Federal pay to PI bank

Heeb
Posted
Posted

So I’m trying to get my wife to a point where she’s self sufficient. I’m having another health crisis and this one got me thinking about her being alone if I were to die, ie taking care of taxes and banking. I have prostate cancer and will have robotic surgery in Manila on August 07, I should be okay it hasn’t spread but I also might need radiation.

I want to get her off any need for banking in the states because it’s just easier since atm cards expire and there’s 2factor authentication. She has SSN and FERS retirement, I know SSN isn’t a problem and have the form already but what about Federal retirement pay, I can’t find any information. Any retired fed guys have their pay sent to a PI bank?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Heeb said:

So I’m trying to get my wife to a point where she’s self sufficient. I’m having another health crisis and this one got me thinking about her being alone if I were to die, ie taking care of taxes and banking. I have prostate cancer and will have robotic surgery in Manila on August 07, I should be okay it hasn’t spread but I also might need radiation.

I want to get her off any need for banking in the states because it’s just easier since atm cards expire and there’s 2factor authentication. She has SSN and FERS retirement, I know SSN isn’t a problem and have the form already but what about Federal retirement pay, I can’t find any information. Any retired fed guys have their pay sent to a PI bank?

I'm sorry I can't help but I do wish you a speedy recovery from your procedure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I'm a FERS retiree. I'll do some digging here in the morning and see what I can find out.

• Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, baronapart said:

This article says you can receive payments overseas but doesn't give specifics. I'll keep digging.

https://www.fedweek.com/experts-view/federal-retirement-benefits-if-you-live-outside-the-us/

Maybe it’s just a matter of going to OPM and filling changing direct deposit. Maybe I’ll give that a crack. I also have survivor’s benefits and hopefully with a direct deposit already established it will be seamless, same goes for SS since she will convert to the higher amount that I receive. Then there’s the matter of getting tax forms, I guess I can change it to her email (which she never checks) I’m using my T-Mobile currently.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm sorry I can't help but I do wish you a speedy recovery from your procedure. 

Thanks, robotic surgery is supposed to be faster for recovery. The stress worrying about my wife when I thought it was metastatic was harder than the actual cancer diagnosis.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

Thanks, robotic surgery is supposed to be faster for recovery. The stress worrying about my wife when I thought it was metastatic was harder than the actual cancer diagnosis.

I wish you the best and hopefully successful surgery. Be well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

For all on FERS retirement... besides where deposits are made... it would be good research what, how, when, and where your spouse needs to file in the event they get a FERS retirement survivor benefit. It's complicated and far from automatically happening without lots of paperwork and forms. Same applies for any TSP transfer.  Not saying they will be denied... just that it's a tedious and time consuming process.  Also... make 100% sure names are exact, and marriage certificates are 100% in order.

• Thanks 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Heeb said:

Maybe it’s just a matter of going to OPM and filling changing direct deposit. Maybe I’ll give that a crack. I also have survivor’s benefits and hopefully with a direct deposit already established it will be seamless, same goes for SS since she will convert to the higher amount that I receive. Then there’s the matter of getting tax forms, I guess I can change it to her email (which she never checks) I’m using my T-Mobile currently.

This is the message I got on OPM Retirement Services Online:

Services Online is unable to process requests for International Direct Deposit, please mail your request to OPM, PO Box 45, Boyers PA 16017.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Joey G said:

For all on FERS retirement... besides where deposits are made... it would be good research what, how, when, and where your spouse needs to file in the event they get a FERS retirement survivor benefit. It's complicated and far from automatically happening without lots of paperwork and forms. Same applies for any TSP transfer.  Not saying they will be denied... just that it's a tedious and time consuming process.  Also... make 100% sure names are exact, and marriage certificates are 100% in order.

I’m hoping the RAO in Olongapo would step in and provide some assistance. They are usually very good. I might have a chat with them, I’m sure they’ve encountered this scenario many times. One thing I noticed on the list of documents was a divorce decree. I should probably get one from my previous marriage but there’s no judgement against any retirement pay past or future but i don’t have a copy.

• Like 1