3 or 4 wheel ebike

Imaginos
Posted
Posted (edited)

Purchased this morning a Kuda Lion(new model) for 85k. Very similar to the NWOW Golf.

What I learned making this decision:

Most of these 4 wheel models have brakes only on the rear wheels. Only the kuda and the rfm have brakes on the front also. Anyone who ever rode a motorcycle knows 70% of the stopping power is done by the front wheel.

The larger the wattage of the engine, the larger the slope it can climb. The NWOW at 800w claims 8 degrees. The Supremo at 1500w claims 30 degrees. The Kuda at 1000w does not publish a number. There's also a new SuperA with a 1200w motor that sells for 69k. It is much narrower than the others.

Batteries: the rfm (1500w) I initially referenced was 140k with 60v 45ah. They came out with a new version which is 60v 32ah but the price is now 93k. All the rest are 60v 32ah. The batteries in the cheaper SuperA seem to be wider than the others so I suspect they're not gel. 

Width: the kuda is widest with the SuperA the narrowest of the ones I looked at. I never made it to Manila to inspect the rfm so I don't know about that width. Wider means more stable. I ruled out the rfm as they only have service in Manila so that would be problematic.

Now the fun starts. I have to teach the wife how to drive it.

Edited by Imaginos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'd go for a Harley Sportster personally... but too told now to handle one. Imagine the power of one of those up any incline???

Imagine a Harley with tricycle attachment? How cool would that be? Louder, faster and more powerful than anything else around...

I think e-trikes or bikes are still too early in the development stage. Think about recharging, maintenance and repairs? Nobody can deal with that here.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Imaginos said:

The Supremo at 1500w claims 30 degrees

Thank you sir.  :thumbsup:  Just what I was looking for.  Sent them an email asking how much it would cost to ship it to Moalboal.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2024 at 10:20 PM, Gator said:

Pardon my ignorance, but aren’t they essentially the same thing? Electric golf carts vs 4 wheel eBikes - what’s the difference? 

Similar but golf carts are not designed to be driven on roads, rather on golf courses which have a different terrain.  Actually, they are probably more stable than some of the ecarts I've seen.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I think e-trikes or bikes are still too early in the development stage. Think about recharging, maintenance and repairs? Nobody can deal with that here.

What's that? :whistling:

There are a few dedicated ebike repair shops around our city but as to the skill of the mechanics and availability of parts etc ...???  That said, I wonder how complex they are so maybe not so much of an issue.  

Imaginos
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Thank you sir.  :thumbsup:  Just what I was looking for.  Sent them an email asking how much it would cost to ship it to Moalboal.

The rfm should be the same as it also has a 1500w motor.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've upgraded a few ebikes and buggies for friends. The lead acid and gel batteries are not great, they give very little warning that they are going to run out and you'd be lucky to get 2 yrs out of them. 

I replace with Lifepo4 batteries. They weigh less then half of a lead acid, you can run them down pretty low and they still kick out a decent Amperage. A charge will also last a minimum of twice as long and you can monitor each cell from your mobile phone via wifi.

My last upgrade was a 48v lead acid 20aH to a 48v 22aH lifepo4. The old batteries got me about 10ft up a 15 deg slope, the new ones I flew up the slope. 

Nice, I am envious of your skill set.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 8/14/2024 at 6:03 AM, Mike J said:

Nice, I am envious of your skill set.

It's pretty much plug and play, watch a few videos on You Tube and away you go. You've just got to take your time as there is serious power in the batteries.

You can hold the positive and negative on a 12v and not feel anything, I've had a few small zaps just touching two terminals on the Lifepo4 batteries whilst tightening the nuts just down to sweat.  

• Like 3

Imaginos
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It's pretty much plug and play, watch a few videos on You Tube and away you go. You've just got to take your time as there is serious power in the batteries.

You can hold the positive and negative on a 12v and not feel anything, I've had a few small zaps just touching two terminals on the Lifepo4 batteries whilst tightening the nuts just down to sweat.  

Insightful. I'll probably do that when the original batteries wear out on the Kuda. How does cost compare to the gel ones? Where did you source the lifepo4 batteries?

• Like 1