New ways to calculate labour cost OR is it a scam?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

We are going to ask around, I removed the lose tiles myself about 80 tiles. We intended to re use the old tiles.

I'm finishing renovations and several tile projects.  The problem we came across that that the old tile had heavy and thick adhesive underneath.  We did remove the old adhesive in two CRs but in the main house area, we left it.  We had to shave some doors and lost room height by a few cm, but the overall result is good.

I have almost 200 old 50 X 50 tiles to get rid of!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2024 at 1:02 AM, Viking said:

I talked to a guy some time ago and he said when they had their house renovated earlier this year, the labour cost was calculated as a percentage of the cost of the materials being used!

Here in Subic Bay Freeport, during the building permit application process, you have to provide an estimated materials and labor cost.  If you don't list the labor cost, they will add it at 40% of materials.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm finishing renovations and several tile projects.  The problem we came across that that the old tile had heavy and thick adhesive underneath.  We did remove the old adhesive in two CRs but in the main house area, we left it.  We had to shave some doors and lost room height by a few cm, but the overall result is good.

I have almost 200 old 50 X 50 tiles to get rid of!

The tiles I pulled up have no mortar on the back, clean as a whistle. That gives you an inclination how badly the tiler was. But the rest seem stuck on proper and I may  need to get someone to get them up.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

The tiles I pulled up have no mortar on the back, clean as a whistle.

Same for most of ours in the big living area.  Some got broken but I would guess less than 10%.  For the CRs they were stuck much better and we took off the wall tiles tool.  After the first CR, where they chipped away for a few days, I realized we also had a concrete wall to take down, so I bought big rotary hammer.  It has been well worth the p7000 I paid.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Same for most of ours in the big living area.  Some got broken but I would guess less than 10%.  For the CRs they were stuck much better and we took off the wall tiles tool.  After the first CR, where they chipped away for a few days, I realized we also had a concrete wall to take down, so I bought big rotary hammer.  It has been well worth the p7000 I paid.

Sounds like mortar bed in the living area and tile adhesive plus mortar in the CRs because of wet conditions.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2024 at 9:29 AM, OnMyWay said:

Here in Subic Bay Freeport, during the building permit application process, you have to provide an estimated materials and labor cost.  If you don't list the labor cost, they will add it at 40% of materials.

I can see the logic in that when you calculate an estimated cost of a normal house.

What I find zero logic in, is why the labour cost of tiling a room/CR with expensive tiles should be more expensive than when using cheap tiles. The amount of labour is the same no matter what tiles the customer choose.

If there would be any logic in this, I would say that it's actually easier to work with more expensive materials because the quality is often better.

But it's not the right place to talk about logic 😋

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

I can see the logic in that when you calculate an estimated cost of a normal house.

What I find zero logic in, is why the labour cost of tiling a room/CR with expensive tiles should be more expensive than when using cheap tiles. The amount of labour is the same no matter what tiles the customer choose.

If there would be any logic in this, I would say that it's actually easier to work with more expensive materials because the quality is often better.

But it's not the right place to talk about logic 😋

Totally agree.

But, I guess the logic is that when more expensive tiles are used the customer can afford to pay more for the tiling itself.  So, basically, just another way to get as much as possible out of the job.  

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

What if someone gave you the tiles for free?

Far as I am concerned it is no laborer's business how much I pay for materials.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Totally agree.

But, I guess the logic is that when more expensive tiles are used the customer can afford to pay more for the tiling itself.  So, basically, just another way to get as much as possible out of the job.  

Yes, I understand that is what they think. But in that case it should be the same when you go shopping in the mall, if you are "rich" you pay more for the same item than if you are "poor". Or you pay more for a liter of gasoline if you have an expensive SUV.

I guess I will never understand their "logic"  hahaha.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I paid my Tiler and his mate  by the day and gave them an expected timeline to finish the Job

• Like 2