Minor Annoyances

RBM
Posted
Posted

For myself its the over do culture. Be it to much laundry soap in washing machine (makes towels rough) to spending a fortune on dish washing detergent. more makes better attitude.  Now given up as need peace, it will never change. the other annoyances mentioned are not relevant in my situation so guess its 6 of one........

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Interior/Exterior car wash is around 500 in CDO also.  

wow that seems really high.   They had a car wash set up at a golf course near me, and the interior/exterior was only 300 pesos (maybe 280).  Think I gave them 400.    In town the max I normally see is around 250

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Wow, here in the province a daily salary of 500 peso is considered on the high side.  True even for skilled labor, general unskilled labor is less.  A year or so ago there was a sign along the road near our house.  "Car wash 10 peso". 

For 500php you won't get any workers here, anything less than 700php a day and they simply aren't interested such is the amount of development ongoing.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

For 500php you won't get any workers here, anything less than 700php a day and they simply aren't interested such is the amount of development ongoing.  

Similar here. The car wash is much cheaper, like I said before...about 150 or so. But getting casual workers, we are lucky to find any that can find their asses with an ass map for less than 700 or more...
There is definitely inflation occurring - at least in this area. Moderately skilled workers seem to go for 1k/day more or less. And they usually are not super skilled...

But I can see their point... they are in demand, for one. And prices for so many things have skyrocketed in the past couple of years. Even so, they will still find it difficult to feed the average family of, what 4-8?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My partner always wants something done "NOW." It does my head in, things that could wait a few days she just gets it in her head it needs doing and I'm doing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

And prices for so many things have skyrocketed in the past couple of years. Even so, they will still find it difficult to feed the average family of, what 4-8?

Yesterday I ordered a take-out meal for us using Grab for delivery. I had purchased from this small restaurant before and was impressed that the food was good and prices reasonable. I don't remember the previous prices, but I remember yesterday's prices!!!

Two sort of medium to small burgers with cheese and a few other cheap toppings, one order of "carbonara," which was underwhelming and not even close to real carbonara.... just over P1k for the lot! I think next time I will just order Burger King or Jollibee. I know I get more value there than at this place. So far we have struck four nearby restaurants from our list to visit or order from due to poor quality, small sizes of orders and/or overly inflated prices. As several of us have already remarked: I can't figure out how an average Filipino can afford many restaurants? I think these places cater to the above middle class and, of course, the wealthy foreigners?

• Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yesterday I ordered a take-out meal for us using Grab for delivery. I had purchased from this small restaurant before and was impressed that the food was good and prices reasonable. I don't remember the previous prices, but I remember yesterday's prices!!!

Two sort of medium to small burgers with cheese and a few other cheap toppings, one order of "carbonara," which was underwhelming and not even close to real carbonara.... just over P1k for the lot! I think next time I will just order Burger King or Jollibee. I know I get more value there than at this place. So far we have struck four nearby restaurants from our list to visit or order from due to poor quality, small sizes of orders and/or overly inflated prices. As several of us have already remarked: I can't figure out how an average Filipino can afford many restaurants? I think these places cater to the above middle class and, of course, the wealthy foreigners?

In the Philippines as elsewhere the profit margin for restaurants is very small about 5%. Most here are financed by a OFW and don't last long. They think they can make money buying their raw materials at the local markets, cook it and make money. They don't factor in rent, gas, electric, labor and theft. Once they figure out they aren't making money they cut down on portion size in a last ditch effort to stay in business. Never works. There is ONE locally owned successful restaurant that has opened in the last 10 years where we live. He now has 3 locations. But 90% fail within the first year or so once their backer gets tired of shoveling money into a black hole.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Possum said:

In the Philippines as elsewhere the profit margin for restaurants is very small about 5%. Most here are financed by a OFW and don't last long. They think they can make money buying their raw materials at the local markets, cook it and make money. They don't factor in rent, gas, electric, labor and theft. Once they figure out they aren't making money they cut down on portion size in a last ditch effort to stay in business. Never works. There is ONE locally owned successful restaurant that has opened in the last 10 years where we live. He now has 3 locations. But 90% fail within the first year or so once their backer gets tired of shoveling money into a black hole.

My wife bakes and will sell her goods if people ask and when I ask if she makes money she says yes, but factoring in the things you mention I very much doubt it.  She also doesn't build in transport cost to pick up ingredients, for example.  And there is never labour cost factored in.  As for theft, I do admit to stealing the odd cookie here and there and I suspect she doesn't account for that! 

Edited by hk blues
  • Haha 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

I forgot one more.... Stubborn :)