New ways to calculate labour cost OR is it a scam?

graham59
Posted
Posted

I'm having a (new) room tiled tomorrow.

I have bought and paid for all the materials needed already, and tiler and his assistant will be paid the accepted (and agreed) local rate of pay upon completion....as has always been the arrangement when adding bits on to my shack. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I run with the idea of "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys" with the guys that do the work around here.  Same as Scott, I pay by skill level on a daily basis for longer term projects.  Having said that, I'm sure that they'd love a percentage of the cost, but no, it's not happening. 

I agree with you and that's how we did when we renovated our place. I would never agree to pay a percentage of the materials cost.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

My experience with workers is that they will lie to you, keep asking for  Advance in their wages and then do a runner when they have sucked enough money out of you.

If ther lips are moving then they are lying to you . If you are kind to them you are see as weak. They will steal from you in  a heartbeat 

This is my experience in the province.

They are not to be trusted.

I think I must have been lucky, because the guys working for us was the complete opposite to what you described. This was in the NCR region but the workers came from the province.

They were very honest, hard working good people. On payday I used to round their salary up to an even number, but they came back to to tell me their payment was not correct. It was too big!

Only problem I had with them was that they sucked at planning, lol. I asked them every morning what they needed for the day, before getting to the hardware store. Even doing this I often had to go back, sometimes several times, hahaha.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, scott h said:

Sad but true.

He got the labor money up front and did a runner. So even those who come recommended should not be fully trusted.

Well, I don't see any reason to give the labour money up front. The temptation was obviously to big to resist.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Well, I don't see any reason to give the labour money up front. The temptation was obviously to big to resist.

Agree, even though the guys we use are honest and hard working (after a few hits and misses) we pay daily at the end of the day.  Plus snacks.  They asked for a tab and the local Sari-Sari instead but nope; they were still happy with the arrangement in place. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

I'm having a (new) room tiled tomorrow.

I have bought and paid for all the materials needed already, and tiler and his assistant will be paid the accepted (and agreed) local rate of pay upon completion....as has always been the arrangement when adding bits on to my shack. :thumbsup:

Have they add tile adhesive to their mortar mix.  It helps prevent the tiles from popping.  Many Filipinos do not add tile adhesive because  "we have always done it this way, and tile adhesive is expensive", :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, adhesive is being used...of course. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2024 at 8:16 PM, jimeve said:

Yes, I have heard of this before. I got some plain cheap tiles to counter this and it worked, not a happy tiler and not a good one at that I sacked him and his brother in the end.

Well, I have a new tiler he tiled my guest-house last year and done a good job. He's going to tile my downstairs which is open plan about  150sm He's quoted me a tile of 60 cm tile x 60 peso but he want's me to take up the old tiles. That won't happen.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

Well, I have a new tiler he tiled my guest-house last year and done a good job. He's going to tile my downstairs which is open plan about  150sm He's quoted me a tile of 60 cm tile x 60 peso but he want's me to take up the old tiles. That won't happen.

That is a good price to lay tile especially considering he does a good  job.  Can you hire someone else to remove the old tile?

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

That is a good price to lay tile especially considering he does a good  job.  Can you hire someone else to remove the old tile?

We are going to ask around, I removed the lose tiles myself about 80 tiles. We intended to re use the old tiles.