidents. 

NB - I may have made that last bit up but still...:hystery:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Imaginos said:

If you get one, get the 4 wheeled variety. I have seen countless 3 wheelers on their side. capsized while trying to avoid a collision or turning to fast. NWOW seems to be the most popular brand and widespread right now. IMHO if you are just going to putter around the subdivision you will be fine. If you plane to use it as a primary source of transportation, be warned. These things are becoming so unpopular they are being banned on national road, they are being required to be registered at the LTO and a driver's license required to operate. Almost a day doesn't go by that I see these things being impounded for driving on main roads, being driven by minors or by adults without a license.

(at least in my area)

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wanted a small electric vehicle for driving around Moalboal which is 90 percent of our driving.  The NWOW was a serious consideration for me but I did not buy one because the literature says the maximum slope is 8 degrees.  We have a very short stretch of road just prior to the house that is at least 20 degrees.  Otherwise I would have bought one.  Also I agree with @scott h, do not buy a three wheeler.  They are inherently unstable when turning at even moderate speeds.

image.png

Edited by Mike J
Grammar
  • Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Imaginos said:

We owned a 3 wheeler and now a 4 wheeler, the 4 wheeler Golf by far is the better, more stable a lot more room, we got a canopy made for the wet weather and it would be ideal for what you want. And yes they can be a pain in the arse, but there handy, no waiting for trykes or jeepies. NWOW seems to be the brand, ours cost less than 90 k and we are happy with it. Don’t worry about the knocker’s keep going with your plan, just teach whom ever is driving it the road rules.

• Like 1

Imaginos
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the input. We were already aware of the rule changes current and coming regarding which roads they're usable on and whether a license/LTO registration is necessary. 4 wheel is the way to go for us as she doesn't even drive a scooter. I've driven motorcycles for 50 years so it wouldn't matter to me. She'll only be using it in the gated community. If we do take it outside that, I'll be driving.

I'll look into NWOW first. I had seen them on the net but there's lots of different ones on the net. Thankfully a few here mentioned it so it's a good starting place.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Imaginos said:

Thanks for all the input. We were already aware of the rule changes current and coming regarding which roads they're usable on and whether a license/LTO registration is necessary. 4 wheel is the way to go for us as she doesn't even drive a scooter. I've driven motorcycles for 50 years so it wouldn't matter to me. She'll only be using it in the gated community. If we do take it outside that, I'll be driving.

I'll look into NWOW first. I had seen them on the net but there's lots of different ones on the net. Thankfully a few here mentioned it so it's a good starting place.

Once you get an electric quad please let us know how it worked out for you please?

I've read they are a good choice for short trips like in your case. Also some models offer reasonable protection from wind & rain.

• Like 1

Imaginos
Posted
Posted

It looks like the 3 brands I need to look at are NWOW(thanks for the mentions), Rfme, and Kuroma (Kuromake). NWOW an Rfme have real websites while Kuroma I can only find on Facebook which makes me prefer the other two. Price of the NWOW golf, their highest model that I can find is 88k. The top end Rfme is around 150k. The 4 wheel Kuroma that I can find is around 70 but it looks too small for my needs so I'm going to focus on the other two.

• Like 3