Olympic Games

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

As a kid, and even as an adult I looked forward to the Olympic games, but now, not so much.

I don't know if it is because I live in the PI and am removed from broadcast TV hype but I really didn't know that they were even getting close until I saw a news blurb about troubles in Paris.

Am I becoming more mature? Or just turning into...............

old man.jpg

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Same with me. Started losing interest once they started letting pro's participate.

Best Olympic for me was 1980 winter in Lake Placid, NY. Was in the arena to see USA hockey win the gold medal. Was walking past the arena before the game and someone was selling standing room only tickets at face value!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Same with me. Started losing interest once they started letting pro's participate.

Best Olympic for me was 1980 winter in Lake Placid, NY. Was in the arena to see USA hockey win the gold medal. Was walking past the arena before the game and someone was selling standing room only tickets at face value!

Same here.  And now, look what they did at some of the opening ceremony activities in Paris.  Literally makes me sick.

• Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, earthdome said:

One thing I noticed after living here for a while is that your sexuality, how you identify, really didn't matter. Filipino's for the most part are very accepting. The bakla talent show at the barangay festival was just fun. No one is trying to shove their agenda down your throat here. On the other hand almost everything has become politicized in the US. Now that I am  back in PH I am going to try and unplug from US news for awhile.

Yes, agree.  And I have no issue with sexual choices adults make, except when it is fringe stuff and they try to shove it down everyone's throats to "normalize" it.  And some have the agenda that exposing kids to it will result in normalizing it.  No thanks.  Keep away from kids and especially my kids.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, earthdome said:

One thing I noticed after living here for a while is that your sexuality, how you identify, really didn't matter. Filipino's for the most part are very accepting. The bakla talent show at the barangay festival was just fun. No one is trying to shove their agenda down your throat here. On the other hand almost everything has become politicized in the US. Now that I am  back in PH I am going to try and unplug from US news for awhile.

I'll hold my hand up to saying I don't appreciate baklas at all. Gay, no issue but the overtly camp behaviour is something I find distasteful. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2024 at 7:42 AM, scott h said:

As a kid, and even as an adult I looked forward to the Olympic games, but now, not so much.

I used to be a runner and enjoyed the Olympics track and field events a lot.  I have no clue who the U.S. Olympians are now.  

I always enjoyed pole vaulting and even tried it very unsuccessfully in high school, just during practice.  I never had the upper body strength or speed.   However, I will try to catch Filipino pole vaulter EJ Obiena's event.  He has a great shot at a medal.  Ranked #2 in the world now.  #1 is a  Swedish guy who is amazing.  EJ will need a miracle to get the gold.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

My entire family back in Australia were big fans of the Olympics, as we were all into track and field, swimming and my sister gymnastics (artistic - not a fan of rhythmic) so those were the highlights for us.

Not so much anymore.  I still watch the "blue ribbon" events but not with the excitement of the past.  I'm not sure what it is that's caused my interest to wane but there were some agenda driven/pandering moments in the opening ceremony the other day that really annoyed me. 

I do enjoy the US/Jamacia rivialry in the sprints still, and Simone Biles is like watching poetry in motion (artistic gymnastics).

I don't mind the professional status of many of the competitors, it was about 50 years too late.  Like other sports people, they give up all other aspects of their lives to compete at that level, even before professionalism became a thing in Olympic sports.  Professionalism has opened many of the traditionally amateur sports to more people as they can actually afford to be competitive. Previously the best in the world were those that could afford it, not so much anymore - a larger pool competing full-time. I believe it's why so many more records have tumbled in the last 30 years or so that were set in the amateur only period.  Yes, I know it's only really compensated at the elite level, but what sport isn't?

• Like 3