Minor Annoyances

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Possum said:

But 90% fail within the first year or so once their backer gets tired of shoveling money into a black hole.

True of most many, perhaps, most single owner business here.  I bet the closure rate for sari sari stores is even higher?

Edited by Mike J

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

True of most many, perhaps, most single owner business here.  I bet the closure rate for sari sari stores is even higher?

Not my local sari sari store, I spend a small fortune on booze.:shooter:

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

It's a business I struggle to understand the economics of.  Owners have to purchase a fair amount of stock to ensure they have what people want to buy and so have cash tied up.  Add in the issue of stock going out of date.  And so much competition.  And issues with people paying their 'tab.'  Our neighbour opposite has one and has relatively few customers - maybe less than 20 a day.  

I know that other stores will be busier but in general I never see queues/lines of folk buying.  Maybe some rely on high profit, fast turnover items like booze and cigarettes.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's a business I struggle to understand the economics of.  Owners have to purchase a fair amount of stock to ensure they have what people want to buy and so have cash tied up.  Add in the issue of stock going out of date.  And so much competition.  And issues with people paying their 'tab.'  Our neighbour opposite has one and has relatively few customers - maybe less than 20 a day.  

I know that other stores will be busier but in general I never see queues/lines of folk buying.  Maybe some rely on high profit, fast turnover items like booze and cigarettes.  

I believe you are right. Very little traffic at the small sari sari stores and very low traffic at the tiny carendarias... There is not a lot of money floating around so times are tough. Maybe the booze and cigs traffic will support, but not so much the food...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I believe you are right. Very little traffic at the small sari sari stores and very low traffic at the tiny carendarias... There is not a lot of money floating around so times are tough. Maybe the booze and cigs traffic will support, but not so much the food...

It seems more of a vanity project, or hobby, to many here. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

It seems more of a vanity project, or hobby, to many here. 

I have heard that some of these stores are first financed by an OFW for sister, brother, etc.  So the OFW puts up the money for initial stocking the store.  As the store makes sales, the new operator thinks this is all profit and spends the money and do not set aside funds to replenish the stock.  Stock runs out, no money, OFW says you screwed up, store closes.  New store opens up 20 meters down the road because they think it is a great opportunity to make money.  

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some sari sari stores do ok but many many do not. 

A family tita has one that does pretty well, she buys in bulk when there are promos.

Has shaded space for locals to sit and drink as well as selling ice.

And sells ice creams and candy for the kids going home from school.

It's along the road to a subdivision in the province, not many small houses/sari sari.

Location location location as they say.

Having said that her and her daughter are open 16 hours a day, 6 1/2 days a week, for a few thousand peso a week.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have heard that some of these stores are first financed by an OFW for sister, brother, etc.  So the OFW puts up the money for initial stocking the store.  As the store makes sales, the new operator thinks this is all profit and spends the money and do not set aside funds to replenish the stock.  Stock runs out, no money, OFW says you screwed up, store closes.  New store opens up 20 meters down the road because they think it is a great opportunity to make money.  

That type of thinking is present in a lot of such 'easy to start up' businesses such as laundry stores etc - they don't consider maintenance and replacement of equipment.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Under the original topic of Minor Annoyances, I will post this:

Now is the time for Fiesta in our neighbourhood.   Oh boy... the drunken karaoke starts at or before 6am and runs until well after 10pm... And, as we have all noted before, it is at full volume so they feel they get their money's worth. I think maybe that is why so many here don't talk to each other, but yell and play their music so loud and enjoy noise... I believe many are deaf or getting there...

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 10/14/2024 at 10:12 AM, Tommy T. said:

Under the original topic of Minor Annoyances, I will post this:

Now is the time for Fiesta in our neighbourhood.   Oh boy... the drunken karaoke starts at or before 6am and runs until well after 10pm... And, as we have all noted before, it is at full volume so they feel they get their money's worth. I think maybe that is why so many here don't talk to each other, but yell and play their music so loud and enjoy noise... I believe many are deaf or getting there...

Karaoke machines are rented in 24 hour blocks.  Many folks here think; "I paid for 24 hours and I am going to use it for 24 hours."  :whistling:

• Like 2