A 30-year failure (Healthcare)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Mike J said:

In the USA, this would not even cover the co-pay.

That is exacty right. Our Tri-care co-pay is about $3 dollars less that a consultation at Asian Hospital in Alabang. So we wait a month get a $3 dollar check from Tri-care that costs 200 pesos to cash at our Philippine bank :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

So for little stuff like tetanus shots, prescription refills and the like, we just go to a local quack pay pesos and be on our way. Major stuff we go to Asian.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Seeing a neurologist who has his office at Chong Hua in Cebu City.  Very bright, very competent.  Spent about 30 minutes given me multiple tests, etc.  Cost was 1200 peso.  In the USA, this would not even cover the co-pay.  Several years ago I had kidney stones.  I received exactly the same care here as I did in the USA for kidney stone.  The cost here was approximately 10% of what I paid in the USA for the same level of care.   So it depends on where you go for care and what you want to spend.  In the Philippines health care spans the gamut for non-existent, to which doctor, to so-so, to adequate, to very good, to excellent.  My neurologist told me that if I needed cervical surgery the cost would be up to 800K peso (about 14.5K dollar).  I assume he was referring to Chong Hua prices.  Fourteen years ago I had lower back surgery in the USA.  Cost was 86K dollars and it was outpatient surgery.   The cost for very good or excellent health care here is far less than the USA but you may have to travel to another city or province to find it. 

19 minutes ago, scott h said:

That is exacty right. Our Tri-care co-pay is about $3 dollars less that a consultation at Asian Hospital in Alabang. So we wait a month get a $3 dollar check from Tri-care that costs 200 pesos to cash at our Philippine bank :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

So for little stuff like tetanus shots, prescription refills and the like, we just go to a local quack pay pesos and be on our way. Major stuff we go to Asian.

I see your points. My experiences have varied greatly here... St. Lukes offered good care and mostly good doctors for me., But the doctors seem to all be renting space there and not true residents... I don't know about other facilities.

However, as you both noted above, the service can vary a lot between doctors and facilities...  I have heard only positive reactions from friends who have had procedures or experience in Taiwan or Thailand.

I have heard also very positive reports from friends who experienced procedures in Malaysia.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I went to see a local doctor about my infected ingrowing toe-nail at a reputable clinic downtown. Cost me a whopping 250 peso each visit. Only had to go twice because her and your kind advise how to treat the big-toe which has vastly improved.

Many thanks for your advise.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

OK dentistry, but same concept. 

My son had his teeth cleaned and an extraction here a month back - total cost 2,000php.  Perfectly acceptable treatment and outcome - comparable to UK standards.  Can anyone seriously suggest they could get similar treatment for even 5x times the cost anywhere else, including Taiwan and Thailand?  

Same goes for many everyday procedures here and that's what we should be focusing on.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, scott h said:

We have had a campaign  of "faith healers" in our barangay recently. Banners all over the place. A buddy of mine asked me if I believed in faith healing. I said sure!...............I have faith in BIG PHARMA!

FB_IMG_1723474415461.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

I went to see a local doctor about my infected ingrowing toe-nail at a reputable clinic downtown

Find someone local to get a pedicure done once a month, it's less painful and cheaper than corrective procedures & medications.

In addition, it makes yer feet look better.

Edited by MotorSarge
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, jimeve said:

Many thanks for your advise

7 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

In addition, it makes yer feet look better

I will echo what Sarge says. My wife has been suffering from ingrown nails for years. She went to major hospitals, local "doctors" had all sorts of procedures. The last few years, she is just regularly visited by the "nail lady" from the local salon. 

Have not heard her complain for years now.....:nudie:

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

scott h,

I'm surprised yer Asawa does not do her own feet as all the females in our families do.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

does not do her own feet

can't reach them anymore :whistling:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted